New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Broody Hen Thread! - Page 1285

post #12841 of 13521
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHillHens View Post

Well, thanks to the great guidance and advice I received here in BYC, moving Momma went okay!
I just kept telling myself that, despite her theatrics, at the end of the day she is still just a 10 pound chicken "who doesn't have teeth." Haha!
(...however, being the coward that I am, I still wore gloves and a long sleeve shirt.)
I threw some of the girls favorite treats right outside the door so she could see the other hens happily enjoying them.; then I went in quick and authoritative, swooped her up off the nest and plunked her out with the other hens.
She puffed and shrieked, but didn't really try to peck too much.
She was sitting on five eggs. We'll see how long it takes to break the spell...
thumbsup.gif
post #12842 of 13521

Momma hen hatched 7 babies out of the original 12. Not the best hatch rate but still better than mine ! :weeeShe is being such a good mom it warms my heart. This was my first broody and seeing the little babies crawling all over her and her just accepting it is so cute. She does look extremely tired, though. I mean, she was hatching babies all night. 

Peace, Love, and Positivity <3 
Reply
Peace, Love, and Positivity <3 
Reply
post #12843 of 13521
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHillHens View Post

Well, thanks to the great guidance and advice I received here in BYC, moving Momma went okay!
I just kept telling myself that, despite her theatrics, at the end of the day she is still just a 10 pound chicken "who doesn't have teeth." Haha!
(...however, being the coward that I am, I still wore gloves and a long sleeve shirt.)
I threw some of the girls favorite treats right outside the door so she could see the other hens happily enjoying them.; then I went in quick and authoritative, swooped her up off the nest and plunked her out with the other hens.
She puffed and shrieked, but didn't really try to peck too much.
She was sitting on five eggs. We'll see how long it takes to break the spell...
just keep it up! Cooler weather sometimes helps, but besides putting her in a broody breaker cage with just food and water, that's a cage suspended off the floor with no bedding, so the air can flow around her breast and cool her off, the cooling helps to back off the raging hormones that are causing the broody behavior in the first place! Chasing her off the nest is the only way I've found works for most of them....eventually. It's rare but some broodys have brooded themselves to death, basically making themselves sick, by starving, dehydration and inactivity. So nipping it in the bud, is the best thing to do....no matter how much she protests! It's for her own good. Good luck!
post #12844 of 13521
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydiagirl99 View Post

Momma hen hatched 7 babies out of the original 12. Not the best hatch rate but still better than mine ! wee.gif She is being such a good mom it warms my heart. This was my first broody and seeing the little babies crawling all over her and her just accepting it is so cute. She does look extremely tired, though. I mean, she was hatching babies all night. 
Cool! I could watch a hen and Chicks, like some people stare at an aquarium! When moving a hen and Chicks, I've had to lift her gently and give her a little shake! To dislodge the chicks crawling around in her feathers! It's so funny when you check in on mom and chicks, make a clucking noise and little heads pop out of her feathers, all over her body! She looks like a chicken "Madussa" (I think that's the thing with multiple heads?) And I know I misspelled it. Anyway I think you get the point. So Cool!
post #12845 of 13521
Quote:
Originally Posted by the poppster View Post

Cool! I could watch a hen and Chicks, like some people stare at an aquarium! When moving a hen and Chicks, I've had to lift her gently and give her a little shake! To dislodge the chicks crawling around in her feathers! It's so funny when you check in on mom and chicks, make a clucking noise and little heads pop out of her feathers, all over her body! She looks like a chicken "Madussa" (I think that's the thing with multiple heads?) And I know I misspelled it. Anyway I think you get the point. So Cool!

I think you mean Hydra smile.png though I guess Medusa would work as well since Im sure you "Freeze like a stone" for a moment when you see all those little heads pop out smile.png
Edited by Dani4Hedgies - 6/21/16 at 7:17am
post #12846 of 13521

Yes ! So incredibly sweet. I had to move momma and babies in their own pen and I had a hard time making sure I got everybody :plbb

Peace, Love, and Positivity <3 
Reply
Peace, Love, and Positivity <3 
Reply
post #12847 of 13521

@lydiagirl99 Hi! Can you tell me what their personal pen looks like? We are due to hatch tomorrow and I want to be ready if I need to be (newbie here!) thanks!

Proud urban wanna-be-farmer to an assortment of Blue Cochins, Henrietta the Gold Laced Wyandotte, Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, a couple of cranky Leghorns, Vera the Buff Orpington and a Faverolle/Cochin (named "Fluffy Face" naturally) :) 
Reply
Proud urban wanna-be-farmer to an assortment of Blue Cochins, Henrietta the Gold Laced Wyandotte, Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, a couple of cranky Leghorns, Vera the Buff Orpington and a Faverolle/Cochin (named "Fluffy Face" naturally) :) 
Reply
post #12848 of 13521

Believe it or not, I'm quite the newbie, too :b Their personal pen is just a dog pen with chicken wire wrapped all around it so the babies cannot get out. It has food and water and a place for them to sleep at night with bedding in it obviously. Heres a picture of momma and one of the babies. :jumpy

Peace, Love, and Positivity <3 
Reply
Peace, Love, and Positivity <3 
Reply
post #12849 of 13521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani4Hedgies View Post

I think you mean Hydra smile.png though I guess Medusa would work as well since Im sure you "Freeze like a stone" for a moment when you see all those little heads pop out smile.png
The one with all the heads! It's what came to mind, the first time I witnessed it. Guess I'd better review my mythical creatures. It was so funny! Don't know about anyone else, but it made my day! Still smile when I see it in my minds eye.
post #12850 of 13521
Do count hatch day from the first day the broody began sitting or the second day? Sorry, that just escapes me since i havent had chicks this year.
Be kind to one another
Broodies and roosters and chicks, oh my!
Reply
Be kind to one another
Broodies and roosters and chicks, oh my!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Incubating & Hatching Eggs