(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I have raised chickens off and on for many years but mainly the ones that came from the hatchery that I would pick up from the local feed store. Now that my son is in 4H, I am getting back into chickens (well he is...he is excited about this adventure) and realizing that he needs better quality birds.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have 12 chickens and 6 chicks.
(3) What breeds do you have?
We have Bantam Cochin in buff, blue and black, Silkies in blue, Silver Seabrights, some Ameracauna chicks. I am looking for Jersey Giants (without much luck).
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
A friend referred me and it also comes up almost every time I do a search :)
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I am a youth leader at our church (working with teenagers), I am a 4H leader to a fairly large club (members raise sheep, goats, pigs, beef, rabbits, poultry, cavies and then various static exhibits), I have always enjoyed raising animals. We currently have rabbits, sheep, chickens, ducks and guineas.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My husband and I have three children. All of the kids have a love for raising animals and enjoy their projects. It is fun to do this with them. My son is the oldest and a huge help to me with all the animals. He is also the first one to be in 4H (my middle daughter is in Cloverbuds).