BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Random Ramblings › Is it just me? Have we lost a lot of members? Members posting differently?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is it just me? Have we lost a lot of members? Members posting differently? - Page 4

post #31 of 91

It's probably a combination of things; some people get tired of the site and some of the 'stuff' that goes on, some people get all caught up in new endeavors,  and some people just get busy and  involved in their real lives.  Sometimes it's good to take a break, them come back refreshed. yippiechickie.gif

 

I do have a question, though; how the heck do you unsubscribe to a thread on this new format???


Edited by Kansaseq - 3/15/12 at 7:58pm

                     Starting fresh: BBS Marans,Dellies, SS, Lav Amer, and Welsummers                               
                                 www.etsy.com/shop/PrairieWolfCabin                                         
                        Dog is my copilot, horse is my passion, chicken lays my breakfast!

   ...

Reply

                     Starting fresh: BBS Marans,Dellies, SS, Lav Amer, and Welsummers                               
                                 www.etsy.com/shop/PrairieWolfCabin                                         
                        Dog is my copilot, horse is my passion, chicken lays my breakfast!

   ...

Reply
post #32 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbil View Post


Oh!
Thank you, I would have just kept assuming they no longer existed. th.giflol.png



You're welcome. I hunted those things done during the sandbox, so I'd know where they were.

 

Learn About The Egg Train!   Egg Train State Coordinators  Join The Egg Train
Wife of Bill Riley 2/4/49-7/12/10 Save a spot for me!         Need hatching eggs?
Reply
Learn About The Egg Train!   Egg Train State Coordinators  Join The Egg Train
Wife of Bill Riley 2/4/49-7/12/10 Save a spot for me!         Need hatching eggs?
Reply
post #33 of 91
Kansaseq - I've never tried it, but I think it has something to do with the "Subscriptions" link under your messages button. I was never subscribed to any threads to begin with, so it wasn't really a problem for me.

As for the original topic of the thread, there are a lot of people I miss, who just don't have the time to post as much on the forums anymore. I don't know an awful lot about chickens, so if I give advice I stick with the simple things that I have a little experience with.
In the 19th century, Britain taught us how to produce. In the twentieth, the US taught us how to consume. If China is to lead the world in the 21st century, it must teach us how to sustain.

- Jonathan Watts (When a Billion Chinese Jump)
Reply
In the 19th century, Britain taught us how to produce. In the twentieth, the US taught us how to consume. If China is to lead the world in the 21st century, it must teach us how to sustain.

- Jonathan Watts (When a Billion Chinese Jump)
Reply
post #34 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansaseq View PostI do have a question, though; how the heck do you unsubscribe to a thread on this new format???

You've hit on one of my pet peeves about the "new and improved" BYC. Go to the top of the page. On the right-hand side, just to the immediate left of your name you'll see "Subscriptions". Click that. Find the thread that you want to unsubscribe and move your cursor over that area. More text will appear including a small, red X. Click the X. A popup dialog box will appear asking if you really want to unsubscribe. Scream angrily, "Well of course I do you stupid program! Why do you think I went to all the trouble to navigate here, find this particular subscription, and clicked the X? It's not like I'm releasing a virus that will turn everyone into zombies! I can easily change my mind late on and resubscribe!" Decisively click the button that tells the program that you do indeed want to unsubscribe just to make it happy, and you're done. I suppose we ought to be thankful that we aren't than asked to fill out a questionnaire telling why we're unsubscribing from that particular topic. Whoops, I shouldn't have said that.

duc.gif

OldGuy43

When evaluating data one should always consider the source and remember, no one wants to make illegal that which he wants to do.

 

Rights are not gifts from the government.

Reply

OldGuy43

When evaluating data one should always consider the source and remember, no one wants to make illegal that which he wants to do.

 

Rights are not gifts from the government.

Reply
post #35 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy43 View Post

You've hit on one of my pet peeves about the "new and improved" BYC. Go to the top of the page. On the right-hand side, just to the immediate left of your name you'll see "Subscriptions". Click that. Find the thread that you want to unsubscribe and move your cursor over that area. More text will appear including a small, red X. Click the X. A popup dialog box will appear asking if you really want to unsubscribe. Scream angrily, "Well of course I do you stupid program! Why do you think I went to all the trouble to navigate here, find this particular subscription, and clicked the X? It's not like I'm releasing a virus that will turn everyone into zombies! I can easily change my mind late on and resubscribe!" Decisively click the button that tells the program that you do indeed want to unsubscribe just to make it happy, and you're done. I suppose we ought to be thankful that we aren't than asked to fill out a questionnaire telling why we're unsubscribing from that particular topic. Whoops, I shouldn't have said that.

duc.gif



Too late to edit it now. lau.gif

 

Learn About The Egg Train!   Egg Train State Coordinators  Join The Egg Train
Wife of Bill Riley 2/4/49-7/12/10 Save a spot for me!         Need hatching eggs?
Reply
Learn About The Egg Train!   Egg Train State Coordinators  Join The Egg Train
Wife of Bill Riley 2/4/49-7/12/10 Save a spot for me!         Need hatching eggs?
Reply
post #36 of 91

I have noticed that some replies to beginners questions are quite rude and off putting. I think we all need to remember that we were all new to poultry keeping once and no matter how obvious an answer is to us, people would not ask the question if they knew the answer. A bit more tolerance is called for I think.

post #37 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksacres View Post

I also want to say that I find the new layout much more difficult to navigate/follow posts/load.  I do understand the need for the change, and I also believe that it was in the best interest of BYC, but that doesn't make it any more user-friendly.


