Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion Last post on 12/8/13 at 5:38pm in Breeds, Genetics, & Showing
- Cochins Last post on 1/29/08 at 2:48pm in Breeds, Genetics, & Showing
- I'm finally a momma!!!! *Pic heavy* New Px Pg6 Last post on 4/16/13 at 6:53pm in Pictures & Stories of My Chickens
- Cochin or Easter egger hatcheries in Pa. ? Last post on 7/2/13 at 6:33pm in Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries
- looking for opinions on breeds Last post on 11/1/13 at 10:12pm in Breeds, Genetics, & Showing
Last edited: 1/23/12
- The Lowdown on Red Sex LinksLast edited: 9/14/13
- The ComedihensLast edited: 4/25/13
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
- Cochin Black By Liberty Hill HenLast edited: 1/10/12
I have a 5 month cockerel named Mr Sassy Pants. He shuffles when he walks because of the feathered feet. He likes to fly high (over 5-6 feet) to avoid trouble with the other hens. His mate is a...
We initially had two, Henrietta and Harriet, unfortunately Henrietta was a bit of a wonderer and got hit by a car It was a real blow as they made a lovely pair. Would recommend to anyone who...
Love these! My chickens adore them, except one hen. They are great for an extra bit of protein. They helped in taming some of the more feral birds and got them perching on my shoulders and arms....
I love this block. Each time its on sale I pick one up. If you have birds in a run all day or part of the day, its a great boredom cure. They can over-eat it though. If you get a lot of ran water...
Only had my point-of-lay White Star for a couple of months, but she's fast become a favourite! Bags of personality. She's had her wings clipped but she still manages to get up on things my other...
Anyone have any idea what breed she is? - Page 2
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #12 of 211/24/12 at 9:15am
Umm, do you have any other photos of your Buff? She looks like a boy from here. (I see the start of possible hackle feathers)
Araucanas, Polish, Shamos, Olive Eggers, and a handful of Finn Sheep, Wensleydale Sheep, Gotland Sheep, Kinder Goats, a Yak, and various rare breed Turkeys, Ducks, and Pigs.
Araucanas, Polish, Shamos, Olive Eggers, and a handful of Finn Sheep, Wensleydale Sheep, Gotland Sheep, Kinder Goats, a Yak, and various rare breed Turkeys, Ducks, and Pigs.post #13 of 211/24/12 at 9:19amQuote:
No fowl ATM. 3 dogs, 6 cats, 2 ferrets, 5 guinea pigs, 10+ rats, Bearded dragon, Mexican black kingsnake, ball python, 4 fish tanks and dubia roaches
No fowl ATM. 3 dogs, 6 cats, 2 ferrets, 5 guinea pigs, 10+ rats, Bearded dragon, Mexican black kingsnake, ball python, 4 fish tanks and dubia roachespost #14 of 211/24/12 at 10:28amThread Starterpost #15 of 211/24/12 at 11:12amThread Starterpost #16 of 211/24/12 at 1:41pmpost #17 of 211/24/12 at 1:59pmThread Starterpost #18 of 212/11/12 at 9:20pm~Lisa, addicted to poofy cheeked fuzzy butts! And the overworked pet to a herd of 61 bossy Turkens, Rocks, Sexlinks, Houdans, Marans, Olive EE's, EE's, Ameraucanas, Polish, Showgirls, Silkies, a Frizzle, an Austra-white and paint and black NN/SG mixes. AND 6 coturnix quail. http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/la-casa-de-pollos-member-page~Lisa, addicted to poofy cheeked fuzzy butts! And the overworked pet to a herd of 61 bossy Turkens, Rocks, Sexlinks, Houdans, Marans, Olive EE's, EE's, Ameraucanas, Polish, Showgirls, Silkies, a Frizzle, an Austra-white and paint and black NN/SG mixes. AND 6 coturnix quail. http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/la-casa-de-pollos-member-pagepost #19 of 214/2/12 at 8:16am
Your second photo after the plymouth barred Rock (red/white feathers) she looks like a Lohmann Rhode Island Red. I just picked up three that look exactly like her (although REALLY rough) from a closed down farm.
