BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Quail › Japanese Coturnix Quail Color Genetics (Plumage mutations)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Japanese Coturnix Quail Color Genetics (Plumage mutations) - Page 6

post #51 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup Chillin 

50 years ago is that all. 
The first report I know of bringing in the Coturnix coturnix Japonica is that they were brought to America by bird fanciers around 1870.  That is from the University of California - Davis.  Evidently they keep records.  So if you want to argue with someone on the proper nominclature for the bird contact the University of California - Davis and tell them they have it all wrong.  I am sure they will want to know that their records are wrong and that Marsh farms named them differently.  Around 80 years after they had already been in the country.


Didn't say he was the first, just that he import the common quail in the 60s, and started mass producing them.   just because the japanese where here first doesn't prove his were japanese, because they where the common quail.

"THE COUNT"



"Live Like You Were Dying"

Memorial Thread


_
Reply
"THE COUNT"



"Live Like You Were Dying"

Memorial Thread


_
Reply
post #52 of 68

http://www.borealforest.org/world/birds/common_quail.htm

"THE COUNT"



"Live Like You Were Dying"

Memorial Thread


_
Reply
"THE COUNT"



"Live Like You Were Dying"

Memorial Thread


_
Reply
post #53 of 68

And this has anything to do with Color Mutations? 

This is a Sticky is for the Color Mutations as well as other Mutations that come up. 
It is a sticky so that people will know what mutations can come up.  So they are not surprised when one shows up in their birds.   

It is not a general topic dicussion thread.  At least it shouldn't be. 
That is not why I asked for this to be stickied and I did because of the important information on the Mutations.   

Now I no longer want my birds associated with Marsh farms.  I definately want my Manchurian Gold's name changed in the international world of Coturnix. 
I vote for a new name.

I still breed Sicilian Buttercups, and Coturnix quail - As Big As You Can Get Them.  No, I stilll don't sell eggs or birds.
Reply
I still breed Sicilian Buttercups, and Coturnix quail - As Big As You Can Get Them.  No, I stilll don't sell eggs or birds.
Reply
post #54 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup Chillin 

And this has anything to do with Color Mutations? 

This is a Sticky is for the Color Mutations as well as other Mutations that come up. 
It is a sticky so that people will know what mutations can come up.  So they are not surprised when one shows up in their birds.   

It is not a general topic dicussion thread.  At least it shouldn't be. 
That is not why I asked for this to be stickied and I did because of the important information on the Mutations.   

Now I no longer want my birds associated with Marsh farms.  I definately want my Manchurian Gold's name changed in the international world of Coturnix. 
I vote for a new name.


Reason I went to the common quail, header said Japanese Quail Plumage -color mutation,  three are common quail mutation.   the manchurian gold was a japanese, but was crossed with the common quail.

"THE COUNT"



"Live Like You Were Dying"

Memorial Thread


_
Reply
"THE COUNT"



"Live Like You Were Dying"

Memorial Thread


_
Reply
post #55 of 68

I propose the name of the coloring on this bird to be hence forth called Egypian Gold.  Note the defined dark markings of an Egypian design on the various shades of gold on the Coturnix coturnix japonica.  I have seen pictures of birds with this same coloring from various countries around the world.   I propose that the name be changed from the Manchurian Gold of old to a name showing a more accurate description of the birds colors.  I will not breed Manchurian Golds and will cull any bird not showing these markings.         

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/17739_m_gold_hen.jpg

I still breed Sicilian Buttercups, and Coturnix quail - As Big As You Can Get Them.  No, I stilll don't sell eggs or birds.
Reply
I still breed Sicilian Buttercups, and Coturnix quail - As Big As You Can Get Them.  No, I stilll don't sell eggs or birds.
Reply
post #56 of 68

What ever you want to call it is fine with me, but thats sure a purdy bird... Bill

 

An Indian says you search in vain for what you cannot find. He says you've found a thousand ways of runnin' down your time. An Indian didn't scream it; he said it in a song. And he's never been know to be wrong..   Jeremiah Johnson

 

Butler Bobs, Chukar, Albino Chukar, Blue slate turkey, Black Copper Marans, Buff Orpingtons, LF Gold Laced Cochins, Gambel's Quail, Blue scale Quail, New...

Reply

 

An Indian says you search in vain for what you cannot find. He says you've found a thousand ways of runnin' down your time. An Indian didn't scream it; he said it in a song. And he's never been know to be wrong..   Jeremiah Johnson

 

Butler Bobs, Chukar, Albino Chukar, Blue slate turkey, Black Copper Marans, Buff Orpingtons, LF Gold Laced Cochins, Gambel's Quail, Blue scale Quail, New...

Reply
post #57 of 68

i agree with Bill........purdy burdy....LOL;)

In GOD we trust
mom to 3 grown "kids". married to DH for 36 yrs. 1 dog( 1 BostonTerrier/Beagle  rescue) 1 mutt rabbit( also a rescue) ,2 rescue senior citizen Budgies ,assorted  Coturnix , and 2 ducks...so far ...LOL....
Reply
In GOD we trust
mom to 3 grown "kids". married to DH for 36 yrs. 1 dog( 1 BostonTerrier/Beagle  rescue) 1 mutt rabbit( also a rescue) ,2 rescue senior citizen Budgies ,assorted  Coturnix , and 2 ducks...so far ...LOL....
Reply
post #58 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup Chillin 

I propose the name of the coloring on this bird to be hence forth called Egypian Gold.  Note the defined dark markings of an Egypian design on the various shades of gold on the Coturnix coturnix japonica.  I have seen pictures of birds with this same coloring from various countries around the world.   I propose that the name be changed from the Manchurian Gold of old to a name showing a more accurate description of the birds colors.  I will not breed Manchurian Golds and will cull any bird not showing these markings.         

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/17739_m_gold_hen.jpg


I was going to ask the quail gurus about this. Cause My "Manchurian Gold" Roos look like the common pics I see but now the ones I hatch look like this. Which are correct markings or are they considered different colors? The Rookie needs to know what to keep or eat big_smiledroolin

My rabbits breed like rabbits.....
Reply
My rabbits breed like rabbits.....
Reply
post #59 of 68

Personally I keep the lighter ones. Well I keep the ones that look like this:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/63214_quail_046.jpg
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/63214_quail_042.jpg

post #60 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo 

Personally I keep the lighter ones. Well I keep the ones that look like this:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/63214_quail_046.jpg
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/63214_quail_042.jpg


My roos look like that. I think I'm gong make my next breeder pen of Golds and see what happens. I think I should have enough hens from this last hatch to do that. I am kind of partial to the darker ones though. I think they're cool looking, they look like mini hawks....  lol

My rabbits breed like rabbits.....
Reply
My rabbits breed like rabbits.....
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Quail
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Quail › Japanese Coturnix Quail Color Genetics (Plumage mutations)