First, remember that the hair colors we used were rougher on our hair than they are now. This may help a lot.
you need: a fat jar of mayo (or miracle whip) and a grocery bag (plastic) and a big fuzzy towel. A few good clips can be helpfull. Plan a min. of 2 hours alone for this.
1. goop your hair with the mayo (yea, all of it)
2. Put the plastic bag over your head, and use it to keep the mayo on your hair. I twist it up on top and clip at forhead
3. wrap up towl over bag over mayo over hair. This is an iinsulator - hold in the body heat that warms the mayo and helps your hair.
4. go watch babe, or some other 2 hour movie.
5. wash your hair. Its gonna be greasy feeling, but give it a few hours before you wash again.
I do this when I have a day alone, first thing in the morning. Then, chill a few hours. Then go wash hair with one shamppoo only. Then I comb it down, and let it hang out while I clean house or etc. After a few more hours, I go shampoo twice, and condition. The next day your hair will be amazingly soft and supple again. Basically, it loves long oil soaks for over treatment. If you can, I'd treat, and not shampoo the second (more thorough time) until the next morning. Toss a towel over your pillow, and let it soak in a bit longer. (Do the first shampoo though...maybe conditioin in evening, byc awhile, wash once, byc till kinda dry, then shower and wash 2x in morning. USE CONDITIONER TOO. )