New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Barred Rocks!! - Page 43

post #421 of 714

hey everyone i have a question. I was hoping someone who knows genetics could give me a complete list of the genes that a barred rock carrys

post #422 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steen View Post
 

hey everyone i have a question. I was hoping someone who knows genetics could give me a complete list of the genes that a barred rock carrys

Female

EE co+co+ db+db+ pg+pg+ ml+ml+ Cha+Cha+ mh+mh+ di+di+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ i+i+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+Mo+ B- S- Choc+-

 

Male

EE co+co+ db+db+ pg+pg+ ml+ml+ Cha+Cha+ mh+mh+ di+di+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ i+i+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+Mo+ BB SS Choc+Choc+

 

Jeff


Edited by catdaddyfro - 10/3/13 at 6:42am
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, you can make a purse out of it, but it won't be silk. LOL
 
Maybe in about another 30-40 years I'll get this "being an expert" thing figured out by then. LOL
 
Still trying to practice Granny's advice 'if you don't have anything nice to say then keep it to yourself' LOL been at it for 45 years still don't have it down pat yet!
Reply
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, you can make a purse out of it, but it won't be silk. LOL
 
Maybe in about another 30-40 years I'll get this "being an expert" thing figured out by then. LOL
 
Still trying to practice Granny's advice 'if you don't have anything nice to say then keep it to yourself' LOL been at it for 45 years still don't have it down pat yet!
Reply
post #423 of 714

thanks so much catdaddyfro

post #424 of 714

700

 

700

 

700

Can anyone tell me if they see a cockerel in this group?  They are around 13 wks

Wife and proud Mom of 2 girls ages 18 & 9.  We have a flock of 19 chickens so far. 5 RIR (productions), 6 EE, 3 RSL, 3 BR and 2 RIW (productions).  Thank you everyone for being so helpful in our chicken raising journey.

Reply

Wife and proud Mom of 2 girls ages 18 & 9.  We have a flock of 19 chickens so far. 5 RIR (productions), 6 EE, 3 RSL, 3 BR and 2 RIW (productions).  Thank you everyone for being so helpful in our chicken raising journey.

Reply
post #425 of 714

Delight--those all look to be female to me.

Rachel BB

 

"At the cross You beckon me, You draw me gently to my knees and I am lost for words, so lost in love I am sweetly broken, wholly surrendered"

Reply

Rachel BB

 

"At the cross You beckon me, You draw me gently to my knees and I am lost for words, so lost in love I am sweetly broken, wholly surrendered"

Reply
post #426 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrae View Post
 

Delight--those all look to be female to me.

 

Thank you, that is what I was hoping.  We have at least 2 cockerels in my production red group same age.

Wife and proud Mom of 2 girls ages 18 & 9.  We have a flock of 19 chickens so far. 5 RIR (productions), 6 EE, 3 RSL, 3 BR and 2 RIW (productions).  Thank you everyone for being so helpful in our chicken raising journey.

Reply

Wife and proud Mom of 2 girls ages 18 & 9.  We have a flock of 19 chickens so far. 5 RIR (productions), 6 EE, 3 RSL, 3 BR and 2 RIW (productions).  Thank you everyone for being so helpful in our chicken raising journey.

Reply
post #427 of 714
I am thinking about getting 15 barred rocks, and I have some questions. Are they good free rangers? How many eggs do they lay on average? Are they capable of thriving in cold winters and hot summers? Thanks!
post #428 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonkey4 View Post

I am thinking about getting 15 barred rocks, and I have some questions. Are they good free rangers? How many eggs do they lay on average? Are they capable of thriving in cold winters and hot summers? Thanks!

 

There are differences between flocks and differences between hatchery birds and breeder stock.  I've had both for some time and there are similarities.  A well bred Barred Rock is a solid layer, a very good layer.  It was a dual purpose bird, designed for the growing American midwest small farm following the Civil War.  They should have excellent foraging skills.  Our birds have been some of the best "go get it" birds ever.  They were developed in North East and named after the pilgrim's Plymouth Rock, so yes, they can take North American weather pretty much in stride.  They aren't sissies.  They don't normally pick fights, but won't settle for being at the bottom of the pecking order either.

 

The breeder stock, bred to the Standard Barred Rock is a wonderful chicken that acts like a chicken.  Some of our various hatchery stock birds were less predictable to the normally described virtues of the breed.  

 

 

Practicing Sustainable Agriculture At The 45th Parallel

Reply

 

 

Practicing Sustainable Agriculture At The 45th Parallel

Reply
post #429 of 714
Do you know where i could get these kind of birds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred's Hens View Post

There are differences between flocks and differences between hatchery birds and breeder stock.  I've had both for some time and there are similarities.  A well bred Barred Rock is a solid layer, a very good layer.  It was a dual purpose bird, designed for the growing American midwest small farm following the Civil War.  They should have excellent foraging skills.  Our birds have been some of the best "go get it" birds ever.  They were developed in North East and named after the pilgrim's Plymouth Rock, so yes, they can take North American weather pretty much in stride.  They aren't sissies.  They don't normally pick fights, but won't settle for being at the bottom of the pecking order either.

The breeder stock, bred to the Standard Barred Rock is a wonderful chicken that acts like a chicken.  Some of our various hatchery stock birds were less predictable to the normally described virtues of the breed.  
post #430 of 714

XWPoultry Ranch is in Nebraska, not far from you.  Jeremy is the owner/breeder and is a member here as JWhip.  You can send him a private message and ask about getting on his late winter, early spring list.  XW has a website I believe.

 

Good Shepherd Poultry Ranch also has a website.  They aren't that far from you either.  They have really great birds as well. Frank Reese has been breeding them for a long, long time.

 

 

Practicing Sustainable Agriculture At The 45th Parallel

Reply

 

 

Practicing Sustainable Agriculture At The 45th Parallel

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General breed discussions & FAQ