BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Geese › Raising Geese 101
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Raising Geese 101 - Page 33

post #321 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanna34 View Post
 

The gang getting bigger by the day and always happy to see me, I've notice that some are getting darker I think they have some Pilgrim in them that would be so great.

 

We put up blankets and boards around the enclosure as well so there is always shade during the day, even with the cover we put up the pen still gets a lot of sun.

 

It is starting to look like their tails are curling

 

 

 

The only completely yellow gosling, has blue eyes like a pilgrim

 

 

 

Pirate he/she is bigger than the rest now

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply
post #322 of 389

@Nanna34     They are growing and so precious too. Do you give them any kind of greens? you can chop up some Kale or romaine lettuce and give it to them they would love some greens. mine like chopped collards to. as long as they have access to grit they can have greens.

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply
post #323 of 389

They get tons of greens they are next to my herb and vegetable garden, they help themselves to whatever they can reach (I checked that what they are eating is ok). We give them oat grass that we pick from the field every morning.  Its adorable to see them sitting in a neat row by the fence every morning waiting for their breakfast.

I breed with Australorps and Silkies and is not ashamed to admit that I am an incubator addict
Reply
I breed with Australorps and Silkies and is not ashamed to admit that I am an incubator addict
Reply
post #324 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanna34 View Post
 

They get tons of greens they are next to my herb and vegetable garden, they help themselves to whatever they can reach (I checked that what they are eating is ok). We give them oat grass that we pick from the field every morning.  Its adorable to see them sitting in a neat row by the fence every morning waiting for their breakfast.

I bet that is precious of course we need a pic of it. lol I have to get my gosling fix from you all who have them now. I forgot yall are in spring good time for goslings. :)

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply
post #325 of 389

The rainy season has officially started we moved the goslings back to the brooder in the feed room, its a lot cosier in there.

 

The vet came again yesterday to give the pony her annual shots. She had a look at Pirate and said the gland that produces the oils for his/her feathers has been damaged so the poor thing will never be waterproof.  The vet said I need to purchase some type of synthetic oil and treat Pirate daily, any advice on this?  I know a little about wet feather but this is a whole new ball game for me, does this mean I will have to dry Pirate every time he/she gets wet?

I breed with Australorps and Silkies and is not ashamed to admit that I am an incubator addict
Reply
I breed with Australorps and Silkies and is not ashamed to admit that I am an incubator addict
Reply
post #326 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanna34 View Post
 

The rainy season has officially started we moved the goslings back to the brooder in the feed room, its a lot cosier in there.

 

The vet came again yesterday to give the pony her annual shots. She had a look at Pirate and said the gland that produces the oils for his/her feathers has been damaged so the poor thing will never be waterproof.  The vet said I need to purchase some type of synthetic oil and treat Pirate daily, any advice on this?  I know a little about wet feather but this is a whole new ball game for me, does this mean I will have to dry Pirate every time he/she gets wet?

I'd say your best option would be to dry pirate instead of trying to oil him up I can't see that working since it wouldn't be the same as what they produce . In the heat of summer it wouldn't be bad if he took time to dry but the cooler months would be the problem but you could just put the pool up once it gets cold. Most of us who lives where it gets below freezing have to do that anyway.

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply
post #327 of 389

This is the pond that will be theirs we are busy fixing it up, they love their trips to the pond always exploring.

This is my broody Australorp hen Beach she is fascinated by the goslings, always comes to greet them.  They are scared of her but she wont hurt them I think she wants to adopt them lol.

I breed with Australorps and Silkies and is not ashamed to admit that I am an incubator addict
Reply
I breed with Australorps and Silkies and is not ashamed to admit that I am an incubator addict
Reply
post #328 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanna34 View Post
 

This is the pond that will be theirs we are busy fixing it up, they love their trips to the pond always exploring.

This is my broody Australorp hen Beach she is fascinated by the goslings, always comes to greet them.  They are scared of her but she wont hurt them I think she wants to adopt them lol.

@Nanna34   they looks so tiny in that big area. lol that will be a nice pond for them. I have 2 BA's they are 2.5 yrs old and have never gone broody, I have read of others saying theirs are good broody's but mine have never shown any interest.

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply
post #329 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Lydia View Post
 

@Nanna34   they looks so tiny in that big area. lol that will be a nice pond for them. I have 2 BA's they are 2.5 yrs old and have never gone broody, I have read of others saying theirs are good broody's but mine have never shown any interest.


I cant stop mine I have 5 hens and when the one goes broody the rest follows, if I did not breed with them it would be an issue lol.  I got Plymouth barred rock x Potchefstroom Koekoek hens to lay eggs for me when they BAs go broody. I will have about 50 chicks by the end of the month, and that is only the eggs they are sitting on I have more in the incubator.  I want to try and incubate some of the goose eggs next year as well.

I breed with Australorps and Silkies and is not ashamed to admit that I am an incubator addict
Reply
I breed with Australorps and Silkies and is not ashamed to admit that I am an incubator addict
Reply
post #330 of 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanna34 View Post
 


I cant stop mine I have 5 hens and when the one goes broody the rest follows, if I did not breed with them it would be an issue lol.  I got Plymouth barred rock x Potchefstroom Koekoek hens to lay eggs for me when they BAs go broody. I will have about 50 chicks by the end of the month, and that is only the eggs they are sitting on I have more in the incubator.  I want to try and incubate some of the goose eggs next year as well.

Amazing, do you sell chicks? to have that many hatching at once? My brooders are my 2 Bantam ladies.  :)

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Geese
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Geese › Raising Geese 101