I'm thinking about getting 5 chickens and need to now what size coop I need and how big their run should be while i'm at work i plan on letting them run loose when I get home from work but need to keep them safe while i'm not home.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda- Coop Best Practices Last post on 5/19/13 at 10:50pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- The Duck Thread Last post on 5/15/13 at 3:45pm in Ducks
- Our Shipping Crate Coop - finally finished!!! (pic heavy) Last post on 2/10/13 at 9:59am in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- Coop Design Questions!!!! Last post on 2/19/12 at 7:04am in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- What does your goose coop look like? Last post on 3/23/13 at 4:53pm in Geese
The Little Red Barn
Edited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.Edited on 5/11/13
- Serenity Garden Coop (Witchita Cabin knockoff)Edited on 3/18/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken CoopsEdited on 2/6/13
We have been using the 3 Gallon Little Giant unit for about a year and a half. Our local co-op got these in for us at a bulk price. The lady we deal with at the co-op told us we really needed...
I installed the door, photo sensor and solar panel last year. Once I got it set up it has worked flawlessly ever since. The only small problem I had was getting the connections to the battery to...
I can't say I have a ton of experience, but I do have a nine day old Mallard duckling named Pyrrhos(getting her some companions on Friday or Saturday). She is very talkative, but I don't mind the...
If these waterers aren't fairly level they leak -- that's pretty obvious. We don't have a lot of flat level spots in our chicken areas, so decided to hang our waterers and let gravity level them...
I bought and installed several of these at one time and they all leaked right away. I removed one and took it back to the feed store where I bought it to ask for advice, and was told I wasn't the...
Lost I need helppost #2 of 121/13/12 at 3:51pmpost #3 of 121/13/12 at 4:08pmpost #4 of 121/20/12 at 8:06amThread Starterpost #5 of 121/20/12 at 8:10am
Minimum Space Requirements
Type of Bird
Sq ft/bird inside
Sq ft/bird outside runs
*These are MINS, I recommend adding 3 FT extra. to each the bird inside and outside runs.
Hope this helps you! :)
post #6 of 121/20/12 at 8:28amThread Starterpost #7 of 121/20/12 at 10:19am
Yes! The only issue you have is when you start mixing roosters in with hens and not having enough hens to roosters.
Quote:post #8 of 121/20/12 at 10:23ampost #9 of 121/20/12 at 2:07pmThread Starterpost #10 of 121/20/12 at 2:27pm
All breeds of chickens get along but you my have heard about the pecking order. Chickens have a very rigid social order. Bringing in new chickens to an established flock leads to squabbles while they work out where everyone fits. The easiest thing to do is to buy all tour chickens very young and raise them together. You have to slowly introduce new chickens to a new home and preferrably not one at a time as they will be badly picked on. If you are only allowed 5 though you might want to think now about what you are going to do in a few years time when their laying drops off. Are you going to get rid of them and replace them to keep your egg numbers up, or would you be better getting fewer now and then a few younger ones in a couple of years. How many eggs a day do you need?3 labradors, 2 cats, 22 fish tanks and 21 chickens of various breeds in one fixed hen house and two tractors.3 labradors, 2 cats, 22 fish tanks and 21 chickens of various breeds in one fixed hen house and two tractors.
- Lost I need help
- ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
- › want to solve fertilizing debate. 7 seconds ago
- › WHAT IS THE COLDEST TEMP MY 8 WEEK OLDS CAN HANDLE RIGHT NOW? 9 seconds ago
- › CHICKEN SWAPS OF NH SWAP LISTINGS 16 seconds ago
- › chick cant walk 53 seconds ago
- › Long live the King - the neverending story of Brahmalot! 1 minute ago
- › Somethin Getting into chickens and Chicks! please Help! 1 minute ago
- › I have two Roosters! Is this a problem? 1 minute ago
- › Chasing Chicks in the Dark - Not the way I planned to spend this... 1 minute ago
- › Official BYC Contest: 200,000 BYC Members? Guess the DAY & HOUR and... 1 minute ago
- › post your chicken coop pictures here! 1 minute ago
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door Chickendoors.com by celticgarden
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by LeslieDJoyce
- › Automatic King Size Poultry Fount - 2550 by LeslieDJoyce
- › Chantecler by BravewingTheHen
- › Cochin by BravewingTheHen
- › Ameraucana by starbugs
- › Cornish Cross by cynthiagee
- › La Fleche by theeggbasket
- › Rich & Sarah's "Cozy Cochin... by Scifisarah
- › And it's DONE! by PatQ
- › Chicken's Communication by roostersandhens
- › Yearg's Chicks - The Coop by YeargsChicks
- › "Mattersville" Coop/Pergola by match-nickel
- › Maggie's "Fab 6" Brooder by chixrus2013
- › Our humble coop - for 4 chickens. by Aussie-Chook
- › The Hot Headed Hen House by EagleChickens
- › This is my new coop. by hairco
- › Poultry Playpen by ftroop