*Freds Hens-----I beg to differ but the Standard of perfection does recognize the New Hampshire Reds. they ARE and official breed.
Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- Breed question... Last post on 11/2/13 at 6:43pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- What is the main difference between a NHR and RIR? Last post on 11/9/11 at 6:23pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- What breed is she? Last post on 11/3/11 at 3:55pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- almost 2 weeks old...what do you think? Last post on 1/13/17 at 12:59pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Two Red chickens... what am I? Last post on 10/17/11 at 7:11am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
Last edited: 1/23/12
- INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! Helpful NOTES LINKS & Informational POST...Last edited: 1/16/17
- The Lowdown on Red Sex LinksLast edited: 9/14/13
- The ComedihensLast edited: 4/25/13
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
This breed is very easily acquired and seem like the perfect pet for your kids or yourself. In Fact my favourite hen is a Brown Star named "Piper". Be warned these chickens do not have longevity...
I have three white Leghorn (pronounced "Leg-yurn" by the way) hens named Duchess, Henny Penny, and Lucky. They are the flightiest hens in my group of Brown Stars and Black Australorps. They dont...
My RIR, Waffles, is a perfectly lovely bird in that she is healthy, curious, and a great layer. That said, she will be my last RIR. She's been at the root of every flock dynamic issue that we've...
I absolutely hate them!! I got them for hatching eggs, never went broody in 2 years. I was fine with them not going broody as they turned out smaller then expected. But they lay probably 50...
I'm going to be honest. Guineas are not for anyone. Most of the time, guineas are antisocial, noisy jerks. If you handle them from keets, though, you can get them to let you hold and play with...
Production Red v's Road Island Red? - Page 4
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #32 of 389/4/15 at 11:15amQuote:
Fred's point was that the name of the breed is New Hampshire. Period. Not New Hampshire Reds.
Stem cell transplant from unrelated donor in Feb 2015. Thank you to all my friends here on BYC for all your support during my treatment and ongoing recovery!
Stem cell transplant from unrelated donor in Feb 2015. Thank you to all my friends here on BYC for all your support during my treatment and ongoing recovery!post #33 of 389/23/15 at 12:02pmpost #34 of 3811/7/15 at 11:11pmI have a question. I purchased two Rhode Island Red from a hatchery. Does this mean my birds are Production Red or are they considered RIR but not SOP? Just wondering. I love them and don't plan on breeding them.
I took this pic of the gals in the coop today. They are 8 weeks old.post #35 of 3811/8/15 at 6:18amQuote:Originally Posted by Bridebeliever
I have a question. I purchased two Rhode Island Red from a hatchery. Does this mean my birds are Production Red or are they considered RIR but not SOP? Just wondering. I love them and don't plan on breeding them.
I took this pic of the gals in the coop today. They are 8 weeks old.
They are RIR's. just not show quality.post #36 of 3811/8/15 at 2:44pmSo if you want show quality birds where do you get them from? Do you have to pay $29-$199 per straight run chick and get them from somewhere like Greenfire Farms?post #37 of 3811/8/15 at 4:59pmQuote:
I've no clue where to get them and how much.
You could try looking up the Heritage Rhode Usjand Red site. Try post your questions there. They would be the people that could tell you more.
Just a word if warning though mist will tell you hatcheries don't sell pure RIR, but I think what happens is that hatcheries hatch so many at once and do not cull a hard if at all their birds. Massed produced and order are quickly filled.
But anyway check out the Herutage thread.post #38 of 3811/8/15 at 5:02pmThanks!
- INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! Helpful NOTES LINKS & Informational POST...
- › ~A Morning at Mcdonalds~ (Inspired by Vachick,Summer,Peepers,... 16 seconds ago
- › Farm Related Photography. Pictures are the best Advertisement! 16 seconds ago
- › Day 18 lockdown! Have a question though.. 23 seconds ago
- › Granny's gone and done it again 24 seconds ago
- › Pekin duck egg day 29 HELP!!! Pleaseeeeeee!!! 45 seconds ago
- › Weird peachy/orange poop? 1 minute ago
- › Incubating Ducks in the classroom 1 minute ago
- › Feather Pecking Nightmare 1 minute ago
- › Can't figure out what this is.. Can you help? 1 minute ago
- › The Middle Tennessee Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Well, When You Name a Hen "Bratt"....
- › >~*A Howl At Midnight>*~ A FORGOTTEN...
- › The long and the short of it. And some in...
- › In memory. Rest in peace Hops
- › Macgyver
- › Harriet, The Chicken That Has Changed my life
- › Oliver my love....
- › Chicken in a Bag
- › Wandering Hollow Farm
- › Ballontine Chicken Delight