*Freds Hens-----I beg to differ but the Standard of perfection does recognize the New Hampshire Reds. they ARE and official breed.
Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- Breed question... Last post on 11/2/13 at 6:43pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- What is the main difference between a NHR and RIR? Last post on 11/9/11 at 6:23pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- What breed is she? Last post on 11/3/11 at 3:55pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- almost 2 weeks old...what do you think? Last post on 1/13/17 at 12:59pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Two Red chickens... what am I? Last post on 10/17/11 at 7:11am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
Last edited: 1/23/12
- INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! Helpful NOTES LINKS & Informational POST...Last edited: 1/16/17
- The Lowdown on Red Sex LinksLast edited: 9/14/13
- The ComedihensLast edited: 4/25/13
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
I purchased two pullets and a cockerel from a fellow chicken lover. I don't regret it at all. These birds aren't too flighty, and always know when it's time to roost. They are great foragers, but...
We have two pair of these - black and blue. The females are sweet and make good show birds for small children. The lay enormous eggs considering their body size. The males are very agressive as is...
I have had a Bantam Dark Brahma, River Styx, who was as friendly (and as fast) as could be. she would never beat up on other birds or struggle in my arms. My current Brahma bird, India (no, I...
My experience with Wyandottes started with a silver laced, who was absolutely gorgeous and the smartest chicken I owned. But, as I said above she was not wary enough of predators, and actually went...
I cared for a flock of chickens (varied breeds) at my last job, and the welsummer and I had a longstanding feud. Despite all attempts to socialize or bribe her, no matter how much time or how many...
Production Red v's Road Island Red? - Page 4
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #32 of 389/4/15 at 11:15amQuote:
Fred's point was that the name of the breed is New Hampshire. Period. Not New Hampshire Reds.
Stem cell transplant from unrelated donor in Feb 2015. Thank you to all my friends here on BYC for all your support during my treatment and ongoing recovery!
Stem cell transplant from unrelated donor in Feb 2015. Thank you to all my friends here on BYC for all your support during my treatment and ongoing recovery!post #33 of 389/23/15 at 12:02pmpost #34 of 3811/7/15 at 11:11pmI have a question. I purchased two Rhode Island Red from a hatchery. Does this mean my birds are Production Red or are they considered RIR but not SOP? Just wondering. I love them and don't plan on breeding them.
I took this pic of the gals in the coop today. They are 8 weeks old.post #35 of 3811/8/15 at 6:18amQuote:Originally Posted by Bridebeliever
I have a question. I purchased two Rhode Island Red from a hatchery. Does this mean my birds are Production Red or are they considered RIR but not SOP? Just wondering. I love them and don't plan on breeding them.
I took this pic of the gals in the coop today. They are 8 weeks old.
They are RIR's. just not show quality.post #36 of 3811/8/15 at 2:44pmSo if you want show quality birds where do you get them from? Do you have to pay $29-$199 per straight run chick and get them from somewhere like Greenfire Farms?post #37 of 3811/8/15 at 4:59pmQuote:
I've no clue where to get them and how much.
You could try looking up the Heritage Rhode Usjand Red site. Try post your questions there. They would be the people that could tell you more.
Just a word if warning though mist will tell you hatcheries don't sell pure RIR, but I think what happens is that hatcheries hatch so many at once and do not cull a hard if at all their birds. Massed produced and order are quickly filled.
But anyway check out the Herutage thread.post #38 of 3811/8/15 at 5:02pmThanks!
- INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! Helpful NOTES LINKS & Informational POST...
- › A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100. 4 seconds ago
- › Post your QUAIL PICS!!!!! 6 seconds ago
- › Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!! 50 seconds ago
- › Granny's gone and done it again 1 minute ago
- › Duck Feet problems - Never seen anything like it - Help! 1 minute ago
- › Dead baby chicken 1 minute ago
- › Breed? 1 minute ago
- › Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank 1 minute ago
- › Cochin Thread!!! 2 minutes ago
- › What Color is This Silkie? 2 minutes ago
- › Easter Egger bantam by Minnowey
- › Old English Game by jolenejellybean
- › Brahma by Minnowey
- › Wyandotte by Minnowey
- › Welsummer by unicornmomma
- › Black Sex Link chicken by unicornmomma
- › Cochin by Poultrylord
- › Australorp by CrazyHenLady386
- › Red Sex Link by CrazyHenLady386
- › Orpington by chippy99th
- › Finally out of the coop!
- › A Portrait of Chicken....Portraits? (Chick...
- › An Experiment in Chick Sexing Methods
- › Poultry Ownership and Dealing with Loss (From...
- › WVduckchick's Ducks!
- › Our Lovely Ducks
- › My Pepper!
- › The little lone chick
- › My best Chicken pics
- › Lessons I’ve Learned After Five Years...