New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Chicken Ate A Rat!!!

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

My chickens ate a dead rat!!! (who most likely died from rat poison that my neighbors put out) what on earth should I do?!?!?!? I am so freaked out!

"The only real failure in life is the failure to try"

 

Reply

"The only real failure in life is the failure to try"

 

Reply
post #2 of 9

Try to make her throw it up. Flush out her stomach. A vet may need to do that. Find out what kind of poison it was and maybe there is something you can do wothout going to a vet. But hurry, if the poison sits too long in her system her stomach lining could absorb it into her bloodstream and then it's most likely too late. I'm sorry I can't give good news.........Best of luck!  fl

Mother of 13 living chickens, 2 that died, and one that is still M.I.A. I miss you Yoko, Lucky, and Ginger!
Live, Laugh, Love, and Pray!
Reply
Mother of 13 living chickens, 2 that died, and one that is still M.I.A. I miss you Yoko, Lucky, and Ginger!
Live, Laugh, Love, and Pray!
Reply
post #3 of 9

If she ate the entire rat that's bad. If the digestive system is intact though, you should be safe. Just as long as rat poison doesnt get into her system. It would work the same way. Rat poison works because rats can't vomit; they eat too much poison, and so on. Chickens can't vomit unless they are forced to, so good luck!

Chickens will hang themselves. Dont give em any ideas....or loose netting.
Reply
Chickens will hang themselves. Dont give em any ideas....or loose netting.
Reply
post #4 of 9

On a positive note some rat poisons won't kill the animal who ate the rat.The poison kills by swelling the rats digestive system and absorbing all the fliuds, this in turn kills the rat.
This is why they have to have a water source near by or they can survive the poison, the water causes the swelling. Our dogs ate a rat that had been poisoned this way and survived.

post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 

thank you so much for your quick replies, My chicken did not eat the whole rat, it was evenly divided between all 11 of my hens while I was on vacation, they always have access to clean water and food so I'm just gonna hope they pull through this time fl   

thanks again,
idy

"The only real failure in life is the failure to try"

 

Reply

"The only real failure in life is the failure to try"

 

Reply
post #6 of 9

I don't know what to tell you, but fl

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmCoe 

I don't know what to tell you, but fl


thanks smile

p.s. I love your signature

"The only real failure in life is the failure to try"

 

Reply

"The only real failure in life is the failure to try"

 

Reply
post #8 of 9

If the rat was poisoned and the poison was anticoagulant based, vitamin K will reverse the effect and should be available from your vet. You don't even have to act today, tomorrow morning will be fine. Hopefully they didn't eat enough to have a very profound effect in any case!

Good Luck

post #9 of 9

WOW! We've never had that here...good luck to you...but I am guessing it depends on the type of poison used to kill the rat? It ifs a blood thinner type that is worse...am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home