I was wondering how to disinfect chicken coop?
How to disinfect chicken coop?
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickens
- CT Chicken Whisperer
You can use a scrub down with bleach and water solution or ammonia. READ THE LABELS! I think they even have a cleaner for coops, but it's probably the same stuff. One of the best things after it is scrubbed clean is to let it sit out in sunshine. If you can avoid using it for a couple of months, that helps too.
Well I was hesitant to use Chlorox. Seems too toxic and harsh... I cannot not use it after. The chickens would go right back after it dries. I was thinking using baking soda and vinegar. I use those two to clean my whole house. I am not fun of big house cleaners that stink. Plus those two are environmentally friendly...
Just need to check if baking soda or vinegar cannot harm my hens....
There was a study done and published in "Science News" about the effectiveness of using vinegar and hydrogen peroxide as a disinfectant.
All you need is three percent hydrogen peroxide, the same strength available at the drug store for gargling or disinfecting wounds, and plain white or apple cidar vinegar, and a pair of brand new clean sprayers, like the kind you use to dampen laundry before ironing.
It doesn't matter which you use first - you can spray with the vinegar then the hydrogen peroxide, or with the hydrogen peroxide followed by the vinegar. You won't get any lingering taste of vinegar or hydrogen peroxide, and neither is toxic to you if a small amount remains on the produce. As a bonus: The paired sprays work exceptionally well in sanitizing counters and other food preparation surfaces -- including wood cutting boards. In tests run at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, pairing the two mists killed virtually all Salmonella, Shigella, or E. coli bacteria on heavily contaminated food and surfaces when used in this fashion, making this spray combination more effective at killing these potentially lethal bacteria than chlorine bleach or any commercially available kitchen cleaner.
Here is a link to the the entire article
Unless you had some type of parasite, lice, or some other unwanted pest I doubt it really "needs" to be disinfected. I do understand that some people (maybe you?) feel better about disinfecting their coups, but really not necessary.
well I actually kind of meant in case there was a disease or parasites in the coop...
wait... you wash your chickens??