Your splash looks almost identical to my boy Rannoch
Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- New Project! NN Sumatras Last post on 10/30/14 at 4:36pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Bantam Australorp? Last post on 6/29/14 at 8:29am in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Light Brahma breeders- bantam or standard Last post on 5/2/14 at 12:02pm in Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries
- Please show me your Ideal bantam ameraucanas :-D Last post on 2/9/12 at 2:23pm in Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries
- Bantam versus standard Last post on 2/22/12 at 9:44am in General breed discussions & FAQ
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
- Sumatra Black By ChickenrandomnessLast edited: 1/10/12
- Sumatra Sumatras Come In Black Being The Most Popular Blue And WhiteLast edited: 1/10/12
My 8 White Leghorn pullets are the friendliest breed I have ever raised. And I have raised quite a few breeds, and some of my breeds include Silkies, EE's, Brahma's, Australorps, etc. But still, my...
I purchased the Premium Chickenguard controller box only about 4 months ago. The motor can handle 2.2lbs and my aluminum door only weight .8lb, which heavy enough to close the door. I purchased...
Very good breed. I have one Buff Brahma pullet named Annika. Like I said up there she's very sweet and gentle towards people butt gets bullied easily by my older hens but she's still a baby so...
Overall I'd say they're a very good breed. I have two Amber Whites named Jelly-Bean aka The Bean and Merlina. They are both very friendly and do very well with my younger brother and sister, they...
I've never bothered with purchasing Happy Hen Treat Mealworms, because I just purchase the mealworms for wild birds. Same exact thing for nearly half the price. And you probably even get more...
Sumatra Thread! - Page 576
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #5752 of 583912/16/15 at 6:57ampost #5753 of 583912/16/15 at 9:52ampost #5754 of 583912/20/15 at 4:44pmpost #5755 of 583912/20/15 at 9:26pmpost #5756 of 583912/21/15 at 7:29amI have been reading this thread from the beginning ! Wow , what a treasure of info. I am so in love this breed. Will be ordering a flock this spring . I will be gearing towards preserving and quality over the years . So , for starters I am looking to do this the most affordable way I can . So a hatchery will be my start. I would appreciate if folks that have bought from hatcheries could help me figure out which hatchery has the best hatchery type Sumatras . I'm sure that over time I will meet those who breed and do so passionately . Then acquiring top blood . All in time . Any info , pics ETC will be appreciated ! Thank you , for all the knowledge from this thread !
Be good to each other 😊post #5757 of 583912/22/15 at 2:07pm
Quote:Originally Posted by SlimPickens74
I have been reading this thread from the beginning ! Wow , what a treasure of info. I am so in love this breed. Will be ordering a flock this spring . I will be gearing towards preserving and quality over the years . So , for starters I am looking to do this the most affordable way I can . So a hatchery will be my start. I would appreciate if folks that have bought from hatcheries could help me figure out which hatchery has the best hatchery type Sumatras . I'm sure that over time I will meet those who breed and do so passionately . Then acquiring top blood . All in time . Any info , pics ETC will be appreciated ! Thank you , for all the knowledge from this thread !
Be good to each other 😊
My first question is do you or will you have an incubator? On that note, if you do not have one or plan to get one, my advice is to get one. What you may not realize is that the worse the quality of the birds, the more you will have to hatch and the longer it will take. You state that your starting on a budget and that is why you want to start with hatchery, I have to stop you there. It is December of 2015. Save the extra few dollars and try to find something that's proven decent to start with in the Spring which is at least FOUR months away(plenty of time to save a couple extra bucks). How many are you planning to have? If you start with bad quality birds you will have to hatch many, MANY birds, and raise to 6-8 months old before being able to properly cull. You will have to be able to house 30+ birds at a time to improve quality in less than a life time. Ok maybe a few years, a lifetime was a bit exaggerated. But seriously, save yourself the time and money of feeding and hatching hundreds of chicks over the years versus starting with good quality. On top of that your giving $ to a hatchery that breeds for quantity rather than quality. In my opinion someone who has spent years perfecting their flock is more deserving of being paid for their lines. It's like buying eggs from Big Y vs. the local farmer. Id much rather pay the extra dollar for local eggs, than eggs from a corporate giant. Again, just my opinion. Starting with good quality is still hard work because you have to maintain that quality. Still have to hatch birds every year to replace your older hens. I can tell you now, the dollar difference is small versus the amount of time it will take to get where you want. Look at my birds for example, they are SQ, I sell my eggs for about 35$ for 10 eggs. Shipped eggs are a gamble but some are bound to hatch and they are bound to be good quality. There are sellers that will sell chicks of good lines for 8-10$ a piece. Again, what you will get are good quality. Thinking about the short run(the initial cost) will not save you any money in the long run. Think about that. Just my friendly advice from one chicken enthusiast to another.
