BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying › Post here if you DON'T wash clean-looking eggs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Post here if you DON'T wash clean-looking eggs - Page 13

post #121 of 342

If the egg is dirty I wait and wash until I am ready to use the egg.   If it is clean it goes in the fridge...I wouldn't mind keeping them out for display but my kids love to pick up the eggs and I don't want any to break.

Mom to 2 kids, 2 cats, 1 fish, and 11 girls (Haley - banty, Nutmeg - Buff Orp, Teddy - Red sex link, Bella - Tetra Tint, Pepper, Salt and Dot - Dominiques, Summer - Welsummer, Cheeky and Muffin - EE, Freckles - Speckled Sussex) And the wife of one very wonderful husband who puts up with me and my chickens!

Reply

Mom to 2 kids, 2 cats, 1 fish, and 11 girls (Haley - banty, Nutmeg - Buff Orp, Teddy - Red sex link, Bella - Tetra Tint, Pepper, Salt and Dot - Dominiques, Summer - Welsummer, Cheeky and Muffin - EE, Freckles - Speckled Sussex) And the wife of one very wonderful husband who puts up with me and my chickens!

Reply
post #122 of 342

I've never washed ours either.  I read in one of the farming mags that if the water was too warm, or cool ( idunno I can't remember which) it would actually suck the bacteria from the shell inside the egg, or some such thing.  It sounded complicated so I figure I'm better off leaving them alone, luckily they almost always come out of the nest box nice and clean big_smile My parents also think eating our own eggs (well our chickens eggs...) is gross... I don't know if it's the 'too close to home' part that bothers them or the fact that we have a rooster, yet they never complain about staying for dinner and I use our eggs for everything, I bet they haven't thought of that yet gig And I LOVE that egg Skelter, now I have to go order one!!

The half way coop is home to:
1 very tolerant husband (usually), 4 (soon to be 5) kiddos, a crankly old cat, 2 barn kittens, 1 obnoxious dachshund, and 7 silkie hens and a roo, 3 RIR, 2 BR and 12 more on the way. www.thehalfwaycoop.blogspot.com
Reply
The half way coop is home to:
1 very tolerant husband (usually), 4 (soon to be 5) kiddos, a crankly old cat, 2 barn kittens, 1 obnoxious dachshund, and 7 silkie hens and a roo, 3 RIR, 2 BR and 12 more on the way. www.thehalfwaycoop.blogspot.com
Reply
post #123 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHalfWayCoop 

I've never washed ours either.  I read in one of the farming mags that if the water was too warm, or cool ( idunno I can't remember which) it would actually suck the bacteria from the shell inside the egg, or some such thing.  It sounded complicated so I figure I'm better off leaving them alone, luckily they almost always come out of the nest box nice and clean big_smile My parents also think eating our own eggs (well our chickens eggs...) is gross... I don't know if it's the 'too close to home' part that bothers them or the fact that we have a rooster, yet they never complain about staying for dinner and I use our eggs for everything, I bet they haven't thought of that yet gig And I LOVE that egg Skelter, now I have to go order one!!


If you wash them, the water needs to be no more than 10° WARMER than the egg itself. If you use colder water, the egg white will contract, therefor drawing whatever little nasties that might be on the shell through the pores... Don't want that!
BTW the egg skelters are cool but a little pricey.

 

If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman there to hear him,....Is he still wrong??
Reply

 

If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman there to hear him,....Is he still wrong??
Reply
post #124 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDK1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntrychick 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbounds10 

I have only washed 1 or 2 that were accidentally laid out in the run and have ALOT of poo on them. I just stick those in the fridge but the ones from my nest boxes are always clean and I never wah. I store them on my counter in my lovely Egg Skelter next to my antique scale.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/82702_img_0398.jpg


OH! I LOVE both of those! Where do you get those?


http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=egg+skelter


They're going to start selling them in the US and Canada by year's end, so no crazy expensive shipping! I NEED one. lol

Dont you find it odd that people will put more work into choosing their mechanic or house contractor than they will into choosing the person who grows their food?
-Joel Salatin
 

Reply

Dont you find it odd that people will put more work into choosing their mechanic or house contractor than they will into choosing the person who grows their food?
-Joel Salatin
 

Reply
post #125 of 342
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyable 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDK1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntrychick 


OH! I LOVE both of those! Where do you get those?


http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=egg+skelter


They're going to start selling them in the US and Canada by year's end, so no crazy expensive shipping! I NEED one. lol


Good to know. I want one!

My Chicken Blog
My NEW coop!
germophobic farmwife and mom to 3 homeschooled kids, 1 dog, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, and 15 chickens (5 red stars, 5 silver laced wyandottes, and 5 easter eggers)

Reply

My Chicken Blog
My NEW coop!
germophobic farmwife and mom to 3 homeschooled kids, 1 dog, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, and 15 chickens (5 red stars, 5 silver laced wyandottes, and 5 easter eggers)

Reply
post #126 of 342

I don't usually wash.  However, I have ducks and chickens together so especially during the winter the duck eggs and occasionally chicken eggs can be pretty dirty.  If I'm getting plenty of eggs I feed the worst ones to the dog and then wash the worst offenders.  I see many feel the bloom provides some magical protection to eggs and should never be tampered with.  I'm not of that opinion.

post #127 of 342

Only if there is visible poop on the egg do we wash it.  Clean looking eggs go right into the carton for later consumption.

post #128 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggsellentfarms 

I don't usually wash.  However, I have ducks and chickens together so especially during the winter the duck eggs and occasionally chicken eggs can be pretty dirty.  If I'm getting plenty of eggs I feed the worst ones to the dog and then wash the worst offenders.  I see many feel the bloom provides some magical protection to eggs and should never be tampered with.  I'm not of that opinion.


eggsellentfarms, Do you refrigerate?

 

If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman there to hear him,....Is he still wrong??
Reply

 

If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman there to hear him,....Is he still wrong??
Reply
post #129 of 342

I don't wash eggs when putting them in the fridge.  I've never had an egg with poop on it either.  Maybe a feather or two.  I do wash and dry just before cracking the egg to eat.

post #130 of 342

Oh I never wash my eggs for the very reason that they have a natural antibacterial barrier on them when laid. If they are stuck with some ppop on them i might just use light sand paper to sand it off and I use that egg right away either for the household or hardboil and give to back to girls.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying › Post here if you DON'T wash clean-looking eggs