BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Where am I? Where are you! › Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australia - Six states..and that funny little island. - Page 3277

post #32761 of 32834
Quote:
Originally Posted by satay View Post


Yeah it has. humidity this morning is 96%.. Only getting to the late 20's in temp.
Intense it was i am not liking this weather at the moment cause the slightest noise or breath of wind freaks me out. Who'd of thought id ever say this but i'd be happy to go back to the land that rain forgot for a while. Though the rain has been nice. Since last tuesday we have had close to 200mm of rain.

 

Interesting stuff you experience up there satay ... although I have to say Victoria is trying its' best to catch up to Queensland.    Yesterday recorded high 20's with 100% humidity, which was totally unpleasant.   Today we are expecting floods, ,although nothing much has happened yet.  Thunderstorms and all that - which follows the unusually summer Q'land type  weather we have had for 2 weeks prior to today.

 

Begging for more rain.  

 

The chookies are locked up - although they remain ( mostly ) in their pens when it rains.   Mandy Welsummer however, cannot be trusted not to get saturated.     And I don't want her staggering across mud, as she is likely to do herself damage.   She gets around to where she wants to be - albeit very slowly still, and low to the ground, but can walk upright as well until ..... .  ( having discovered the main reason for it,  I think ) she walks on herself with her large feet, trips herself up - then uses her wings to steady herself.    Badly pigeon-toed, but with no sign of swelling of the feet at all.    Eats like two horses, and is perfect weight for a welsummer.   At 2 years of age, she was one heilluva big chook, btw.   She is ( they all are ) ... now 4.5 years of age.    

 

Cheers .......   


Edited by Anniebee - 3/22/17 at 3:21am

Aussie chook enthusiast !!! 

Reply

Aussie chook enthusiast !!! 

Reply
post #32762 of 32834
I am sooooooo sick of mud! 😶👎🏻

Aussie Mum to
our sizzle Al

our neurotic Partridge Silkie Penny

and our sweethearts the Salmon Favorelles girls, Colonel , Winry & Carl
And our big girls the Australorps, Pepper, Blackie and Tonio

Reply

Aussie Mum to
our sizzle Al

our neurotic Partridge Silkie Penny

and our sweethearts the Salmon Favorelles girls, Colonel , Winry & Carl
And our big girls the Australorps, Pepper, Blackie and Tonio

Reply
post #32763 of 32834

Thank you so much, I'm so glad to have found this site ;)

post #32764 of 32834
Quote:
Originally Posted by satay View Post


Yeah it has. humidity this morning is 96%.. Only getting to the late 20's in temp.
Intense it was i am not liking this weather at the moment cause the slightest noise or breath of wind freaks me out. Who'd of thought id ever say this but i'd be happy to go back to the land that rain forgot for a while. Though the rain has been nice. Since last tuesday we have had close to 200mm of rain.

 

Agreed. We've had two months worth of rain dumped on us all at once. It's soggy and boggy around the chook yard, though the pile of sand and pebbles left over from concreting I was annoyed with, came in handy fixing that problem. I've been cleaning the coops completely daily instead of weekly, and just removing and replacing dirty straw daily. Noticed some powdery mold on the bottom of the coop too, so attacked that with diluted bleach and alcohol foam. Clove oil is probably better, and sunshine but working with what I have in between rain.

 

The girls are still determined to dustbath in the wet soil. I admire their determination, but shake my head at their silliness. If they were ducks they might enjoy the weather more.

 

edit - Lol it just started raining again after I typed this. We better have a super green lawn after all this.


Edited by Fizzybelle - 3/20/17 at 10:40pm
post #32765 of 32834
Quote:
Originally Posted by satay View Post












Doesn't really do it justice but just some of our storm damage from the supercell that went through the other day.


WOW!  Glad you're okay

Chicken Obsessed!
Reply
Chicken Obsessed!
Reply
post #32766 of 32834

Good morning folks :frow

 

Fizzybelle Blondie is mid moult also .. twins! Lol

 

Out of 5 gals I have one laying, Crystal.  Dusty is doing a gradual moult and has no feathers on her head or neck; she looks like a vulture.  Cilla went from broody to moulting and has not laid for just over 2 months.  As mentioned, Blondie is also moulting which she started after a broody bout and she has not laid for over a month.  LuLu, well LuLu has laid 1 egg in 15 months so we kinda don’t count her anymore :rolleyes:

 

Sparky any bubs yet?

