With more rain predicted to fall here in the next 72 hours than we've had here the past 3 months from hurricane Isaac it has been long past due for more progress on the Palace.I added several shelters in outside pens today.Mainly scraps of left over metal siding nailed to the board across the top of the pens sight blocking metal sides so they can get under something if we do get the 7" of rain predicted.
My main focus after completing the shelters for the BSSP,IB,Purples,MBS was then to start building pens inside the new building we finished.It is a 24x30 all metal homemade pole type structure built on one side of the existing old corncrib.There are early pics of this in the thread when we still had to add the sheet metal to the roof,,it's now about 95% completed. I am working on making 2 inside pens for the outside runs adjacent to this side of the building.My Bronze and Opal B/S pens will be first and after completed I'm going to add my 1 yr old Opal and Opal pied hens with my 3 existing Opals b/s birds.
I have two poles set about 9' apart directly in the center of the building attached to and helping support the peak of the roof.Naturally it would be easier to just split the building down the center but after a lot of looking,doing other things and thinking about this,I've decided to make all the inside pens on the inside east half of the building 8x8 pens.I will have 3 pens on this side when done leaving me a 6' entry door to haul in feed,ect. The pens constructed on the west side of the inside of this building will be 1) 1 pen will be 16x8 and the remaining 3 west inside pens will each be 8x12 feet,,leaving me a walkway about 3 1/2' wide off to one side in the middle.Thie will give me 7 inside pens and leave me one space open that will be 6x8 to store feed,ect.
I got two interior walls done this afternoon but will need to tack 2x4" welded wire fence up to the roof. I'm using 3/8" OSB 4X8' sheets as the pen walls,coming off the top of them with the wire to the inside roo.I will have to make entry doors into each pen as well which really eats up time.I hope by tomorrow afternoon I have at least the Opal B/S and Bronze inside pens completed.
When we set the roof rafters up they are toenailed to a 2x4 and 2x6" boards that spans across the tops of the 4x4 posts used as the wall.The ratfers are 2x6 so there was a 6" air gap that needed to be filled.This cutting and measuring took a long time on just the two pens I'm working on but things will move along tomorrow.Since this is a Pic Heavy thread the camera will be snapping away to prove the progress made.And when the Bronze and Opals are allowed to come inside for the first time,that will be a Kodak moment as well.