I only have one Red Star at the moment. She follows me everywhere in the run. Named her BusyBee and I swear if she could speak she would be asking, "What you doing" over and over....and over and over and over.
Related Forum Threads
- Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers Last post on 5/22/13 at 4:14pm in Feeding & Watering Your Flock
- Black Star Roo Last post on 4/4/13 at 2:07pm in Breeds, Genetics, & Showing
- McMurray Mystery Chick Breed? PICS Last post on 3/9/13 at 6:38am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Red star or comet??? Last post on 1/15/12 at 8:44am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Stars Last post on 7/23/09 at 10:59am in Breeds, Genetics, & Showing
Edited on 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsEdited on 6/27/11
- Star Golden CometEdited on 1/10/12
- Star Red By RstampaEdited on 1/10/12
- Star RedEdited on 1/10/12
Honestly, they are great birds. We have 2 boys freeranging together and neither one has ever gotten the least bit aggressive with us and they are very polite to their girls as well. No missing...
We love our Nankin hen. She's very sweet and good natured, excellent bird for beginners or kids. She comes when called, she's an excellent bug hunter, likes to sit on your lap (or head, or...
Leghorns are great egg laying chickens. They are friendly to other Leghorns and can easily fly. The only problems is that they are bad in the pecking order and they can make a mess of the yard....
I will start by saying that I love Australorps. In fact, my very favorite hen is an Australorp. She is such a sweet chicken and just let's you walk right up to her to pick her up. She doesn't run...
Red Stars? - Page 2post #11 of 2710/31/11 at 1:48pm4 Araucana's, 1 Red Star, 1 Black Austrolorpe, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Orpington, 7 rabbits, 2 cats I claim, 2 others that claim me, a Beagle, a Bagle (Beagle n Basset) 3 boys, a wife and anything else that shows up on the porch!4 Araucana's, 1 Red Star, 1 Black Austrolorpe, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Orpington, 7 rabbits, 2 cats I claim, 2 others that claim me, a Beagle, a Bagle (Beagle n Basset) 3 boys, a wife and anything else that shows up on the porch!post #12 of 2710/31/11 at 5:48pm
I have 2, lady and Cindy both are 5 weeks and run from me as fast as they can but I have great hope they will be awesome sweet birds \\\\Cindy has more white feathers especially on the tips of her wings and Lady is more brown, I am happy I can tell the difference between the two- Lady is def a larger bird, but most certianly they are both female!post #13 of 271/12/12 at 4:36pm
I have what were sold to me as Brown Leghorns but I think they must be Brown Stars. They both developed terrible egg problems - soft shell, no shell, soft shell inside them I had to pull out with tweezers. At various times they both obviously felt very poorly. I isolated one in the warm basement for a few days and she got much better. Both seemed fine (but no longer laying) when all of a sudden I found one dead in the coop. I would never get this breed again. (My Production Reds and Barreds are fine.)post #14 of 271/15/12 at 2:21pmThread Starter
I'm sorry to here about your birds Chickens Again. My Red Stars are still doing great - four eggs every day (I had five hens, but a hawk got one ), and they are VERY friendly. My husband gives them leftovers from time to time. They really enjoy leftover Cheerios and milk.
High school librarian, chaser of two boys, owner of 11 Barred Rocks.
High school librarian, chaser of two boys, owner of 11 Barred Rocks.post #15 of 271/19/12 at 12:09pmpost #16 of 272/5/12 at 1:17pm
We have one a black sex link, about 10 months old, very friendly like the Australops.
Now, can they withstand a frigid, snowy, below zero winter (which is not occurring this season in the northeast,) but prior winters have been brutal.??
Our chickens have long, wide rabbit hutches to reside and hang out in, so, I want more sex links along with more barred rocks, I know the barreds can withstand the type of winter mentioned or described above, as they survived our brutal Mass, winter last year. But, the sex links?/
Persons have said that they can as they are RIr's with either white rock, or barred rock mixed, but, my Barred Rocks are definitely larger and have more feathers, than the sex link.post #17 of 272/5/12 at 1:26pmpost #18 of 272/23/12 at 4:24pm
We bought four Red Star pullets and they are very laid back and friendly...We have one in particular that likes to jump on a double seater swing with my husband! Will have to keep my camera handy next time it happens.post #19 of 272/23/12 at 4:25pmpost #20 of 274/18/12 at 12:32pm
For all of you here....I have 3 Red Stars. My question is...are all females red/white or are some of the males this way also? I know that they are sex-linked and the males and females look different, but I am getting conflicting information.
My three came to me at a week of age looking yellow and white and now at 8 1/2 weeks are red and white. Two are taller than the third, but only one has a comb.
Our urban farm family consists of 1 dog, 2 cats, 14 chickens-3 black orpington, 2 americauna (1 blue and 1 black), 3 blr wyandottes (2 splash and 1 blue), 6 lavendar orpingtons, and a rabbit.
- Red Stars?
- Standard Large Fowl Breeds
- › The Last Wolves RP 9 seconds ago
- › Hi I am new to BYC 32 seconds ago
- › Please help - Approx 6 month Hen off her legs with curled toes 43 seconds ago
- › Candling eggsperts please check this out - give me your thoughts. 52 seconds ago
- › Heritage Large Fowl Thread 1 minute ago
- › Wisconsin "Cheeseheads" 1 minute ago
- › NY chicken lover!!!! 1 minute ago
- › The Middle Tennessee Thread 1 minute ago
- › May WYGS Mystery Swap~ Closed 2 minutes ago
- › how do YOU manage a break 2 minutes ago
- › Barnevelder by pysankigirl
- › Nankin Bantams by Cambium29
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by awaxt2003
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › My Golden Palace by MEMama3
- › My take on the "On Golden Coop"... by rockhopjohn
- › New San Ramon California Ordinance Effective... by Tangramon
- › BillysFlock by BillysFlock
- › Chicken Mansion Supreme by sandrachicken
- › The Weenie flock by wein315
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens
- › Processing Day Support Group SUMMARY of THREAD by Sally Sunshine