My wife and I are heading there tomorrow and are anxiously awaiting are chickens! We are definitely "newbies" as this will be our first backyard flock. The coop is completed. The food has been bought. Now, all we need are two easter eggers, a RIR, and a PR.
Related Forum Threads
- Diffences Between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas Last post on 6/5/13 at 5:56pm in Breeds, Genetics, & Showing
- Cashs Blue Eggs and Araucanas Lanae Cash Willits, CA 95490 email@example.com Last post on 12/26/12 at 8:34am in Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries
- Bad pic. Can u tell breed?? Last post on 6/10/13 at 12:56am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Cochin or Easter egger hatcheries in Pa. ? Last post on 5/30/13 at 1:26pm in Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries
- looking for opinions on breeds Last post on 6/6/13 at 9:31am in Breeds, Genetics, & Showing
Edited on 1/23/12
- Easter Egger Chicks in My ShedEdited on 5/14/13
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsEdited on 6/27/11
- Rhode Island Mahogany Rose CombEdited on 1/10/12
- Rhode Island Red By AagotEdited on 1/10/12
Buffy is our only Orpington. She is independent, lower on the pecking order, but big, fluffy and likes to cluck. She lays frequently when not broody. She's my only brooder so far that I have...
These are my first chickens, gifts from a daughter for Christmas. Once they started laying, it's rare to have a day without one egg from each hen. They come when I call them, stay close to the...
I have six Japanese Bantams. Five hens and one rooster. Grace, Zoey, Lemon, DeLacey, and DeLaney are the hens, and George Tucker is my rooster. They make up about 1/5 of my chickens. I have all...
I just LOVE my sicilian buttercup, Poppy. Anytime I go outside she loves to hop up onto my back or my arm. She's very curious and loves to he held or played with. I've also noticed that she loves...
My Brown Leghorns are very good natured, and easy to care for. they lay well and lay large eggs. You can count on a dozen plus out of this coop every 4 days with only three hens laying. I get a...
Going to Poultry Hollow (Brush Creek, TN) Tomorrow, will give an update when I get back home.post #2 of 52/7/12 at 7:20am
How exciting! Take your camera!
Married to the old dude, 0 human kids, 2 horses, 10 cockatiels, 2 parakeets, 1 sun conure, 1 amazon parrot, 1 eccentric peacock, 1 gsd, 1 pet terrapin, 1 Blue Copper Maran rooster, and 14 world famous Jersey Giants!
Stan the Man will be missed.
Stan the Man will be missed.post #3 of 52/7/12 at 8:24amThread Starterpost #4 of 54/4/12 at 8:57am
Just out of curiosity,why did you choose those particular breeds? I take it they're not just for "pets"?
post #5 of 511/13/12 at 6:18am
This was sent to Poultry Hollow as well and I'm waiting to hear back from them. After my experience there Saturday, I'll never return and I'll encourage other to avoid it as well.
I will preface my comments by saying I really needed two birds to help keep my very small flock warm this winter and I had been to Poultry Hollow last year with other friends who bought chickens from them. Poultry Hollow is about an hour away from where I live in Nashville.I took a friend who had never been to Poultry Hollow and who was looking for the same thing and together we wanted four birds.
We got there 30 after they opened on Saturday and a guy greeted us and told us it would take about 30 minutes because they were "filling an order." There were four people filling the orders and no one asked us how many chickens we wanted. We walked around and an hour and fifteen minutes later we were told they could help us. As we started telling the older woman what we wanted, she realized there was one more order to fill and we were told to wait again. By now the two younger (grandson and grand daughter?) people had stopped working and one took a smoke break and another was playing with the dog. Neither offered to help us. The older woman finally gave us her attention again and we started looking for birds. Out of all the chickens she had, she struggled to find four female pullets for us. All the other chickens were either, roosters or too young.
We started getting really frustrated when she stopped again to pay the grandson and granddaughter for a few hours work and then the grandson started arguing with her about car insurance WHILE WE WERE RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM. He was $100 short for his car insurance and kept saying, "I don't want to be in debt to you, but I also don't want to use all my money for insurance." It was really embarrassing being in the middle of all this when we had (by this time) waited 1.5 hours to get our birds. The older woman finally told him she'd talk to him later and went looking for another bird. My friend really needed to go and told her to not worry about getting her two chickens, because she really needed to get back home. I paid the woman and as we were leaving she said again, "I'm sorry you had to wait." We didn't say anything because it was evident we were the last thing she wanted to deal with and the actions that occurred the previous 1.5 hours proved it. She then said if we were going to be so rude then we just better not come back again. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. If they do not want the public to come to their place to buy chicken, then don't be open to the public. If you are open to the public, then dealing with the public should be a priority.
The whole experience was very unprofessional and left me feeling really sad about the whole experience. I'll never go there again and I'll never encourage anyone else to interact with them. It was a very disappointing experience.
- Easter Egger Chicks in My Shed
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 24 seconds ago
- › Pasty Butt chicks 1 minute ago
- › BWAA, HA, HA! You would think that after 15 years, the Hubs would... 1 minute ago
- › Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man 1 minute ago
- › California - Northern 1 minute ago
- › Keep a word, drop a word! 2 minutes ago
- › I need help! 2 minutes ago
- › The 2nd Rate the avatar of the person above you! 4 minutes ago
- › Why is my chicken laying soft eggs? 5 minutes ago
- › How can I get rid of my mice and rat problem ?? 9 minutes ago
- › Orpington by chickenteacher2
- › Red Sex Link by Hogs and Horns
- › Japanese by MoodyBroody622
- › Sicilian Buttercup by Glimmer Otnes
- › White Leghorn Pullets by HershelMS
- › Wyandotte by The Bantam Guy
- › Ameraucana by 1stTimeChikMama
- › Icelandic or Viking Hen by my urban barnyard
- › Plymouth Rock by australorp41
- › Easter Eggers by mrstomcat
- › Cedar Acres Coop! by CedarAcres
- › Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! by SillyChicken
- › The Hunger Games -----Awesome RP - Members Page! by IceFire
- › My wife thinks I've "flown the... by bartholomew82
- › The Royal Chickens of Cluck Caslte by ChickFuentes
- › Darkstar's Palace by elisem
- › Bls5049 Swap page by bls5049
- › Pullet Grower Tractor by Kagen
- › Dead Hen by cortneyh
- › Hello every one! by Sandstorm495