I only have one Red Star at the moment. She follows me everywhere in the run. Named her BusyBee and I swear if she could speak she would be asking, "What you doing" over and over....and over and over and over.
Related Forum Threads
- Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers Last post on 11/23/13 at 6:53pm in Feeding & Watering Your Flock
- Black Star Roo Last post on 4/4/13 at 2:07pm in Breeds, Genetics, & Showing
- McMurray Mystery Chick Breed? PICS Last post on 3/9/13 at 6:38am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Red star or comet??? Last post on 1/15/12 at 8:44am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Stars Last post on 7/23/09 at 10:59am in Breeds, Genetics, & Showing
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
- Star Golden CometLast edited: 1/10/12
- Star Red By RstampaLast edited: 1/10/12
I have six Royal Palm turkeys that are now about 5-6 months old. Thus far, I have not butchered any of the toms, but will once once we are through the rough part of our Minnesota winter. They are...
Perfect waterer for my 14 chickens and 5 guineas. I have it on top of a coffee container that is filled with sand and it stays put. I have two of them and I switch them out once a day and fill...
I have 11 Australorp hens on my farm and they are dedicated egg layers. They remain calm and allow me to touch them without much fuss. 4 of my girls are in a run with a Speckled Sussex hen and...
I received a Fayoumi chick as my exotic and have really enjoyed watching him grow. Slight in stature but big on personality. Henry, (rooster) has very accepting of 'others' in his run....he's...
One of my favorite breeds! I kept a small flock of these little darlings. My daughter had her pets and would carry them around. Good layers. Good mothers. Hardy. Loved 'em!
Red Stars? - Page 2post #11 of 2810/31/11 at 1:48pm4 Araucana's, 1 Red Star, 1 Black Austrolorpe, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Orpington, 7 rabbits, 2 cats I claim, 2 others that claim me, a Beagle, a Bagle (Beagle n Basset) 3 boys, a wife and anything else that shows up on the porch!4 Araucana's, 1 Red Star, 1 Black Austrolorpe, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Orpington, 7 rabbits, 2 cats I claim, 2 others that claim me, a Beagle, a Bagle (Beagle n Basset) 3 boys, a wife and anything else that shows up on the porch!
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #12 of 2810/31/11 at 5:48pm
I have 2, lady and Cindy both are 5 weeks and run from me as fast as they can but I have great hope they will be awesome sweet birds \\\\Cindy has more white feathers especially on the tips of her wings and Lady is more brown, I am happy I can tell the difference between the two- Lady is def a larger bird, but most certianly they are both female!post #13 of 281/12/12 at 4:36pm
I have what were sold to me as Brown Leghorns but I think they must be Brown Stars. They both developed terrible egg problems - soft shell, no shell, soft shell inside them I had to pull out with tweezers. At various times they both obviously felt very poorly. I isolated one in the warm basement for a few days and she got much better. Both seemed fine (but no longer laying) when all of a sudden I found one dead in the coop. I would never get this breed again. (My Production Reds and Barreds are fine.)post #14 of 281/15/12 at 2:21pmThread Starter
I'm sorry to here about your birds Chickens Again. My Red Stars are still doing great - four eggs every day (I had five hens, but a hawk got one ), and they are VERY friendly. My husband gives them leftovers from time to time. They really enjoy leftover Cheerios and milk.
High school librarian, chaser of two boys, owner of 11 Barred Rocks.
High school librarian, chaser of two boys, owner of 11 Barred Rocks.post #15 of 281/19/12 at 12:09pmpost #16 of 282/5/12 at 1:17pm
We have one a black sex link, about 10 months old, very friendly like the Australops.
Now, can they withstand a frigid, snowy, below zero winter (which is not occurring this season in the northeast,) but prior winters have been brutal.??
Our chickens have long, wide rabbit hutches to reside and hang out in, so, I want more sex links along with more barred rocks, I know the barreds can withstand the type of winter mentioned or described above, as they survived our brutal Mass, winter last year. But, the sex links?/
Persons have said that they can as they are RIr's with either white rock, or barred rock mixed, but, my Barred Rocks are definitely larger and have more feathers, than the sex link.post #17 of 282/5/12 at 1:26pmpost #18 of 282/23/12 at 4:24pm
We bought four Red Star pullets and they are very laid back and friendly...We have one in particular that likes to jump on a double seater swing with my husband! Will have to keep my camera handy next time it happens.post #19 of 282/23/12 at 4:25pmpost #20 of 284/18/12 at 12:32pm
For all of you here....I have 3 Red Stars. My question is...are all females red/white or are some of the males this way also? I know that they are sex-linked and the males and females look different, but I am getting conflicting information.
My three came to me at a week of age looking yellow and white and now at 8 1/2 weeks are red and white. Two are taller than the third, but only one has a comb.
Our urban farm family consists of a dog (Gracie), 2 cats, 7 chickens (3 black/1 buff/1 lav orpingtons, 1 blr wyandotte, and a cuckoo maran), and 2 rabbits (Mr. Gibs & Lily).
- Farm Daze
- › Count as high as possible before BantamFan4Life posts! 1 second ago
- › 5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long 3 seconds ago
- › Chickens Vs Ducks 16 seconds ago
- › Count as high as possible before ChicknsRock posts 19 seconds ago
- › Ideal Poultry VS My Pet Chicken 39 seconds ago
- › State a fact about yourself! 45 seconds ago
- › Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean? 1 minute ago
- › The 2nd Rate the avatar of the person above you! 1 minute ago
- › Lets count to a million 1 minute ago
- › The Cornish Cross: “What is wrong with this picture?!” There is so... 1 minute ago
- › Fort Cluckins by Idess
- › Cluckitall's coronation sussex by cluckitall
- › My Chickens1 by ChicknsRock
- › The hen that liked to hitch hike by Boondocks Farm
- › How much room do chickens need by Ridgerunner
- › Egg peritonitis is NOT incurable! Soft... by Luvmy9hens
- › Emu Hatch Fall 2013 to Spring 2014 by yinepu
- › Cold Weather Brooder / Coop by Lancaster KY
- › Cold Weather Brooder / Coop Tour by Lancaster KY
- › The Pros and Cons of Getting Chickens by roostersandhens