Edited by dsfrango - 12/22/15 at 2:12pmpost #5758 of 583912/22/15 at 5:32pm
They are so beautiful!!! I have two blue pullets but they seem to be a bit darker than yours. Your rooster is simply beautiful!!! I was thinking of getting some black sumatras, but after seeing your roo's picture I think I might get blues, so I can have a mix of blacks, blues and splashes-but will hope for a roo as pretty as your little guy!
Here is one of my pullets-she is very particular and acts like a little princess:
Here is a pic of both of them-not great lighting but quite funny as their little bantam cubalya rooster is quite curious as to why I would be bothering his hens. All three of them have learned to come to the back door and make noise to get treats.post #5759 of 583912/23/15 at 1:55pm
Hello and welcome to the thread!
Regardless of the quality I think your blues are beautiful. Blue is such a fascinating color for chickens. Ill be showing a few of my blues at the Poultry Congress in Massachusetts next month. Here's a couple pics of what I'm bringing along.
Anyone else here showing Sumatra's at the Poultry Congress????post #5760 of 583912/23/15 at 10:01pmYou have beautiful birds. Sumatra'S are very hard to find in our region. I raised beautiful Samatras 20 years ago and am very interested in preserving the breed. The rooster in the pics was hatched in July. He is also in the enhanced photos you saw earlier. Your birds are amazing and have matured beautifully. After taking a 20 year hiatus I am back and will work to improve the breed. It seems to have suffered it is very sad. I love my trio. I also have black. Our weather is insane 60 degrees in Michigan today and I am seeing a spring molt now. I am looking for breeders with quality like yours so I can do my part to help this breed. There is nothing more beautiful than a stunning blue. Please e mail me anytime at email@example.com. I am Not sure if your intent was to insult but please don't assume we are all in this for the same reason. What I have seen happen to this breed is sad and I hope you are selling your birds to people who care. I do!
- Farm Daze
- › EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine, learn... 22 seconds ago
- › Finding Niegerian Dwarves bred specifically for Dairy production. 1 minute ago
- › Any Home Bakers Here? 1 minute ago
- › Duck eye infection 1 minute ago
- › 6 month old bantam cochins, haven't got an egg yet Another UPDATE!!!! 2 minutes ago
- › The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding Thread from a Breeder without... 2 minutes ago
- › Granny's gone and done it again 3 minutes ago
- › Baytril dose? 4 minutes ago
- › What breed is this? 4 minutes ago
- › Warriors Cats FAN CLUB!!!!!!!! 4 minutes ago
- › Leghorn by RodNTN
- › ChickenGuard Automatic Door Opener by speedy2020
- › Brahma by Flock Master64
- › Amber Whites by Flock Master64
- › Happy Hen Treats Mealworm Frenzy 3.5 oz Bag by Venevee
- › Orpington by Venevee
- › Swedish Flower chicken by cree57i
- › Speckled Sussex by PeepersMama
- › Easter Eggers by PeepersMama
- › Barred Rock by PeepersMama
- › Clucksville PTA/information page
- › Looking for Calm Breeds of Chickens? ~ Click...
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age
- › Chicken Exhibitions and Showing: How to get...
- › Glossary of Chicken Terms
- › -Feathers-Rp member page
- › ~The Quackers- Past and Present~
- › New to Chickens and don't know witch...
- › Wound Care for chickens.
- › Autumn and chickens.