This is it for me.  I used to be on here daily.  Now I come MAYBE once a week.  Eventually I probably won't come at all.  One of my favorite posters hasn't been on since November and that is a big factor too--missing familiar folks who actually knew what they were talking about.

 

Rusty

 

Rusty Hills Farm ... home of  AQHA  A Rusty Zipper and Buff Plymouth Rocks.

"Y'know the worst part about gettin' old? It's gettin' old!" Ben Johnson (My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys)

Reply

Rusty Hills Farm ... home of  AQHA  A Rusty Zipper and Buff Plymouth Rocks.

"Y'know the worst part about gettin' old? It's gettin' old!" Ben Johnson (My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys)

Reply
post #38 of 91

I think there are a lot of reasons why things are running differently. Personally I love the my profile button because I can easily see any new posts on my previous topics. I think that this causes me to be on the same threads longer because I can remember what I've said and where I am in the thread. This time of year I used to hibernate from the forum to keep the chicken math away, but now that everything is so separate, I can avoid the "enabler" threads. I also have noticed he lack of answers on new posts. While I don't consider myself an expert by any means in relation to the numerous more knowledgeable members on BYC. I do feel qualified to answer beginning questions. If I don't know the answer I will clearly state that I am just guessing and try to keep to post going or redirect. As long as it is done in a positive manner I am more than fine with being corrected.

Opera/ Music Education Student by trade, Chicken lover by choice 

 

1 Dog (Prince), 1 cat (Shadow), 2 Holland Lops (Munchkin and Muffin), 9Hens: 2 RIR (Lilly and Ruby), 1 RSL (Ginny), 2 BSL (Opal and Bellatrix), 1 EE (Tizzy) 1 BR (Dina)  1 LB (Rowena), 1 Partridge silkie (Godric) and 1LB Rooster (Sephiroth). 7 Bantam Chicks: 2 White Silkies (Celestia and Namine), 1 Buff Silkie (Aria), 1 EE...

Reply

Opera/ Music Education Student by trade, Chicken lover by choice 

 

1 Dog (Prince), 1 cat (Shadow), 2 Holland Lops (Munchkin and Muffin), 9Hens: 2 RIR (Lilly and Ruby), 1 RSL (Ginny), 2 BSL (Opal and Bellatrix), 1 EE (Tizzy) 1 BR (Dina)  1 LB (Rowena), 1 Partridge silkie (Godric) and 1LB Rooster (Sephiroth). 7 Bantam Chicks: 2 White Silkies (Celestia and Namine), 1 Buff Silkie (Aria), 1 EE...

Reply
post #39 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BantamoftheOpera View Post

I think there are a lot of reasons why things are running differently. Personally I love the my profile button because I can easily see any new posts on my previous topics. I think that this causes me to be on the same threads longer because I can remember what I've said and where I am in the thread. This time of year I used to hibernate from the forum to keep the chicken math away, but now that everything is so separate, I can avoid the "enabler" threads. I also have noticed he lack of answers on new posts. While I don't consider myself an expert by any means in relation to the numerous more knowledgeable members on BYC. I do feel qualified to answer beginning questions. If I don't know the answer I will clearly state that I am just guessing and try to keep to post going or redirect. As long as it is done in a positive manner I am more than fine with being corrected.



Yeah that profile page is dangerous. I do the exact same thing. Once in a while I will even click more and see where I left off somewhere. Bad thing about that is I answer and then go bad to the threads I visit most and post so they are right back on top. LOL

 

BTW did you join Mahonri's Easter hatch??????  haha

 

There's no way to get rid of enablers on BYC!

 

Learn About The Egg Train!   Egg Train State Coordinators  Join The Egg Train
Wife of Bill Riley 2/4/49-7/12/10 Save a spot for me!         Need hatching eggs?
Reply
Learn About The Egg Train!   Egg Train State Coordinators  Join The Egg Train
Wife of Bill Riley 2/4/49-7/12/10 Save a spot for me!         Need hatching eggs?
Reply
post #40 of 91
I have noticed a decrease in members posting and questions being answered. I hope member posting increases soon. fl.gif
Edited by kuntrygirl - 3/16/12 at 7:23am
NPIP Certified -115 Chickens, 19 Geese, 19 BR Turkeys, 7 Rabbits, 120 Muscovy Ducks , 9 Guineas, 9 Peafowl, 8 sheep, 1 Goat and currently have 100 broilers to be processed March 2014.  And it's broody/hatching season all over again for 2014.
Reply
NPIP Certified -115 Chickens, 19 Geese, 19 BR Turkeys, 7 Rabbits, 120 Muscovy Ducks , 9 Guineas, 9 Peafowl, 8 sheep, 1 Goat and currently have 100 broilers to be processed March 2014.  And it's broody/hatching season all over again for 2014.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Random Ramblings
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Random Ramblings › Is it just me? Have we lost a lot of members? Members posting differently?