BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Where am I? Where are you! › ***OKIES in the BYC III ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***OKIES in the BYC III *** - Page 2327

post #23261 of 59070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksane View Post

One of the EE's in the layer yard has a bunch of feather loss on her back, I took the 2 Marans boys out of that yard thinking it was them over-breeding her (even though I never saw them bothering her). Which was odd because the other 15 girls in that yard have no feather loss whatsoever on their backs. I got to looking at her today and it really looks like someone's pulling her feathers OUT on her back. It's not from being bred. I guess I need to separate her and see what's going on. 

I took the 1 LF Cochin boy out of the bachelor pen yesterday for fighting and now the remaining 2 were into it as soon as I let them out of their coop. Not sure why they waited to get let out? I think they'd probably do fine together if they were free ranging or something but they're too serious about this fighting stuff to live together in a 10x10 pen. So I'm thinkin' and plannin' on how to separate. My very favorite is this one, he's so pretty. I've considered placing the 2 splash's....but just don't know if I could bear to. I can't believe how much they've grown since this picture was taken 2 months ago!

boys1jpg



How big of pen are they in. I have some small oreintals that I breed in small pens. Some of them are noturious for eating each others feathers. Once it starts, it is hard to get them to stop.

 

 Black, Splash, Buff, White and Blue NNs,
Custom leathercraft with poultry design.

Reply

 Black, Splash, Buff, White and Blue NNs,
Custom leathercraft with poultry design.

Reply
post #23262 of 59070
Quote:
Originally Posted by old*cowboy View Post
Originally Posted by Ksane View Post

One of the EE's in the layer yard has a bunch of feather loss on her back, I took the 2 Marans boys out of that yard thinking it was them over-breeding her (even though I never saw them bothering her). Which was odd because the other 15 girls in that yard have no feather loss whatsoever on their backs. I got to looking at her today and it really looks like someone's pulling her feathers OUT on her back. It's not from being bred. I guess I need to separate her and see what's going on. 

I took the 1 LF Cochin boy out of the bachelor pen yesterday for fighting and now the remaining 2 were into it as soon as I let them out of their coop. Not sure why they waited to get let out? I think they'd probably do fine together if they were free ranging or something but they're too serious about this fighting stuff to live together in a 10x10 pen. So I'm thinkin' and plannin' on how to separate. My very favorite is this one, he's so pretty. I've considered placing the 2 splash's....but just don't know if I could bear to. I can't believe how much they've grown since this picture was taken 2 months ago!

How big of pen are they in. I have some small oreintals that I breed in small pens. Some of them are noturious for eating each others feathers. Once it starts, it is hard to get them to stop.


You're talking about the girl in the layers yard with the feather problem? They're in a 50x50 yard, there's 16 of them. She's the only one with the problem so I wondered if maybe she was doing it to herself, too.

 

 

post #23263 of 59070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksane View Post


They're adorable!!!! They've got beards and feathered legs so I would think that's what they are. Although I don't have that breed so my opinion may not mean much.

 

While I have you all here......I bought 15 Bantam Faverolles eggs thinking for sure that only 3 or 4 would hatch. The 3 I've got here are growing nicely and 11 of the 12 I gave to Carl to hatch were fine when he candled. That's great news but I didn't really plan on this many. I got 15 eggs thinking I might get 4 max out of the deal. Jackie/Firefly, I'll wait on your answer 1st in case-but it was $35 for the 15 eggs, does anyone want 1/2 of whatever hatches for $17 if more than 7 hatch?  There's no guarantee of anything or how many will hatch obviously. We could just meet the day I pick them up and each reach in with our eyes closed and pick 1/2 the chicks lol Any takers? I can't part with them after I've raised them but I didn't want more than 4, this is the only way I'm going to be able to do it, I'm such a weirdo.

 

Just adding a PS-
If no one wants to do it that way I can probably pay Carl to raise them to 2 wks til they can be sexed and just take the girls and a boy.


If you have no takers, I will keep half of them raise them out some and let Michael place them in homes. This way if you end up picking all cockrells we can swap if needed. So there is a back-up plan for you..
 

 

OEGB: Columbian, Opal, Birchen, Silver Blue, Brown Red

Rosecomb: Black, Birchen in development, Columbian in development, Opal in development.

NPIP 3-125

Reply

OEGB: Columbian, Opal, Birchen, Silver Blue, Brown Red

Rosecomb: Black, Birchen in development, Columbian in development, Opal in development.

NPIP 3-125

Reply
post #23264 of 59070
Originally Posted by Cjarvis View Post
Originally Posted by Ksane View Post
They're adorable!!!! They've got beards and feathered legs so I would think that's what they are. Although I don't have that breed so my opinion may not mean much.

