BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Random Ramblings › Obama is close to being Impeached
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Obama is close to being Impeached - Page 11  

post #101 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHRanch View Post



Well I am not arguing one way or another pro or against profiling.  All I am saying is that profiling skews the statistics that so many point to as evidence of higher rates of "black criminality".  You just can't accept the numbers about the high rates of black arrests/etc., without considering how profiling makes those %'s appear.  My white 80 year old grandmother flys quite a bit, and she always gets searched and questioned because her replaced knee sets off the metal detectors.  Maybe we should consider profiling when it makes sense.  In the case of criminal profiling in the larger world, it makes no sense to fixate on one racial group when we know all racial groups are committing crimes (most likely at similar rates based on their socio-economic class, etc)   I mean, isn't the TSA screening a joke, anyways?  They don't really pay that much attention to whats in checked luggage and pulling out random old ladies makes no sense...  But pulling random middle easterners out isn't helpful either because its inefficient - there are tons of middle eastern people, but only a certain type is the problem.  An another thing, we have had terrorist problems with  non-middle eastern people just about as often as often trying to blow up planes.  Usually they are young men.  Maybe profiling young men would make more sense. hu.gif

Old ladies and old men can carry bombs too,..
I'm very thankful that they pull your grandmother out of line and check her when the metal detectors go off.
They are just doing their job and i'm THANKFUL for it.

As for racial/criminal profiling,.. i think it has its purpose,..

I prefer an ugly truth to a pretty lie. If someone is telling me the truth that is when i will give my heart. ~ Jack Nicholson 

Look! A ladder!! Maybe it leads to heaven, or a sandwich... 

I prefer an ugly truth to a pretty lie. If someone is telling me the truth that is when i will give my heart. ~ Jack Nicholson 

Look! A ladder!! Maybe it leads to heaven, or a sandwich... 

post #102 of 135


The rest of the study material is in the link.  I just posted this much for sake of reader boredom.

 

I cannot argue with personal experience unlike some on this thread. If you have witnessed what you say then I have no way to refute that.

 

I don't think you are wrong by the way.

 

My wife's cousin is a principal in Point Hope , AK (?)  and it is an Eskimo village.  Would pulling over the handful of white people that live there be profiling if the cop was an Eskimo?  The jail is full of Eskimos.

 

A friend just took a job in  Deer Lodge, Montana prison he said the population is mostly Indians.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHRanch View Post

that article actually has no information that contradicts what I said.  Read it carefully, it only suggests that you could compare the stats from a large survey with arrest rates to see if blacks were being unfairly targeted or not.  I will also add that I do personally know that blacks are unfairly targeted based on personal experience over the past 20 years.  A great number of my friends and family are black and it is common for them to be surveyed, questioned and otherwise profiled.  Interestingly, this only happens to me, when I am with a black friend or relative.  As  a white person, I go about my business unquestioned and am not the subject of suspicion.  I could much more easily get away with criminal behavior ranging from traffic violations to theft because the cops ignore me.  They  profile blacks, and give me the freedom to commit crimes.  You know, if i can find it, I will post a study in which police were made to stop cars randomly - guess what happened? They arrested a higher overall % of criminals of all races due to not profiling.  Basically, profiling allows criminals to get away. 



 


Edited by chickened - 3/14/12 at 8:07pm
post #103 of 135

If any and all profiling makes me and others safer in society then I have no problem with any of it.  A tsa agent feeling me up is the least of my privacy complaints.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhen View Post


Old ladies and old men can carry bombs too,..
I'm very thankful that they pull your grandmother out of line and check her when the metal detectors go off.
They are just doing their job and i'm THANKFUL for it.
As for racial/criminal profiling,.. i think it has its purpose,..


 

post #104 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickened View Post


The rest of the study material is in the link.  I just posted this much for sake of reader boredom.

 

I cannot argue with personal experience unlike some on this thread. If you have witnessed what you say then I have no way to refute that.

 

I don't think you are wrong by the way.

 

My wife's cousin is a principal in Point Hope , AK (?)  and it is an Eskimo village.  Would pulling over the handful of white people that live there be profiling if the cop was an Eskimo?  The jail is full of Eskimos.

 

A friend just took a job in  Deer Lodge, Montana prison he said the population is mostly Indians.
 



 


Of course - it doesn't matter what color the profiler is, profiling is an action.  If a martian was a cop and was profiling, it would still be profiling. 