 

appps & Fizzybelle me too!  The lawn is nice and green but do not step on it or you sink up to your knees! ;)

Bambrook Bantams; Home to Cilla, Dusty, LuLu, Blondie and Crystal

 

'There is No snooze button on a chicken who wants breakfast'

 

'Until One Has Loved An Animal, Part Of Their Soul Remains Unawakened'

 

My Chicken Page: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bambrook-bantams

 

Teila's Tales from the Coop: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1109051/teilas-tales-from-the-coop

Reply

Bambrook Bantams; Home to Cilla, Dusty, LuLu, Blondie and Crystal

 

'There is No snooze button on a chicken who wants breakfast'

 

'Until One Has Loved An Animal, Part Of Their Soul Remains Unawakened'

 

My Chicken Page: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bambrook-bantams

 

Teila's Tales from the Coop: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1109051/teilas-tales-from-the-coop

Reply
post #32767 of 32834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzybelle View Post

Agreed. We've had two months worth of rain dumped on us all at once. It's soggy and boggy around the chook yard, though the pile of sand and pebbles left over from concreting I was annoyed with, came in handy fixing that problem. I've been cleaning the coops completely daily instead of weekly, and just removing and replacing dirty straw daily. Noticed some powdery mold on the bottom of the coop too, so attacked that with diluted bleach and alcohol foam. Clove oil is probably better, and sunshine but working with what I have in between rain.

The girls are still determined to dustbath in the wet soil. I admire their determination, but shake my head at their silliness. If they were ducks they might enjoy the weather more.

edit - Lol it just started raining again after I typed this. We better have a super green lawn after all this.
From the grass that i can see it is super green alright. We have more rain due today.Hopefully only showers. Our ground out here is sandstone based so like in the floods if we get too much rain it turns to like quick sand and even getting the car in and out the driveway is a challange.
post #32768 of 32834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzybelle View Post

Agreed. We've had two months worth of rain dumped on us all at once. It's soggy and boggy around the chook yard, though the pile of sand and pebbles left over from concreting I was annoyed with, came in handy fixing that problem. I've been cleaning the coops completely daily instead of weekly, and just removing and replacing dirty straw daily. Noticed some powdery mold on the bottom of the coop too, so attacked that with diluted bleach and alcohol foam. Clove oil is probably better, and sunshine but working with what I have in between rain.

The girls are still determined to dustbath in the wet soil. I admire their determination, but shake my head at their silliness. If they were ducks they might enjoy the weather more.

edit - Lol it just started raining again after I typed this. We better have a super green lawn after all this.
Must take some pictures of the chicken pens and all the trees that came down in it. Poor girls have to dodge tree branches and now muddy ground. They seem to love it though lol.
post #32769 of 32834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teila View Post

Good morning folks frow.gif

Fizzybelle
...Sparky any bubs yet?...

I'm not expecting any until Saturday or Sunday.

I candled my eggs this morning before lockdown. As a novic I reckon that there are 2 of the 6 bantam eggs and only 1 of the 12 Black Leghorns will hatch. I could be wrong and have left the others in the incubator just in case. I haven candled the 18 bantam eggs that Fluffybutt is sitting on but they had 16 days in the incubator before I put them under her.

I've heard that hatch rates are fairly low across NSW at the moment.
post #32770 of 32834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky74 View Post


I'm not expecting any until Saturday or Sunday.

I candled my eggs this morning before lockdown. As a novic I reckon that there are 2 of the 6 bantam eggs and only 1 of the 12 Black Leghorns will hatch. I could be wrong and have left the others in the incubator just in case. I haven candled the 18 bantam eggs that Fluffybutt is sitting on but they had 16 days in the incubator before I put them under her.

I've heard that hatch rates are fairly low across NSW at the moment.

 

 

Ooops, sorry, got my weekends mixed up!  Good luck :fl

Bambrook Bantams; Home to Cilla, Dusty, LuLu, Blondie and Crystal

 

'There is No snooze button on a chicken who wants breakfast'

 

'Until One Has Loved An Animal, Part Of Their Soul Remains Unawakened'

 

My Chicken Page: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bambrook-bantams

 

Teila's Tales from the Coop: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1109051/teilas-tales-from-the-coop

Reply

Bambrook Bantams; Home to Cilla, Dusty, LuLu, Blondie and Crystal

 

'There is No snooze button on a chicken who wants breakfast'

 

'Until One Has Loved An Animal, Part Of Their Soul Remains Unawakened'

 

My Chicken Page: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bambrook-bantams

 

Teila's Tales from the Coop: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1109051/teilas-tales-from-the-coop

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Where am I? Where are you!
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Where am I? Where are you! › Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.