Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- Help sexing wyandotte chickens- 2 weeks on update Last post on 6/22/16 at 8:47am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- looking for opinions on breeds Last post on 4/9/16 at 3:15am in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Which one of these is most freindly/ your favorite? Last post on 7/5/16 at 9:00pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- what breed are my laying hens?!?!?!?! Last post on 4/23/13 at 12:16pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Help with breed and sex Last post on 8/10/16 at 12:42pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
- Wyandotte Silver Laced Wyandotte By Cat1994Last edited: 1/10/12
- Wyandotte Silver Laced By CarondesignLast edited: 1/10/12
These are my absolute favorite chicken. Each one of them has their own personality, as well as their own unique patterns and colors of "flowers". They will run to you when they see you and come...
I have never had a hen, but my friend bought me one, who was crazy, and then all her chickens got stolen. Then she got another one for herself, and that girl is crazy, and then I got one for me,...
We got 5 BO chicks when we first started out, two of which turned out to be roos, one of which is still alive and he is amazing. Super gentle, especially with younger hens, and is only a little -...
If I was going to have only one breed forever, it would very likely be EE's. If I sit down outside, I've got 5 chickens trying to fit on my lap! They are one of the few chickens I let little kids...
I love my brahmas. My three buff brahmas are BBF's - constantly hanging out - ALL. DAY. LONG. They were raised by a broody hen and are still quite happy to come up and sit in your lap. My light...
Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD! - Page 737post #7362 of 79742/14/16 at 11:18amQuote:
I have a classified ad, if you go to my profile you should be able to see itpost #7363 of 79742/16/16 at 6:03pmpost #7364 of 79742/17/16 at 2:36am
Here is my little breeding flock for this year, 2 cocks, 4 hens and 1 pullet.
Edited by Sclark73 - 2/17/16 at 2:36amBlue Laced Red Wyandotte LF and Bantam, Swedish Flower Hens, Salmon Faverolles, Buckeye, Iowa Blue, Speckled Sussex, Muskovy ducks & Toulouse geese.Blue Laced Red Wyandotte LF and Bantam, Swedish Flower Hens, Salmon Faverolles, Buckeye, Iowa Blue, Speckled Sussex, Muskovy ducks & Toulouse geese.post #7365 of 79742/19/16 at 4:12ampost #7366 of 79742/19/16 at 5:15ampost #7367 of 79742/19/16 at 5:29amyes, I ordered 5 speckled Sussex pullets with the Wyandottes. Even the few chicks thats somewhat darker than all the other ones? You still think they will all be splash? How come Murray hatchery doesn't throw in different roosters to throw some more color? Everything I've read about McMurray hatchery is they only produce splash chicks?
Edited by MrChickMagnet - 2/19/16 at 5:29ampost #7368 of 79742/19/16 at 5:57amQuote:Originally Posted by MrChickMagnet
yes, I ordered 5 speckled Sussex pullets with the Wyandottes. Even the few chicks thats somewhat darker than all the other ones? You still think they will all be splash? How come Murray hatchery doesn't throw in different roosters to throw some more color? Everything I've read about McMurray hatchery is they only produce splash chicks?
All those light birds are "splash". I don't know why they'd only sell splash birds because that would mean that they have only splash roosters and splash hens which should get lighter and lighter after a few generations. They could have all splash hens and black phase roosters and sell 100% blue or they could keep two pens, sell all the blues and keep for their breeding pens black roos/splash hens and splash roos/black hens and sell 100% blues from both pens. I've got a splash roo and my hens are black, blue and splash so I only get blue and splash but I may replace my roo with a black (I'd have to buy one) and save only my splash pullets for my next generation of breeding because the blues are more popular.
The blue gene is a "leaky gene" so you can have lighter and darker of blue and splash. Sometimes I have trouble telling a blue chick from a black (and really, both of those above could be "blue"). The splash birds that I get are usually darker than the one in the photo above but they are all so easy to tell from blue or black. You should never have a splash chicks that comes remotely close in appearance to a blue or black.post #7369 of 79742/19/16 at 12:05pmI ordered blrw from Meyer 2 summers ago and all my chicks were splash as well.
Mommy to 3, foster-human for HANDDS to the Rescue
Whittling the numbers down for winter.....down to around 45. BLRW project on hold again. HOPING to have F1 Olive eggers and blue and black sex-link eggs/chicks locally in the spring.
Mommy to 3, foster-human for HANDDS to the Rescue
Whittling the numbers down for winter.....down to around 45. BLRW project on hold again. HOPING to have F1 Olive eggers and blue and black sex-link eggs/chicks locally in the spring.post #7370 of 79742/19/16 at 12:13pmI would imagine that they use splash roosters so that they don't get any black laced chicks. If a person wanted the black laced variety, they would just order golden laced wyandottes instead. In hatchery stock, there's not really much difference in color between the black laced reds and golden laced.2 dogs, 6 cats, 40 chickens (australorps, wyandottes, and easter eggers), lots of tropical fish, and a toddler.2 dogs, 6 cats, 40 chickens (australorps, wyandottes, and easter eggers), lots of tropical fish, and a toddler.
- Farm Daze
- › *In the Arctic* A Fox RP 46 seconds ago
- › Serious moulting or something else? 2 minutes ago
- › Show Off Your American Gamefowl!!! 7 minutes ago
- › Multiple sick chickens 9 minutes ago
- › RodNTN's chat thread! 13 minutes ago
- › silkie sexing 14 minutes ago
- › Fall/Autumn Poultry PHOTO Contest! Halloween Hatch-a-Long 2016 w/... 14 minutes ago
- › EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine, learn... 14 minutes ago
- › Minnesota! 15 minutes ago
- › Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST! 15 minutes ago
- › Swedish Flower chicken by cree57i
- › Speckled Sussex by PeepersMama
- › Orpington by PeepersMama
- › Easter Eggers by PeepersMama
- › Brahma by PeepersMama
- › Barred Rock by PeepersMama
- › Freedom Ranger by bobhoke
- › Ideal Poultry salmon faverolles by mangobees
- › Chick-N-Hutch Chicken Hutch - 1490 by The Duck Ladie
- › Silver Appleyard by hooktontravel
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age
- › Chicken Exhibitions and Showing: How to get...
- › Glossary of Chicken Terms
- › -Feathers-Rp member page
- › ~The Quackers- Past and Present~
- › New to Chickens and don't know witch...
- › Wound Care for chickens.
- › Autumn and chickens.
- › Don't Know Where To Find/Ask/Post...
- › A Flock Tale