BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Raising Baby Chicks › Do chicks need the heat lamp constantly?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do chicks need the heat lamp constantly?

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 

How long will my baby chicks need the heat lamp - and does it need to be on 24/7?

post #2 of 46

Yes leave it on 24/7. Start at 95 degrees the first week and lower the temp by 5 degree each week until they are to about 70 degrees.  Depending on your climate and where they will be housed will depend how long you keep the heat lamp on.

 

 

 

                                             

Reply

 

 

 

                                             

Reply
post #3 of 46

I keep my lamp on 24/7

Quote:
"... the avenging arm of God will strike the wicked, and in his mighty power he will punish their pride and presumption. God will employ the powers of hell for the extermination of these impious and heretical persons who desire to overthrow the Church and destroy it's foundation. .... Innumerable legions of demons shall overrun the earth and shall execute the orders of Divine Justice......
Reply
Quote:
"... the avenging arm of God will strike the wicked, and in his mighty power he will punish their pride and presumption. God will employ the powers of hell for the extermination of these impious and heretical persons who desire to overthrow the Church and destroy it's foundation. .... Innumerable legions of demons shall overrun the earth and shall execute the orders of Divine Justice......
Reply
post #4 of 46
Thread Starter 

I don't think my lamp is adjustable (250w bulb and a cover) but I do have them in a tub large enough that they can move away from the heat if they like. My house is generally kept at 70 deg F during the summer.

post #5 of 46

So I have no problem keeping the lamp on my chicks.  I am however curious.  Some barnyard chicks are outside from day one.  How do they thrive so well if they need to be 95 degrees?

Life is short, so build the sand caslte, play in the tree fort, and smile at everyone you pass.
Reply
Life is short, so build the sand caslte, play in the tree fort, and smile at everyone you pass.
Reply
post #6 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbagePaw View Post

I don't think my lamp is adjustable (250w bulb and a cover) but I do have them in a tub large enough that they can move away from the heat if they like. My house is generally kept at 70 deg F during the summer.



Just raise and lower the lamp to adjust the temp.  The chicks will be roughly 4 or 5 wks old before 70 degrees will be a safe temp for them.

Suburban homesteader and wife to 1 amazingly patient man, mom of 2 awesome eclectic homeschoolers, 2 spoiled jack russell chihuahuas, 2 fat russian blue mixes, 1 white ee, and 1 golden comet.

Reply

Suburban homesteader and wife to 1 amazingly patient man, mom of 2 awesome eclectic homeschoolers, 2 spoiled jack russell chihuahuas, 2 fat russian blue mixes, 1 white ee, and 1 golden comet.

Reply
post #7 of 46

I don't check the temperature of my heat lamp, but I do keep it on 24/7 They're in a brooder pen big enough that they can get away from the heat if they want to during the day. My chicken  coop is an 8'x16' shed. If they crowd under the lamp, I know it's too cold for them. Last night was down in the 30's and when I checked on them they were kind of on the edges of the light, but not directly beneath. As far as hen-raised chicks,they stay warm when they're with the hen because they can crawl underneath her when they get cold. The 95* for people-raised chicks is more of a reccomendation than a hard and fast rule.

Chickens off and on for 25+ years and still learning.

Reply

Chickens off and on for 25+ years and still learning.

Reply
post #8 of 46
Thread Starter 

I would assume those chicks still have the hen around and she keeps them warm when they settle.

post #9 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by playhousechickens View Post

So I have no problem keeping the lamp on my chicks.  I am however curious.  Some barnyard chicks are outside from day one.  How do they thrive so well if they need to be 95 degrees?



They have the momma's body heat.

 

 

 

                                             

Reply

 

 

 

                                             

Reply
post #10 of 46

You do not need to keep chicks as hot as people think. Think about the birds which are raised outside by hens...the wild birds which raise chicks (and must go forage for food) and the fact that chicks outside do not huddle miserably under the broody hen 24/7...they go to her to warm up, not to bake as if they/re going to be Sunday dinner. MANY of us have posted on this board that chicks will be fine outdoors in cool, even cold temps, as long as they have a warm place to go when they are chilly, and as long as they are not wet or in a drafty pen. 

 

Mine went outside at 3 and 4 weeks. It was still getting down to the 40's at night here. They did not die or even get a sniffle. 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Raising Baby Chicks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Raising Baby Chicks › Do chicks need the heat lamp constantly?