Day 21 - No chicks hatching out or peeping or chirping or moving! Help - Page 6
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickens
Made it through the night and he is still breathing an chirping. The blood vessel that it's the largest is just on top of his head has gotten smaller so I'm going too wait it out till it goes down some more and then proceed with the hatch. Also I used the bacitracin as recommended in the article and it has helped a lot with keeping the membrane from drying out so I was able to get a couple hours of sleep last night . Will let you know how the hatch goes later today or when it is possible to attempt .
What should I do?? My daughter's teacher hatched two eggs in a classroom incubator last year. We took them home...50/50, got one hen and one rooster. Trying to do full life cycle here...she had the incubator going again with eggs the school get and I put 7 of our eggs in to see what happened. One went bad. Two hatched on Friday. My 4 are the only ones left. Today is day 24. We had agreed to wait until today (Monday) before pulling the plug. Before I let her I wanted to do the float test just to make sure. 3 didn't pass but one is bobbing and rocking. She doesn't have a thermometer or way to read humidity in the incubator. I put a small thermometer in and it appears to be about 97 degrees (I don't even know how to turn it up). I am worrying that it's not humid enough and was going to put a wet towel in. I am scared about the whole "helping" thing. I was over the moon that I even got two. I just don't want to abort the one that is rocking in the water! I don't want to be too much of a pain since she was nice enough to let "crash" her incubator in the first place.
It's day 21, and I have one lone survivor from a batch of 24 from Trader Joe's. It was shaking yesterday and this morning not so much. Naturally, I became worried as I am rooting for this little one. I played it chirping sounds and it began to shake. Happy days! Now, I'm a little worried as I my incubator regulates temp but not humidity. I increased the humidity to 65% and now it is lowering to 60%, I really don't want to open the incubator to put more water in, but I also want it to be ok. Any advice?
Also, if this little one does hatch, it will be on its own until my second batch which is due in two weeks time. Will it be alright until then or should I get a 'brother' or 'sister' :) Thanks.