The laying is not so important, I would rather have a quality bird. My standard blue is a nice bird, but is also laying well. I do know she came from minnesota, don't know the line because I got her from a family that planned on showing her but the 4-H leader moved. She was 3 months old when I bought her. I would love to find her a nice roo.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- brahmas vs cochins?? Last post on 12/24/11 at 8:31pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Rooster Breeds? Last post on 12/7/11 at 2:48pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- New flockmates! Last post on 5/12/13 at 8:47pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Cochin?? Last post on 4/20/10 at 5:11am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- I'm finally a momma!!!! *Pic heavy* New Px Pg6 Last post on 4/16/13 at 6:53pm in Pictures & Stories of My Chickens
Last edited: 1/23/12
- INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! Helpful NOTES LINKS & Informational POST...Last edited: 1/16/17
- The Lowdown on Red Sex LinksLast edited: 9/14/13
- The Villano FlockLast edited: 2/2/13
- The ComedihensLast edited: 4/25/13
My only Welsummer came from a hatchery. She arrived by mail in poor shape and was very undersized. She pulled through with extra attention but was stunted for many months. However, she eventually...
I was looking for a meat outcross for my EE hens, so I bought 25 Dark Cornish roosters. I raised them together and culled them down (sent to freezer camp) all but 5, then introduced them to my...
I've had several of these chickens. The free rooster I got from the hatchery looks like the one in the main photo. I also have a red one. The hens are all unique. They have the same basic...
I purchased two pullets and a cockerel from a fellow chicken lover. I don't regret it at all. These birds aren't too flighty, and always know when it's time to roost. They are great foragers, but...
We have two pair of these - black and blue. The females are sweet and make good show birds for small children. The lay enormous eggs considering their body size. The males are very agressive as is...
cochin vs brahma - Page 2
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #12 of 1912/18/11 at 9:03am
your lucky many exhibition lines aren't known for being good reliable layers!
I would look on the cochin and brahma threads and ask if anyone has good stock that are good producers as well. Then get eggs, chicks, or invest in started birds from them if possible.
Shadow Calibers Silkies and Design
NPIP # 55-1101
Shadow Calibers Silkies and Design
NPIP # 55-1101post #13 of 196/6/13 at 8:52pm
Does one make a better mother than the other? I know brahmas are bigger, so do they take more feed? I'm in the middle of emailing someone on Craigslist that can ship me some chicks, and they have both brahmas AND cochins, and I'm not sure which to get. Maybe both?post #14 of 196/6/13 at 8:52pmpost #15 of 197/2/13 at 8:10ampost #16 of 197/2/13 at 10:44amQuote:Originally Posted by lauranickerson
Does one make a better mother than the other? I know brahmas are bigger, so do they take more feed? I'm in the middle of emailing someone on Craigslist that can ship me some chicks, and they have both brahmas AND cochins, and I'm not sure which to get. Maybe both?
I think you should get both because I have heard so many great things about each breed and they are both beautiful birds!!post #17 of 199/14/14 at 12:32pmpost #18 of 191/17/15 at 4:47pmpost #19 of 192/21/16 at 4:48pm1 Himalayan & 1 Tiger Cat, 2 Pygmys, 5 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Blk Silkies, 1 Wht Silkies, 1 Polish Frizzle, 1 Cuckoo Silkie (my Avatar-Forest) & 12 Assort. Silkies, 3 Showgirls & 7 in the Brinsea....Holy Chickens!!1 Himalayan & 1 Tiger Cat, 2 Pygmys, 5 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Blk Silkies, 1 Wht Silkies, 1 Polish Frizzle, 1 Cuckoo Silkie (my Avatar-Forest) & 12 Assort. Silkies, 3 Showgirls & 7 in the Brinsea....Holy Chickens!!
- INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! Helpful NOTES LINKS & Informational POST...
- › *Your Flock* A Roleplay Where You Use Your Birds As Characters 7 minutes ago
- › Granny's gone and done it again 9 minutes ago
- › Treats 10 minutes ago
- › 2017 New Drug Law - What Are Your Plans? 10 minutes ago
- › how many Eggs you get today 11 minutes ago
- › Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Hen won't roost 18 minutes ago
- › Minnesota! 18 minutes ago
- › Cure for leg paralysis? 19 minutes ago
- › retarded chickens? neurological illness maby 19 minutes ago
- › Growing up chickens
- › 20 Things i wish i knew before i started...
- › Finally out of the coop!
- › A Portrait of Chicken....Portraits? (Chick...
- › An Experiment in Chick Sexing Methods
- › Poultry Ownership and Dealing with Loss (From...
- › WVduckchick's Ducks!
- › Our Lovely Ducks
- › My Pepper!
- › The little lone chick