I'm thinking about getting 5 chickens and need to now what size coop I need and how big their run should be while i'm at work i plan on letting them run loose when I get home from work but need to keep them safe while i'm not home.
Related Forum Threads
- Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda- Coop Best Practices Last post on 5/19/13 at 10:50pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- The Duck Thread Last post on Today at 6:28 pm in Ducks
- Our Shipping Crate Coop - finally finished!!! (pic heavy) Last post on 2/10/13 at 9:59am in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- Coop Design Questions!!!! Last post on 10/27/13 at 9:27am in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- What does your goose coop look like? Last post on 3/23/13 at 4:53pm in Geese
One Woman, One Saw, One Week
Last edited: 10/27/13
- Les Farms - The Barn of all BARNS!Last edited: 11/11/13
- The Little Red BarnLast edited: 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsLast edited: 3/30/13
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.Last edited: 6/28/13
This is a great standard feeder. I use this type for chicks and younger birds. It holds a far amount of feed and the birds have no problems with it. Larger birds can easily knock it over though. If...
We bought this heated chicken waterer today because our chickens' water keeps freezing in the 28 degree, snowy weather and we wanted our chickens to have access to proper water, not frozen...
I bought One of these for my little sister, who at first named her 'Blue Girl', but somehow, now her name is Cupcake. Her feathering is so beautiful, it looks like an extremely talented artist did...
I got 4 Icelandic chicks last spring. Two were cockerels so I got rid of them and I kept the two pullets who I named Hatti, because of her crest the other Rue because it is an herb that grows wild...
Overall I would recommend these chickens.I bought 2 SlW's one turned out beautiful and the other one turned out pretty good but not as laced and stuff.They lay nice eggs.They aren't as friendly but...
Lost I need help
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #2 of 121/13/12 at 3:51pmpost #3 of 121/13/12 at 4:08pmpost #4 of 121/20/12 at 8:06amThread Starterpost #5 of 121/20/12 at 8:10am
Minimum Space Requirements
Type of Bird
Sq ft/bird inside
Sq ft/bird outside runs
*These are MINS, I recommend adding 3 FT extra. to each the bird inside and outside runs.
Hope this helps you! :)
post #6 of 121/20/12 at 8:28amThread Starterpost #7 of 121/20/12 at 10:19am
Yes! The only issue you have is when you start mixing roosters in with hens and not having enough hens to roosters.
Quote:post #8 of 121/20/12 at 10:23ampost #9 of 121/20/12 at 2:07pmThread Starterpost #10 of 121/20/12 at 2:27pm
All breeds of chickens get along but you my have heard about the pecking order. Chickens have a very rigid social order. Bringing in new chickens to an established flock leads to squabbles while they work out where everyone fits. The easiest thing to do is to buy all tour chickens very young and raise them together. You have to slowly introduce new chickens to a new home and preferrably not one at a time as they will be badly picked on. If you are only allowed 5 though you might want to think now about what you are going to do in a few years time when their laying drops off. Are you going to get rid of them and replace them to keep your egg numbers up, or would you be better getting fewer now and then a few younger ones in a couple of years. How many eggs a day do you need?3 labradors, 2 cats, 22 fish tanks and 21 chickens of various breeds in one fixed hen house and two tractors.3 labradors, 2 cats, 22 fish tanks and 21 chickens of various breeds in one fixed hen house and two tractors.
- Les Farms - The Barn of all BARNS!
- › BYC RULES! 9 seconds ago
- › Fifth Annual 2014 NYD Hatch a Long Contest 5- Guess the number of... 9 seconds ago
- › Pullet EYES SWOLEN, CAN'T EAT OR DRINK-NO OTHER SYMPTOMS 17 seconds ago
- › My son just passed his eagle scout board of review. 17 seconds ago
- › i'm bored. want to talk? 1 minute ago
- › Chick with freakishly HUGE eye sacks- mutation or infection? Doing... 1 minute ago
- › Wry Neck ? 1 minute ago
- › Coop Lighting and Egglaying 1 minute ago
- › The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site 1 minute ago
- › INDIANA BYC'ers HERE! 1 minute ago
- › Plastic 1 Quart Jar Feeder by Shalom Farm
- › Farm Innovators "All-Seasons" Heated Plastic Poultry... by reckless
- › Easter Eggers by turtleguy
- › Icelandic or Viking Hen by tommysgirl
- › Wyandotte by chickenboy190
- › Rhode Island by roostersandhens
- › Plymouth Rock by roostersandhens
- › Homing Pigeon by CochinBrahmaLover
- › Serama by CochinBrahmaLover
- › Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator by Avlana
- › Fort Cluckins by Idess
- › Cluckitall's coronation sussex by cluckitall
- › My Chickens1 by ChicknsRock
- › The hen that liked to hitch hike by Boondocks Farm
- › How much room do chickens need by BYC Project Manager
- › Egg peritonitis is NOT incurable! Soft... by Luvmy9hens
- › Emu Hatch Fall 2013 to Spring 2014 by yinepu
- › Cold Weather Brooder / Coop by Lancaster KY
- › Cold Weather Brooder / Coop Tour by Lancaster KY
- › The Pros and Cons of Getting Chickens by roostersandhens