The Lohmann are a hybrid bird.
"Lohmanns are most peoples first choice when they think of a hen, and it is easy to see why. Fantastic layers (they will lay practically every day, 365 days a year) easy to tame, and very friendly and inquisitive.
The Lohmann is a Rhode Island Red crossed with a Light Sussex. They are known by a few other names - warrens, (Omlet call them gingernut rangers). They have a deep breast, neatly tucked wings and an upward pointing tail. The legs are featherless and are pale yellow. They have 4 toes. The comb is a medium size and the face is smooth and red with medium wattles and earlobes. The Lohmann is a prolific egg layer and lays large brown eggs. They are placid, friendly and inquisitive. They are also exceptionally easy to tame and will follow you around when you are in the garden. They are hardy birds who are very happy free ranging and love to forage. They make excellent pets for children due to their gentle nature and friendliness. "
Proud Military wife, mother to two muts, one cat, two rats, 3 Plymouth Barred Rock, 2 rhode Island Red, 3 ISA Brown and counting!!
Proud Military wife, mother to two muts, one cat, two rats, 3 Plymouth Barred Rock, 2 rhode Island Red, 3 ISA Brown and counting!!post #20 of 219/15/12 at 1:35pm
I just purchased a chicken today that has EXACTLY the same coloring. The gentleman I purchased her from raises his chickens from eggs. He said our hen was a cross between a Rock and a Rhode Island Red. I am not sure what type of Rock. I have never had any of that breed so the name didn't stick with me., I only processed the word ROCK. At any rate, although I have only had her a day and she is still in solitary until she can be released to the general population (which is only two others as we are residential chicken owners) she is very very timid and seems very sweet. She will either stay on my arm or stay close to where I put her on the ground. Hope that she will be a good pet as that is what we keep our chickens for (as well as for eggs, flower fertilizer, and to mulch our leaves).
- The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
- › RANDOM STUFF! 21 seconds ago
- › How do you know if your chickens are fat? 33 seconds ago
- › Stella's Social Club 44 seconds ago
- › New Way To Hatch And Grow An Duck Embryo Try #3 ( Here We Go) 1 minute ago
- › Consolidated Kansas 1 minute ago
- › Chicken's Weekly UPDATE VIDEOS (VLOGS) 2 minutes ago
- › 5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long 2 minutes ago
- › Michigan Thread - all are welcome! 2 minutes ago
- › Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man 2 minutes ago
- › Chickens in the road and legal ramifications 2 minutes ago
- › Mille Fleur Bantam by Sirracha
- › Cornish by Jersey101
- › Happy Hen Treats Mealworm Frenzy by Shalom Farm
- › Land O'Lakes Purina Sunfresh Flock Block Pet Food by Shalom Farm
- › White Star Hybrid by Libbynugget
- › Hova Bator Egg Incubator 1602N with Circulated Air Fan Kit by Shalom Farm
- › Plastic 1 Quart Jar Feeder by Shalom Farm
- › Farm Innovators "All-Seasons" Heated Plastic Poultry... by reckless
- › Easter Eggers by turtleguy
- › Icelandic or Viking Hen by tommysgirl
- › My Chickens, Royalty With Feathers by Nickeyo
- › Chicken Orchard by Nickeyo
- › Fort Cluckins by Idess
- › Cluckitall's coronation sussex by cluckitall
- › My Chickens1 by ChicknsRock
- › The hen that liked to hitch hike by Boondocks Farm
- › How much room do chickens need by Nifty-Chicken
- › Egg peritonitis is NOT incurable! Soft... by Luvmy9hens
- › Emu Hatch Fall 2013 to Spring 2014 by yinepu
- › Cold Weather Brooder / Coop by Lancaster KY