New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HEN ATE POISONED MOUSE

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Yesterday was the first time we've seen our hen carrying around a mouse.  We were so freaked out that we threw some shoes on and chased our poor hen all over the yard until I was able to get her to drop the mouse and then I threw it away in burn barrell. Unfortunently, today the same hen was running around with another mouse in her mouth. My mistake and I sent my son and daughter go get the mouse to no avail she ate the mouse whole.

 

Later that day I found out that my parents, who rent the barn on the same land that we rent our house had put out POISON!!! OMG!! HEEEELLLPPP!!!!

 

Two concerns, first of all will my poor hen be okay? Second, will my eggs be okay? we do sell eggs so if they aren't safe to eat or sell how long should we wait before eating again.

post #2 of 8

Definitely don't eat or sell any eggs til you're sure the poison is out of her system.  There's really nothing you can do for the hen that I know of except for wait and see if she's okay.  Hopefully the mouse didn't consume the poison or didn't have enough of it...

You should remove all of the poison and make sure everybody knows not to put poison within reach of the birds.  Even if there weren't mice, they could still find the poison itself and eat it.

 

post #3 of 8

Try to find out what kind of poison - specifically, what the ingredient is.  Traditional mouse/rat poisons are warfarin, which is indeed dangerous to the animal who eats the mouse, and to you if you get enough by eating chicken or eggs.  A much safer rat poison on the market contains bromadiolone.  It is designed to be safe for the animal who eats the poisoned mouse.  There is some carryover, but a chicken who eats one or two mice poisoned with this product should be fine.  Lots of research on the subject will turn up with a basic Google search.

Worry is interest paid on trouble before it comes due.

9 hatchery and mutt hens

BYC Troubleshooting article -- click here

Reply

Worry is interest paid on trouble before it comes due.

9 hatchery and mutt hens

BYC Troubleshooting article -- click here

Reply
post #4 of 8
I guess it's a bit late now since it was posted yesterday, but I would try to separate the hen and try to get a bunch of charcoal and lots of water in her to dilute and absorb the poison as much as you can before it gets into her system. Vets usually give vitamin k for toxins, maybe try to feed lots of herbs and dark leafy stuff or add supplements to the water for support I'm new to chickens, but that's what I would do with a dog or cat. Any input?
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 

Well so far so good! The hen is still alive this morning and is acting and looking normal.  I definetly will not be eating or selling any eggs for a while. Does anyone know how long we should wait to consume/sell the eggs?  I still need to find out what kind of poison it was and my chicks will be locked up until we can pick up all poison.  IDK but I think my parents are trying to off our ladies, lol! A couple months ago they decided to try to have one of there dogs be a barn dog until she killed 5 hens in one afternoon, ahhhhh!!!  Thanks for all the help.

 

How long do we not eat eggs after this??

 

post #6 of 8
I think chickens must have strong constitutions or something guy at feed store said his chickens often get the baits, just turns the yolks whatever colour the poison is but he's never lost a chook yet. He just doesn't eat the eggs with coloured yolks.

Crazy!!

Aussie Mum to two pet quality sizzles -  Captain and Al

our neurotic Partridge Silkie hen Penny

and our newest additions, some Salmon Favorelle girls, Tuppence, Kernal, Windry & Carl

Reply

Aussie Mum to two pet quality sizzles -  Captain and Al

our neurotic Partridge Silkie hen Penny

and our newest additions, some Salmon Favorelle girls, Tuppence, Kernal, Windry & Carl

Reply
post #7 of 8

If the chicken did not eat the stomach contents of the mice/rats then she should be OK... normally the chicken would have to ingest the poisoned grain ingested  from the stomach of the victim... we use poison here in the deep rat/mice holes that the chickens have no access to and we have never lost a chicken via eating a dead/dying mouse/rat that has eaten poisoned grain.

 

Maybe lucky? Hope all is well with yours!

 

Suzie

A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future and accepts you today the way you are.

 

"Maman" ( my Avatar ) RIP my beloved died 8th February 2014...my heart is broken

Reply

A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future and accepts you today the way you are.

 

"Maman" ( my Avatar ) RIP my beloved died 8th February 2014...my heart is broken

Reply
post #8 of 8

i have a mouse problem as well i saw on a post,use a bucket and tie a soup can in the middle of opening[ like across ] smired the can  with peanut butter,put water in bucket about 1/4  .put a tiny little board that runs up the side of the bucket mice reach for the peanutbutter fall in an no more mousy problem i havent tried this and it should be on out side of coop,dont want chickens to fall


Edited by turkey lover - 3/18/13 at 7:53pm

learning in utah

Reply

learning in utah

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home