I'm afraid I was one of those-- not so patient in waiting people. I ordered some chicks to get here by the first of Feb. McMurry was right on time. It's still hard to think about how those poor little babies were. Several dead, and the others just stood there shivering. What was I thinking? It's winter here in Utah. I assumed there would be a heat pack and all would be comfy cozy. No heat pack. All shivering, then most gone within a few days. I had called the second day telling them what was going on. I was almost in tears. The lady said, call the next day, give it the full three days, they guarantee, then let the person know how many have died, and how many look "only" 95 percent. They would replace. They are replacing 20 out of the 27 that came..that tells you how bad things were. They were willing to ship right away, I asked if we could wait until March. The weather is warmer in that month, usually. She said they would put a heat pack in. Now, I'm crossing my fingers that March will be ok. I've learned my lesson. Don't order in the winter, and from what I'm reading here..the summer, because we get very hot here in the summer too. March is nice, and it will be mid March. I won't be worring too much for them by then. Yes, need to be more responsible on this end. I know now!
Chick order past due...replacements ordered - Page 2
That's the tricky part of living up north....do you hold off until April and get whatever's left, or do you order what you actually want earlier, and hope the poultry gods are smiling down on you when delivery time comes? I like to get mine early...late Feb to early March, temps just starting to consistently stay above freezing. I've not had problems with weather or chilled chicks. I've had a couple slow shipments where chicks were stuck in the postal system for 4 days, and that did result in dead chicks, but the weather has yet to smack me around.
On a positive note, I called McMurray this morning to make a substitution on my order (after reading the "Old Timers" thread for way to long yesterday, I decided to go with my original plan, and switched the BOs out for NHRs.), and it turns out I was able to get the Delawares I'd wanted! I'm also driving to the hatchery to pick them up on Sunday...all the shipping horror stories are making me paranoid. That, and I get cabin fever this time of year...I'll use any excuse for a road-trip!
April, lucky you can do that! And yes! NH's! Mature quick, and are great layers sooner than later.
I know, right?! I figured I'd be stuck with the Orps. I mean, really - I was calling days before my ship date! And being able to add the Delawares (they were listed as "limited" or "male only") that I wanted on top of all that.... yep, I was giddy. And theeeeen....after yesterday's P.O. debacle with my Dom eggs, I got my EE and Saxony eggs in perfect condition...whew! Yep, it's been a good day.