I'm thinking about getting 5 chickens and need to now what size coop I need and how big their run should be while i'm at work i plan on letting them run loose when I get home from work but need to keep them safe while i'm not home.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda- Coop Best Practices Last post on 5/19/13 at 10:50pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- The Duck Thread Last post on 5/15/13 at 3:45pm in Ducks
- Our Shipping Crate Coop - finally finished!!! (pic heavy) Last post on 2/10/13 at 9:59am in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- Coop Design Questions!!!! Last post on 2/19/12 at 7:04am in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- What does your goose coop look like? Last post on 3/23/13 at 4:53pm in Geese
The Little Red Barn
Edited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.Edited on 5/11/13
- Serenity Garden Coop (Witchita Cabin knockoff)Edited on 3/18/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken CoopsEdited on 2/6/13
I can't say I have a ton of experience, but I do have a nine day old Mallard duckling named Pyrrhos(getting her some companions on Friday or Saturday). She is very talkative, but I don't mind the...
This and the 5 gallon version of this product are more disappointing products from Little Giant. I had to modify the handles on these to get them to hang straight enough to not leak (I...
If these waterers aren't fairly level they leak -- that's pretty obvious. We don't have a lot of flat level spots in our chicken areas, so decided to hang our waterers and let gravity level them...
I bought and installed several of these at one time and they all leaked right away. I removed one and took it back to the feed store where I bought it to ask for advice, and was told I wasn't the...
I have three White Chanteclers. The oldest one, Cottonball, is the head hen of our flock and is smart and kind. Our other two hens, Aurora and Borialis, are docile and lay many eggs, and are good...
Lost I need helppost #2 of 121/13/12 at 3:51pmpost #3 of 121/13/12 at 4:08pmpost #4 of 121/20/12 at 8:06amThread Starterpost #5 of 121/20/12 at 8:10am
Minimum Space Requirements
Type of Bird
Sq ft/bird inside
Sq ft/bird outside runs
*These are MINS, I recommend adding 3 FT extra. to each the bird inside and outside runs.
Hope this helps you! :)
post #6 of 121/20/12 at 8:28amThread Starterpost #7 of 121/20/12 at 10:19am
Yes! The only issue you have is when you start mixing roosters in with hens and not having enough hens to roosters.
Quote:post #8 of 121/20/12 at 10:23ampost #9 of 121/20/12 at 2:07pmThread Starterpost #10 of 121/20/12 at 2:27pm
All breeds of chickens get along but you my have heard about the pecking order. Chickens have a very rigid social order. Bringing in new chickens to an established flock leads to squabbles while they work out where everyone fits. The easiest thing to do is to buy all tour chickens very young and raise them together. You have to slowly introduce new chickens to a new home and preferrably not one at a time as they will be badly picked on. If you are only allowed 5 though you might want to think now about what you are going to do in a few years time when their laying drops off. Are you going to get rid of them and replace them to keep your egg numbers up, or would you be better getting fewer now and then a few younger ones in a couple of years. How many eggs a day do you need?3 labradors, 2 cats, 22 fish tanks and 21 chickens of various breeds in one fixed hen house and two tractors.3 labradors, 2 cats, 22 fish tanks and 21 chickens of various breeds in one fixed hen house and two tractors.
- Lost I need help
- ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
- › Emu Hatch-a-long 2012 4 minutes ago
- › May Hatch Thread--Fill up those bators n' broodies! 5 minutes ago
- › Can you help interpret this "legal" jargon?!?! 7 minutes ago
- › ex battery hens 8 minutes ago
- › Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Eggs 8 minutes ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 10 minutes ago
- › in this random rambling thread we post random pictures 15 minutes ago
- › First Day with Chicks 16 minutes ago
- › Incubating "dirty" eggs 17 minutes ago
- › North Carolina 19 minutes ago
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by LeslieDJoyce
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by LeslieDJoyce
- › Automatic King Size Poultry Fount - 2550 by LeslieDJoyce
- › Chantecler by BravewingTheHen
- › Cochin by BravewingTheHen
- › Ameraucana by starbugs
- › Cornish Cross by cynthiagee
- › La Fleche by theeggbasket
- › Barred Rock by techpeak
- › Chicken's Communication by roostersandhens
- › Yearg's Chicks - The Coop by YeargsChicks
- › "Mattersville" Coop/Pergola by match-nickel
- › Maggie's "Fab 6" Brooder by chixrus2013
- › Our humble coop - for 4 chickens. by Aussie-Chook
- › The Hot Headed Hen House by EagleChickens
- › This is my new coop. by hairco
- › Poultry Playpen by ftroop
- › Troost Roost by stuckinvtown
- › Fowl Territory by softblooper