Newest of the newbies here. I was hoping to detail some of my plans and maybe some experts could help me figure out if it is a good plan or what to change. We have about a month till the babies get here:
- after opening box I will place it under the heat lamp and dip their beaks in water and food. I am also going to get GroGel for them to get some nutrients.
- Brooder set up: Using a large sized dog crate with cardboard around the bottom half, newspapers with paper towels on top for the floor. The heater will be a red heat bulb and I will place the thermometer on floor level. Thinking about using some of the hay they are shipped with for bedding, as long as it's clean. Or would a small clean towel work better? I am hesitant to use shavings since I have heard of some chicks dying from eating it. When they get bigger I want to try using sand so they can kick it around. I will be keeping the chicks in my house in a unused stairwell so the temp should be pretty consistent.
- feeding them medicated chick starter
- thinking of putting electrolytes in the water, I'm assuming unflavored Pedialyte would work ok.
- I am not going to get them vaccinated for Mareks since I am only getting four and they will never be exposed to any other chickens. From my research, this seems to be a safe gamble but your experiences may tell me differently.
I THINK I covered everything but I'm sure the professionals will find holes in it. I am open to any constructive criticism or tips!