Yesterday I finished the gable ends and attached the food hopper to the side. This morning I applied the roofing and brought home six day old pullets. They are black and blond sex linked. I like the sex linked because you get that hybrid vigor and they are good layers. I am not sure if I want more than six chickens. I think that is max for my little starter coop. I had sex link birds before. They are not too fancy but I wanted to be sure I had pullets.
This is the food box with the lid by the side. The cleat holds the lid in place. The chickens have to poke their heads into the box to eat so there is no waste. I can see how far they reach back to cause the hopper to keep dispensing. If they can't reach far enough I will widen the slot that they feed through. The slot is about 2.5" wide now. From my experence it should be fine. The waterer will eventually be up on a shelf with a perch. If they drink from the perch than the water will always stay clean.
Here is the complete coop. Now I have to get busy making my new birds a run.
This pic shows the roost and some inside nest boxes.
These nest boxes are about 12" square but the end ones are a little smaller. It's a banty box. If the hens don't like the size I can always make bigger ones.
The door is made with half lap corners and 1x to sandwich the wire to the door.
Here are the new birdies. They just came to their new place so they are a bit askeerdid. I gave them a fresh lettuce leaf from my garden and a zucchini flower.