Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- What breed is this and is it boy or girl? Last post on 5/24/16 at 1:26pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Thoughts on this heritage breed..... Last post on 2/24/12 at 12:39pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- I'm sure I don't what to hear the answer to this but... (PR or RB?) Last post on 11/15/11 at 7:55pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- almost 2 weeks old...what do you think? Last post on 10/21/15 at 10:31am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- What breed is this colorful chick? Last post on 7/11/16 at 5:04am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
- Cornish Wlr White Laced Red Lf CornishLast edited: 1/10/12
- Cornish White Lf CornishLast edited: 1/10/12
If ever I had to restrict myself to a single breed to meat all of my meat, egg and "chicken therapy" needs, this would be the one. Not only are my NNs prolific layers of large to jumbo sized...
I love this product. I cannot believe no one has reviewed it yet. I started with the chick version- and moved up to this. While at work all day, I wanted to keep my girls busy. This product is...
I bought one of these when I first got my birds- I have since converted it to an oyster-shell dispenser- works wonderfully for that function in my coop. This past summer, I bought a second one to...
A very good book. It's full of very useful information, pictures, and tips. I'd recommend it.
I think this waterer is great. It only holds 2 gallons of water so if you're a younger, older or out of shape it's not too much work to carry from the hose to the coop. It's it's very easy to fill...
Cornish Thread - Page 194
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #1932 of 308412/10/15 at 5:31pmQuote:one of my Cockrels,and one of my pullets has a few WHITE. wing feathers. I'm. totally confused about what they should look likeOriginally Posted by big medicine
Curious, did you have a gold based hen in your breeding pen ? The reason I ask is looking at your cockerel's saddles, I can't decipher if I think he might be split gold/silver, or maybe carrying some sort of red enhancer. Compared to the male in your avatar, which looks to be silver/silver with bright saddles, and hackles.post #1933 of 308412/10/15 at 6:17pm
JR These references assume that you have some knowledge of genetics already, at least high school biology. I've found them to be very useful. When I started out it all seemed impossible, but now it's starting to make sense- you just have to keep at it! I was never able to find anything that seemed like baby steps....... it was painful right from the start but it was worth persevering.
Here's a good place to start: https://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/genetics-mini-series/
And if that makes sense, here's the next one to read: http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page0.html
then: http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/ (more of a reference)
Edited by CanadianBuckeye - 12/10/15 at 6:23pmpost #1934 of 308412/10/15 at 6:51pmpost #1935 of 308412/11/15 at 3:23amQuote:
In my case there were outcrosses that brought in some color traits."It just goes to show you, you don't have to be crazy to raise Cornish,...................... but it helps." Lewis Straitpost #1936 of 308412/11/15 at 3:33amQuote:
The erratic white wing, and occasionally in my Brahmas, foot feather, seems to come about independently from whether the bird is gold, silver, or split(males only). I am unsure as to the genetics behind it.
As to what they should look like, a copy of The Standard Of Perfection will show you exactly what you are striving for, in picture and description, for every breed and variety of that breed that is recognized by the American Poultry Asspciation"It just goes to show you, you don't have to be crazy to raise Cornish,...................... but it helps." Lewis Straitpost #1937 of 308412/11/15 at 5:48amAnd with those words Big medicine you confirmed what I've all ready asked the hatchery about,Namely what was used in their outcrops to improve egg production. The links you provided are very helpful!!! I had all ready planed on a pairing of the birds show I.g white in an effort to get more white.. Actually it's not a clean white. it's a very Smokey white,or very pale graypost #1938 of 308412/11/15 at 11:17am
Actually I believe CanadianBuckeye hooked you up with the links. Some good ones I was not aware of."It just goes to show you, you don't have to be crazy to raise Cornish,...................... but it helps." Lewis Straitpost #1939 of 308412/11/15 at 3:55pmpost #1940 of 308412/11/15 at 4:39pmQuote:
Well once you start getting into this stuff you may not thank me after all LOL!!!!! You are very welcome.
If you find you like chicken genetics , the two books by Sigrid van Dort are well worth the money. - The Genetics of Chicken Colours and the Genetics of Chicken Extremes (sic) ( probably should be extremities?) http://www.chickencolours.com/ If you do plan on buying them there is an American re seller, listed on that website- don't order the European ones. I had no trouble having them shipped to Canada from the US.
- Farm Daze
- › Granny's gone and done it again 8 seconds ago
- › The Old Folks Home 17 seconds ago
- › How much seperation between chicken and quail 30 seconds ago
- › EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine, learn... 53 seconds ago
- › Lazy or sick chicken? 1 minute ago
- › The last letter Game 1 minute ago
- › Cornish rocks and white leghorns 1 minute ago
- › North Carolina 2 minutes ago
- › respiratory illness need advice!! 2 minutes ago
- › Blind and traumatized chicken 2 minutes ago
- › Naked Neck-turken by DesertChic
- › Resolve Sustainable Solutions Farmer's Helper HotCake Poultry... by KrisCVT
- › Little Giant Hanging Waterer by KrisCVT
- › The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens: Everything... by Flock Master64
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by Flock Master64
- › Yardbird Chicken Plucker by duluthralphie
- › Brinsea Mini Eco Egg Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Sanven Janoel 48 Eggs Digital Automatic Turner Incubator Hatcher... by southernhusky
- › Polish by Faverolle Lover
- › Gramma's No Time To Cook Chicken Chicken
- › Essential Oils and chickens!
- › Tips to Create a Chicken Coop That You and...
- › One little quail chick
- › Clucksville Assignment/Work page (check often)
- › Our Hen House
- › Small Chicken Coop Designs Pictures Of...
- › Clucksville PTA/information page
- › Looking for Calm Breeds of Chickens? ~ Click...
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age