Is anybody up for a 2012 Valentine's Day Hatch? I know that the NYD hatch isn't over yet but I am ready to set some more. (Actually I have been setting more already. ) Maybe we can have some contests too. The NYD hatch is so much fun, let's do it again.
The January Egg Swap will be setting eggs for Valentine's Day.
Chicken eggs need to be set at 4:00 pm on January 24, Duck and Turkey on January 17, and Cortinex Quail January 27 (I think).
Here is a link to the January Egg Swap.
1. Best Hatch Rate hosted by mrheinz77
To be eligible for this contest you must set at least 24 eggs as referenced in the original spreadsheet (I need to make this yet) and added to that spreadsheet by you (Mr or Mrs [or Miss or Dr] Hatch Participant) by 26 January 2012. You will self report your hatch rate on the said spreadsheet at the end of contest spreadsheet by 17 February 2012. You may be asked for a confirmation chick picture.
Prize by mrheinz77 12 eggs from mrheinz77's flock shipping included.
2. Funny Caption Contest:
Prize: A Box of 16 Country Themed Note Cards With Matching Envelopes
Rules: Post a Funny Chicken Themed Pic with A Funny Caption - Family Friendly Of Course
Votes Will Be From the Group After All Pics Have Been Submitted. Deadline for Posting the Pics is Feb 12, 2012 Voting Will Be From Feb 13 - 14, 2012
3. Hosted by 9Catsz
Mini Video Contest - Open to hatchers and nonhatchers alike.
Does Minnie the bantam like to ride around on your dog's back? Does Mrs. Goose take the funniest bath? Then this contest is for you.
Record some funny/cute/quirky antics of your flock. Here's an example:
1. Video must contain any chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, quail, turkeysl of any size. (I.E. anything one might hatch in the Valentine's day hatch.) No homo sapiens, please.
2. Video must be 30 seconds or less.
3. Video must be recorded by you or a family member. The subject doesn't necessarily have to be yours, but you have to make the video recording yourself.
4. Video cannot contain any copyrighted music. (If you didn't play the instruments and/or sing the song, unfortunately it's not yours to use...unless it's royalty-free music. )
5. Only 1 entry per BYC member.
6. Post the video in this thread with a little blurb stating it's your entry for this contest.
7. Contest open now and ends on February 10, 2012 at noon CST.
8. Videos will be posted on the following page so they may be viewed and voted on: Video Page Voting will be through PM to me with their choice of best video. Voting will begin after noon on February 10 through noon CST on February 14, 2012 and the winner will be announced later that day.
PRIZE: One dozen silkie/showgirl eggs from my flock. You can see most of my flock in the video I posted above.....I don't have any LF roosters, only silkie/showgirl roos and I'll only send silkie eggs.
Instructions on how to post a YouTube video.
[youtube] Copy and paste the video URL here [/youtube]
The video URL is just above your video in the address bar and starts with http://www.youtube.com/watch ... etc. etc.
4. Post a picture on the thread of a rooster in courting action, not mating, courting. You must take the picture to be eligible. Begin posting photos on the thread January 24. Contest ends February 14, 11:59:59 EST.
No photoshopping, etc.
*OPEN TO HATCHERS AND NON-HATCHERS ALIKE*
Only one entry (one photo) per BYC member.
anderson8505 will post photos on a separate page http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/vie er-contest and judge the winner. Winner will be posted on the thread on February 16, 2012.
Prize: 6 month GFM from anderson8505.
5. It's All In The Numbers Contest - Since Valentines Day is on 2/14/12 and I am a teacher - I will sponsor a contest. Adding up the digits in the date, you get the sum of 28. The first person to post a picture of 28 chicks from their Valentine Day Hatch will win. What do you win do you ask ?.. well again - it's in the numbers. Add up the digits in 28 and you get 10..as in $10.00. Prize is $10.00 Gift Certificate to the BYC Store. If no one hatches at least 28, then the closest number to the target will win.
Sponsored by: Shellyga
Week 1 Contest. Celebrity Look Alike Contest
01.24.2012-01.31.2014 sponsored by SuperChemicalGirl (SCG) Open to hatch participants, only.
It's a Celebrity Chicken Contest! You will need to post a picture that you took of a fowl that you own that looks like a celebrity. You will also need to post a picture of your look-alike celebrity for comparison, although you do not need to take that picture (just don't break any copyright laws in your quest!). You may photoshop the pictures slightly, but only to add props or background to aid in your look-alike. SCG to be sole arbiter of any issues. ?
The prize is a coupon for 8$ off 6 bags of Purina Poultry Feeds. You may purchase any of the following: 50 lb Flock Raiser, 40 lb Layena or Layena Omega or 50 lb Start & Grow. The coupon expires 5 March 2012.
Week 2 Poultry Story/Poem Contest Details are in the works. A poem/ poetry contest. It can be short or long, funny or sad. The only requirement is that it is about chicken. Sponsored by tuthillny
Prize $20 Amazon gift card from tuthillny
Edited by mrheinz77 - 1/24/12 at 11:48am