*Freds Hens-----I beg to differ but the Standard of perfection does recognize the New Hampshire Reds. they ARE and official breed.
Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- Breed question... Last post on 11/2/13 at 6:43pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- What is the main difference between a NHR and RIR? Last post on 11/9/11 at 6:23pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- What breed is she? Last post on 11/3/11 at 3:55pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- almost 2 weeks old...what do you think? Last post on 10/21/15 at 10:31am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Two Red chickens... what am I? Last post on 10/17/11 at 7:11am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
Last edited: 1/23/12
- INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! Helpful NOTES LINKS & Informational POST...Last edited: Yesterday
- The Lowdown on Red Sex LinksLast edited: 9/14/13
- The ComedihensLast edited: 4/25/13
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
I love my SLWs one, Whoms name is Gwen, sadly got killed by a hawk last January.But ow I have Raven, and I love her to bits and pices.The only thing is she lays tiny eggs and she is quit flighty.
I've had these birds for a while, and I'm not very satisfied with them, but they'll still be staying on the farm all the same. Even as chicks they were skittish, and I can't even go near them...
The black astralop breed is one of my favorite breeds. I have had two they were both very sweet, curious, and had great personalities. When I went out to the coop they'd walk over to me and just...
My friend has had several Andalusians throughout her chicken experience, and her rooster, Bitty Cloud, was probably an even meaner than my first Arucana rooster, Chubby-Cheeks the 1st, and that's...
I love this breed, and I highly recommend it to someone who is a beginner with chickens. They love and adore people, are very prolific throughout most of their life, and are usually good with other...
Production Red v's Road Island Red? - Page 4
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #32 of 389/4/15 at 11:15amQuote:
Fred's point was that the name of the breed is New Hampshire. Period. Not New Hampshire Reds.
Stem cell transplant from unrelated donor in Feb 2015. Thank you to all my friends here on BYC for all your support during my treatment and ongoing recovery!
Stem cell transplant from unrelated donor in Feb 2015. Thank you to all my friends here on BYC for all your support during my treatment and ongoing recovery!post #33 of 389/23/15 at 12:02pmpost #34 of 3811/7/15 at 11:11pmI have a question. I purchased two Rhode Island Red from a hatchery. Does this mean my birds are Production Red or are they considered RIR but not SOP? Just wondering. I love them and don't plan on breeding them.
I took this pic of the gals in the coop today. They are 8 weeks old.post #35 of 3811/8/15 at 6:18amQuote:Originally Posted by Bridebeliever
I have a question. I purchased two Rhode Island Red from a hatchery. Does this mean my birds are Production Red or are they considered RIR but not SOP? Just wondering. I love them and don't plan on breeding them.
I took this pic of the gals in the coop today. They are 8 weeks old.
They are RIR's. just not show quality.post #36 of 3811/8/15 at 2:44pmSo if you want show quality birds where do you get them from? Do you have to pay $29-$199 per straight run chick and get them from somewhere like Greenfire Farms?post #37 of 3811/8/15 at 4:59pmQuote:
I've no clue where to get them and how much.
You could try looking up the Heritage Rhode Usjand Red site. Try post your questions there. They would be the people that could tell you more.
Just a word if warning though mist will tell you hatcheries don't sell pure RIR, but I think what happens is that hatcheries hatch so many at once and do not cull a hard if at all their birds. Massed produced and order are quickly filled.
But anyway check out the Herutage thread.post #38 of 3811/8/15 at 5:02pmThanks!
- INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! Helpful NOTES LINKS & Informational POST...
- › December hatch-along 30 seconds ago
- › Will a hen steal another hen's baby chick? 1 minute ago
- › Stomach Feather Loss 1 minute ago
- › State a fact about yourself! 2 minutes ago
- › The last letter Game 3 minutes ago
- › The I-phone vs Android contest! 3 minutes ago
- › Let's talk about Star Wars! 4 minutes ago
- › 8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2016-hatch-a-long 5 minutes ago
- › Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank 6 minutes ago
- › Australia - Six states..and that funny little island. 6 minutes ago
- › Wyandotte by Cluckcluck1215
- › Marans by Garjzla
- › Australorp by CherriesBrood
- › Andalusian by WyandotteLove1
- › Black Sex Link chicken by WyandotteLove1
- › Queen Silvia by cree57i
- › East Frisian Gull - An Old World Landrace by cree57i
- › Pearl Guinea by Vermont Poultry
- › Rhode Island by Vermont Poultry
- › Barred Rock by Vermont Poultry