I would use some DE () Eggcartons.com sells Food Grade DE called Incredible Poultry Powder. I use this for lots of different things around the coop. drying up droppings and pest control too. Here is a link. http://www.eggcartons.com/Poultry-Care/Eco-Friendly-Products/FHP-IPP-1-5
he Incredible Poultry Powder™ (IPP) is 100% natural Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth an organic, environment friendly and safe alternative to chemicals for use with poultry in coops, dusting bins and nesting boxes. It is also used to help prevent a variety of health aliments that afflict poultry including mites, lice and intestinal worms. Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is a fine powder composed of the crushed, fossilized exoskeletons of microscopic diatoms, which will not harm children, pets, livestock, poultry, plants or the planet.
- This remarkable substance is a natural desiccant. By drying up manure faster, it controls flies, as well as keeping coops cleaner and drier.
- Deodorization and absorption are natural functions of IPP. The benefits will continue as undigested IPP passes through and settles on cage or coop floors.
- Contains 15 trace minerals including calcium, potassium, copper, zinc, phosphorous, silica, and selenium.
- IPP is USDA approved as an anti-caking agent for animal feed.
- Mixing IPP with daily feed increases feathering, egg production and shell hardness.
- Diatomaceous Earth can be used as an organic pesticide
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is a natural, organic insect killer. DE kills by physical action and not by chemical so there is NO harm to pets or humans. The tiny hard and sharp diatoms scratch off the insects' waxy coating, causing it to dehydrate. Use DE for control of roaches, silverfish, ants, fire ants, bedbugs, lice, mites, spiders, earwigs, flies, fleas, box elder bugs, scorpions, crickets, and many other insects. DE can be used in and around the home, yard, animal housing, etc. Sprinkle a 2 inch wide border around the foundation of your house to prevent insects from entering. DE will not harm earthworms or beneficial soil micro-organisms.
External Use: Sprinkle on coop or cage floor, cover with shavings. Sprinkle in nesting boxes between layers of hay and mix a small amount in dusting bins.
With Feed: Add one pound or 6 cups to every 50 pounds of feed. Sprinkle around bulk food bins to discourage crawling pests. Add a small amount to bird's water to help inhibit algae growth during the hotter months.
Warning: For animal use only. Do not inhale. Dust may cause eye and respiratory irritation.
Ingredients: 100% Diatomaceous Earth (Amorphous Non-Crystalline silica.)
Available in 1.5, 4, 8 and 20 lb. bags.