Do any of you live in, or know any one who has Sumatra in Ohio? I have a black Sumatra rooster but none of my hens are sumatra. Would prefer blue, but black would be fine. Only want one or two and don't need to be show at all. I'd be happy with a couple cull hens
Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- New Project! NN Sumatras Last post on 10/30/14 at 4:36pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Bantam Australorp? Last post on 6/29/14 at 8:29am in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Light Brahma breeders- bantam or standard Last post on 5/2/14 at 12:02pm in Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries
- Please show me your Ideal bantam ameraucanas :-D Last post on 2/9/12 at 2:23pm in Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries
- Bantam versus standard Last post on 2/22/12 at 9:44am in General breed discussions & FAQ
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
- Sumatra Black By ChickenrandomnessLast edited: 1/10/12
- Sumatra Sumatras Come In Black Being The Most Popular Blue And WhiteLast edited: 1/10/12
If ever I had to restrict myself to a single breed to meat all of my meat, egg and "chicken therapy" needs, this would be the one. Not only are my NNs prolific layers of large to jumbo sized...
I love this product. I cannot believe no one has reviewed it yet. I started with the chick version- and moved up to this. While at work all day, I wanted to keep my girls busy. This product is...
I bought one of these when I first got my birds- I have since converted it to an oyster-shell dispenser- works wonderfully for that function in my coop. This past summer, I bought a second one to...
A very good book. It's full of very useful information, pictures, and tips. I'd recommend it.
I think this waterer is great. It only holds 2 gallons of water so if you're a younger, older or out of shape it's not too much work to carry from the hose to the coop. It's it's very easy to fill...
Sumatra Thread! - Page 583post #5822 of 58395/24/16 at 3:07pmQuote:
Meyer hatchery supposedly has chicks. They would be hatchery chicks if still available. They are in Ohio, you could call and see, probably have to order a minimum if shipped.
Daughter-in-law bought a pair off someone in Cincinnati back in the spring, paid $50 each, both survived and were half grown birds when they went to pick them up. However, I do not know contact info on them.
Edited by Wild Trapper - 5/24/16 at 3:12pm"You have to prepare to die to really understand how to live"."You have to prepare to die to really understand how to live".post #5823 of 58396/1/16 at 5:42pm
Trying to catch up here, it's been awhile since I've logged on. I went to the Central Maine Poultry show this past weekend and did well with my Sumatras. AOSB. There was one other guy with 5 Sumatras himself that looked pretty good also.post #5824 of 58396/1/16 at 7:22pmQuote:
Congrat's on your win.
I have Bantam welsummers, Bantam Olive eggers, MGB, LF Welsummers, BCM, BLRW, LF Buff and Golden Laced polish x Tolbunt, LF Sumatras, Bantam Sumatras, d'anvers, CCL, Bantam wyndottes and bunch of free range birdspost #5825 of 58396/1/16 at 10:40pm
My sumatra chicks at one month! Both look like their going to be black but I'm hoping for one of each sex! (I thought Silkies were hard to sex...oh boy 😂)D'ove "Mama" - Japanese Bantam Hen Blue "Blueberry" - Serama Hen Little Hawk "Buddy" - Serama/Silkie Cockerel Mouse "Lil Mouse" - Serama/Silkie PulletD'ove "Mama" - Japanese Bantam Hen Blue "Blueberry" - Serama Hen Little Hawk "Buddy" - Serama/Silkie Cockerel Mouse "Lil Mouse" - Serama/Silkie Pulletpost #5826 of 58396/2/16 at 9:06am
Thank you Gamebirds only! Sumatras seem extremely popular with the judges the past couple years. I have literally won Best AOSB at both shows I've been to this Spring and a couple last year.
Edited by dsfrango - 6/2/16 at 9:06ampost #5827 of 58396/2/16 at 3:34pmQuote:
Nice looking hen.post #5828 of 58396/4/16 at 4:29pmpost #5829 of 58396/4/16 at 6:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by gamebirdsonly
Congrat's on your win.
silkies and (projects), sumatras, lakenvelders and (projects), frizzles, polish and (2 projects), black sexlinks, turkeys, red golden pheasants, Peepers, dogs, cats, fish, horses, wild kids, and one very understanding DH, come on over for a visit to the crazy farm
silkies and (projects), sumatras, lakenvelders and (projects), frizzles, polish and (2 projects), black sexlinks, turkeys, red golden pheasants, Peepers, dogs, cats, fish, horses, wild kids, and one very understanding DH, come on over for a visit to the crazy farmpost #5830 of 58396/8/16 at 3:08am
I have a question and I am hoping some one can answer or direct me towards a resource. The all mighty chicken wing: I am trying to understand better the effect of wing shape and placement on the body to flight performance of chickens.
My question is what sort of wing does a chicken have? (High Speed, Eliptical, High aspect ratio, Soaring or in between two types)
My next is does placement effect flight? What I mean is some breeds have a clearly high placement, others a more Jungle Fowl placement and others seem near vertical and so on.
I found one study that concluded asymmetrical wings totally effect the birds flight distance, it also had notes from several other bird studies that helped with understanding the effect of tail symmetry... totally important in long-tailed species, not so much in short tailed species. Toe symmetry turns out to be important in landing accuracy too from that study. Leg symmetry mainly seemed to effect walking. Asymmetric primary flight feathers also equals poor flight performance.
Does anyone know if tail placement effects flight? or walking ability?May your birds always make you smile.May your birds always make you smile.
- Farm Daze
- › Pennsylvania!! Unite!! 7 seconds ago
- › EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine, learn... 13 seconds ago
- › Granny's gone and done it again 19 seconds ago
- › Which type of Wyandotte are my girls? 22 seconds ago
- › Does this egg look fertile? 33 seconds ago
- › Did you know..... Chat Thread! W/ Hosts: DwayneNLiz,... 1 minute ago
- › FOWL Pumpkin Eating Photo Contest! Halloween Hatch-a-Long 2016 w/... 1 minute ago
- › 9 weeks - hen or rooster? 1 minute ago
- › What is this chicken thinking? 1 minute ago
- › Breed and sex these please? 2 minutes ago
- › Naked Neck-turken by DesertChic
- › Resolve Sustainable Solutions Farmer's Helper HotCake Poultry... by KrisCVT
- › Little Giant Hanging Waterer by KrisCVT
- › The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens: Everything... by Flock Master64
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by Flock Master64
- › Yardbird Chicken Plucker by duluthralphie
- › Brinsea Mini Eco Egg Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Sanven Janoel 48 Eggs Digital Automatic Turner Incubator Hatcher... by southernhusky
- › Polish by Faverolle Lover
- › Gramma's No Time To Cook Chicken Chicken
- › Essential Oils and chickens!
- › Tips to Create a Chicken Coop That You and...
- › One little quail chick
- › Clucksville Assignment/Work page (check often)
- › Our Hen House
- › Small Chicken Coop Designs Pictures Of...
- › Clucksville PTA/information page
- › Looking for Calm Breeds of Chickens? ~ Click...
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age