 

I have: Bantam Naked Necks, Barred Bearded Olive Eggers, Mini Cheviot Sheep, Mini Rex, Jersey Wooly & Lionhead Rabbits

Selling Locally: Mini Cheviot Lambs, Mini Rex, Jersey Wooly & Lionhead Baby Bunnies

 

Re-homing: (free to BYC'rs) Mini Rex Rabbits: Black Otter Sr. Buck, Broken Castor Doe

Swaps: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/rhranchs-member-page

Contact: byhookorbycrookfarm@yahoo.com

I have: Bantam Naked Necks, Barred Bearded Olive Eggers, Mini Cheviot Sheep, Mini Rex, Jersey Wooly & Lionhead Rabbits

Selling Locally: Mini Cheviot Lambs, Mini Rex, Jersey Wooly & Lionhead Baby Bunnies

 

Re-homing: (free to BYC'rs) Mini Rex Rabbits: Black Otter Sr. Buck, Broken Castor Doe

Swaps: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/rhranchs-member-page

Contact: byhookorbycrookfarm@yahoo.com

post #105 of 135

Time to shut this thread down.
 

 

Edited by Mahonri - 3/14/12 at 9:59pm

Former keeper of hens, life isn't much fun without chickens... but

 

"With God, ALL things are possible."

Former keeper of hens, life isn't much fun without chickens... but

 

"With God, ALL things are possible."

post #106 of 135


So what happen to "racial" profiling? I think a bigger problem than profiling is when people have to make an issue out of everything a cop does to enforce the law to make it more difficult for them as if somehow doing that will make us safer.  As stated in the article I posted there are still other things that need be done before someone is wrongfully imprisoned or charged.  Some people are offended by having to stop for a cop and give thier info to them.  It just seems a minor thing for the benefit to society.  If a white man 200lbs with grey hair robbed a bank driving a white pickup and I was in the area I would not be surprised if I got pulled over.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHRanch View Post


Of course - it doesn't matter what color the profiler is, profiling is an action.  If a martian was a cop and was profiling, it would still be profiling. 

 



 

post #107 of 135

So is going to war without Congressional approval a white collar crime or are they just profiling ?

 

 

                                                           hu.gif 

       improvise adapt and overcome     

       improvise adapt and overcome     

post #108 of 135

Profiling is a long established procedure. My father was stopped by a plain clothes policeman in London, in the 1950s because he was carrying a tool bag. He was made to unpack it on the pavement in full view of the passing crowds. He explained that he was a telephone engineer on his way to a job, and gave the contact details of his supervising officer. He than demanded to know why the policeman was not stopping the Rolls Royces and asking their occupants to open their bags. He claimed it was a clear case of discrimination because he was a working man and they were gentlemen of leisure. Not racism but classism in those days.

 

Clearly, when looking for housebreakers you look for someone with a set of tools. Profiling has it's place but criminals come in all shapes and sizes. An investigation over the last few years has said that the Metropolitan Police are 'Institutionally Racist'. This is because among the rank and file, although there may be no open racism, there is an expectation that certain racial groups behave in certain ways. This has in turn led to the over use of the stop and search powers amongst young black men for example. It is right that it is investigated and challenged, and not just swept under the carpet for fear of upsetting the status quo. This is not where we want to be in the twenty first century.  Racial and religious discrimination is evil and as far as I am aware is in itself a crime. No place for it anywhere in a civilised society. 

post #109 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhen View Post

Old ladies and old men can carry bombs too,..
I'm very thankful that they pull your grandmother out of line and check her when the metal detectors go off.
They are just doing their job and i'm THANKFUL for it.
As for racial/criminal profiling,.. i think it has its purpose,..

Yes, I am a grandma and yes, I got checked. But the metal detector did not go off. They simply had to do that to someone and I got chosen because then they could say there weren't using racial profiling. I suppose. This was just after 9/11. I found it odd that I was the one chosen both times when it was clearly not grey haired white people that were under suspicion at the time. (at that time they used portable wands, not "feel ups" lol)

Lay down with dogs and you get up with fleas.


Love those Orps!

Lay down with dogs and you get up with fleas.


Love those Orps!

post #110 of 135



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickened View Post

If any and all profiling makes me and others safer in society then I have no problem with any of it.  A tsa agent feeling me up is the least of my privacy com



 

Until environwackos get permission to start arresting people with chainsaws, just because they might be loggers.

 

 


Edited by Royd - 3/15/12 at 5:04am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Random Ramblings
This thread is locked  
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Random Ramblings › Obama is close to being Impeached