While I have you all here......I bought 15 Bantam Faverolles eggs thinking for sure that only 3 or 4 would hatch. The 3 I've got here are growing nicely and 11 of the 12 I gave to Carl to hatch were fine when he candled. That's great news but I didn't really plan on this many. I got 15 eggs thinking I might get 4 max out of the deal. Jackie/Firefly, I'll wait on your answer 1st in case-but it was $35 for the 15 eggs, does anyone want 1/2 of whatever hatches for $17 if more than 7 hatch?  There's no guarantee of anything or how many will hatch obviously. We could just meet the day I pick them up and each reach in with our eyes closed and pick 1/2 the chicks lol Any takers? I can't part with them after I've raised them but I didn't want more than 4, this is the only way I'm going to be able to do it, I'm such a weirdo.

Just adding a PS-
If no one wants to do it that way I can probably pay Carl to raise them to 2 wks til they can be sexed and just take the girls and a boy.

If you have no takers, I will keep half of them raise them out some and let Michael place them in homes. This way if you end up picking all cockrells we can swap if needed. So there is a back-up plan for you..


Thank goodness! I'm so glad I met you. How about I buy you a bag of feed to raise them to a few wks old so they can be sexed? If any of the 3 I have hatch I'll keep those 3 plus the pullets from your batch? Do you think I could manage to do that? It's for the best because I know I don't want to deal with fighting boys down the road (like my LF Cochin boys) and care too much about them to part with them.

 

 

post #23265 of 59070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksane View Post


Thank goodness! I'm so glad I met you.



See? Told y'all Carl is a nice guy.

 

 

"There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

 

What I'm reading now:  Aquaponic Gardening, by Sylvia Bernstein.

Reply

"There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

 

What I'm reading now:  Aquaponic Gardening, by Sylvia Bernstein.

Reply
post #23266 of 59070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksane View Post


Thank goodness! I'm so glad I met you. How about I buy you a bag of feed to raise them to a few wks old so they can be sexed? If any of the 3 I have hatch I'll keep those 3 plus the pullets from your batch? Do you think I could manage to do that? It's for the best because I know I don't want to deal with fighting boys down the road (like my LF Cochin boys) and care too much about them to part with them.

 

 


I tell you what for $15 ( 1 bag of US Suppliers Starter) I wil raise them all out to 6-8 weeks. That will allow you take your pick based on sex, as well as time to make arrangements for others to get some of them after you have your choice. No worries of me getting attached to them, I just can't make myself deal with beards and feathered legs just not my choice bird.
 

 

OEGB: Columbian, Opal, Birchen, Silver Blue, Brown Red

Rosecomb: Black, Birchen in development, Columbian in development, Opal in development.

NPIP 3-125

Reply

OEGB: Columbian, Opal, Birchen, Silver Blue, Brown Red

Rosecomb: Black, Birchen in development, Columbian in development, Opal in development.

NPIP 3-125

Reply
post #23267 of 59070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster52 View Post

See? Told y'all Carl is a nice guy.

 


Thank You for that Buster, I needed a vote of confindence today. How have you been?
 

 

OEGB: Columbian, Opal, Birchen, Silver Blue, Brown Red

Rosecomb: Black, Birchen in development, Columbian in development, Opal in development.

NPIP 3-125

Reply

OEGB: Columbian, Opal, Birchen, Silver Blue, Brown Red

Rosecomb: Black, Birchen in development, Columbian in development, Opal in development.

NPIP 3-125

Reply
post #23268 of 59070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjarvis View Post


Thank You for that Buster, I needed a vote of confidence today. How have you been?
 

 


 

Things have been great, Carl. Crazy busy (in a good way, which is why I don't get on here much), but great all the same.

 

 

"There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

 

What I'm reading now:  Aquaponic Gardening, by Sylvia Bernstein.

Reply

"There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

 

What I'm reading now:  Aquaponic Gardening, by Sylvia Bernstein.

Reply
post #23269 of 59070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjarvis View Post


Thank You for that Buster, I needed a vote of confindence today. How have you been?
 

 



i got a vote for you, but i cant post it here!tongue2.gif

 

are you coming to pryor?  if you are and you want to throw some birds away bring em with you and i'll put em in the house so the old lady will have somethin else to do!clap.gif

 

 

post #23270 of 59070
Ksane is the feather loss just a heavy moult? I keep saying I want to mark my birds as they moult-- just so I can keep track.

I spent the morning doing chores, even though not much seems done. Coyotes are starting to get close to our place again, saw one just as soon as I let the birds out to free range. Thankfully the dogs saw it too & chased him off. Then our biggest dog took a nap in the pasture just to make sure the coyote didn't come back. Wore myself out working in the future garden plot. So now I believe I am going to rest for a while. The weather is perfect outside, so after a short break I will go back out & work on a few other chores.

Christina

Reply

Christina

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Where am I? Where are you!
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Where am I? Where are you! › ***OKIES in the BYC III ***