For what it is worth and future reference. Of the chicks pictured above, the one furthest to the left was significantly lighter in color than the other two. It turned out to be male. So I have a trio! they are cuckoo maran.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- What breed is this and is it boy or girl? Last post on 5/24/16 at 1:26pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- The Best Layer Last post on 1/17/16 at 8:33am in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Will Pure Black Ameraucana Roo over Barred Rock, Domonique and Cuckoo Maran Hens make Olive Egg... Last post on 12/27/15 at 4:27pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Dominique Roo x White Plymouth Rock Hen? Last post on 4/3/16 at 6:45am in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Dominique or Barred Rock?? Last post on 8/10/15 at 2:52am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- The Villano FlockLast edited: 2/2/13
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
- Dominique Staggered Not Quite Black On Not Quite White BarringLast edited: 1/10/12
If ever I had to restrict myself to a single breed to meat all of my meat, egg and "chicken therapy" needs, this would be the one. Not only are my NNs prolific layers of large to jumbo sized...
I love this product. I cannot believe no one has reviewed it yet. I started with the chick version- and moved up to this. While at work all day, I wanted to keep my girls busy. This product is...
I bought one of these when I first got my birds- I have since converted it to an oyster-shell dispenser- works wonderfully for that function in my coop. This past summer, I bought a second one to...
A very good book. It's full of very useful information, pictures, and tips. I'd recommend it.
I think this waterer is great. It only holds 2 gallons of water so if you're a younger, older or out of shape it's not too much work to carry from the hose to the coop. It's it's very easy to fill...
Gender with head spot - Page 2post #12 of 143/24/12 at 9:06pm
One of mine turned out male also. the one on the left turned out male and the one on the right female. i didnt c it then but looking back at pics i do see the differnce in head spotspost #13 of 144/14/12 at 5:40pm
There is also a google page about "sexing cuckoo marans". Apparently you can tell what is a boy and girl right away. The girls will be darker (more blackish than gray) and have smaller head dots. The female also has more of a pattern on her (when she is getting older) that is more "lined" while the males will be more grayish and have larger head dots. When they start showing their feathers, the pattern is more hodge=podge....not in rows.
Mother of 4, grandma to 6. 1 DH (43 years), 1 pug, 8 EE's, 2 Lav Ams, 2 BCM, 2 Polish, 6 Naked Necks, Frizzles, & 1 GL Wyandottes, 1 SLW, 1 Isbar, 5 Runner Ducks & 1 Khaki Campbell, 1 , 1 Cochin, 2 Olive Eggers, 1 Bk Minorca, 3 Mottled Orpingtons, 1 Delaware, 1 RIR, 1 Cuckoo Marans, 2 Swedish Flowers, 1 Silkies, 6 Crested Legbar, 2 Brahmas and other mixed hens! Plus, lots of chicks!
Mother of 4, grandma to 6. 1 DH (43 years), 1 pug, 8 EE's, 2 Lav Ams, 2 BCM, 2 Polish, 6 Naked Necks, Frizzles, & 1 GL Wyandottes, 1 SLW, 1 Isbar, 5 Runner Ducks & 1 Khaki Campbell, 1 , 1 Cochin, 2 Olive Eggers, 1 Bk Minorca, 3 Mottled Orpingtons, 1 Delaware, 1 RIR, 1 Cuckoo Marans, 2 Swedish Flowers, 1 Silkies, 6 Crested Legbar, 2 Brahmas and other mixed hens! Plus, lots of chicks!post #14 of 146/6/16 at 2:21pm
- The Villano Flock
- › Surviving Minnesota! 20 seconds ago
- › Duck foot problem: help appreciated! 1 minute ago
- › What are your chickens names? 1 minute ago
- › EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine, learn... 1 minute ago
- › Hello, I need a little help 1 minute ago
- › Did you know..... Chat Thread! W/ Hosts: DwayneNLiz,... 2 minutes ago
- › Daily (or weekly) Chicken Picture Thread- Post your chicken pics here! 2 minutes ago
- › October 2016 Hatch-A-Long!! 3 minutes ago
- › Duck Avery 4 minutes ago
- › HELLO FROM VIRGINIA! 4 minutes ago
- › Naked Neck-turken by DesertChic
- › Resolve Sustainable Solutions Farmer's Helper HotCake Poultry... by KrisCVT
- › Little Giant Hanging Waterer by KrisCVT
- › The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens: Everything... by Flock Master64
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by Flock Master64
- › Yardbird Chicken Plucker by duluthralphie
- › Brinsea Mini Eco Egg Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Sanven Janoel 48 Eggs Digital Automatic Turner Incubator Hatcher... by southernhusky
- › Polish by Faverolle Lover
- › Ma Flock
- › Metro Boston
- › Mia HammAndEggs & her sisters
- › Coq au Vin
- › Most Intelligent Peep🐔🐓🐤 Testing Stats
- › Gramma's No Time To Cook Chicken Chicken
- › Essential Oils and chickens!
- › Tips to Create a Chicken Coop That You and...
- › One little quail chick
- › Clucksville Assignment/Work page (check often)