BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › General breed discussions & FAQ › Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!! - Page 237

post #2361 of 2427

Check this site out it help's explain what you see in this breed: http://www.brahmacochin.org/poultry-breeding-genetics

May your birds always make you smile. 
Reply
May your birds always make you smile. 
Reply
post #2362 of 2427

Oh man I am so in love and so scared I am not going to be able to keep if a roo. I am so upset this little one has stolen my hart. The day go's as follows. Outside till it gets hot around 11am come into the kitchen were a jungle gym of sorts has become a favorite, while three little dogs watch and wait for living room play time. Excitement for a rice a roni box shaking means afternoon snack time to be followed by a nap then it is back outside again 7 to 9 pm or until pacing back and forth to show it is time for bed, so back inside to garage cage to perch on favorite pillow and mother moose stuffed protector and for a more comfortable sleep a night gown is draped over to cover oh so gently just to have the silkie room mate sing everyone to sleep. So as you can guess I am going to be a mess if this little one starts to crow 😭
Edited by spazy67 - 6/20/16 at 7:21am
post #2363 of 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauravonsmurf View Post
 

Blue gene is not recessive, two doses of Blues gives you splash, 1 Blue gene + 1 Black gene gives you a Blue bird. This EE hen has Blue where the black should be on the lacing so she is caring both genes plus tons of other color genetics... 

 

 

 So Blue carrier + Black bird gets you Blue & Blacks, but a Blue + a Blue gives you black, blues and splash birds. :) That's is about all I know. 

Sounds good to me!  Genetics just confuses me, esp. with so many colors out there. :th

post #2364 of 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazy67 View Post


Oh man I am so in love and so scared I am not going to be able to keep if a roo. I am so upset this little one has stolen my hart. The day go's as follows. Outside till it gets hot around 11am come into the kitchen were a jungle gym of sorts has become a favorite, while three little dogs watch and wait for living room play time. Excitement for a rice a roni box shaking means afternoon snack time to be followed by a nap then it is back outside again 7 to 9 pm or until pacing back and forth to show it is time for bed, so back inside to garage cage to perch on favorite pillow and mother moose stuffed protector and for a more comfortable sleep a night gown is draped over to cover oh so gently just to have the silkie room mate sing everyone to sleep. So as you can guess I am going to be a mess if this little one starts to crow 😭

 

How old?  Also, it appears the beak is a bit on the long side, although it could just be the picture angle.  You may need to watch that and possibly file it down a bit to help it eat.  
post #2365 of 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin Fluff View Post

Oh wow I will look at the beak but he she is about 3mo old
post #2366 of 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazy67 View Post

Oh wow I will look at the beak but he she is about 3mo old
The crown looks so red and it is not at all more light beige
Edited by spazy67 - 6/20/16 at 4:44pm
post #2367 of 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin Fluff View Post
 

Sounds good to me!  Genetics just confuses me, esp. with so many colors out there. :th

Well I am stil learning and I forget things or mix them up still... so websites to help breeders are a god send for us all. Oh and different breeds use different terms for the same colors! SO there is tons of jargon to soak up... and get utterly confused by. So don't feel bad, I'm right there with going :barnie

May your birds always make you smile. 
Reply
May your birds always make you smile. 
Reply
post #2368 of 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazy67 View Post


The crown looks so red and it is not at all more light beige

I hope your love bug there is a girl. 

May your birds always make you smile. 
Reply
May your birds always make you smile. 
Reply
post #2369 of 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazy67 View Post


Oh wow I will look at the beak but he she is about 3mo old

Well, this is my first round with a batch of Cochins but in my experience with other breeds, the girls don't go red until they are close to point of lay.  That varies by breed but I think I remember reading the average is 24 weeks.  

 

I still can't see the beak very well in the pic but if the top beak extends over and below the bottom beak, some trimming might be in order.  I had a silkie that had the beak grow like that.  I've heard it called hook or parrot beak.  For some reason it over grows, especially as the bird is maturing.  It slowed down on mine when she was older but she still needed it filed down occasionally.

post #2370 of 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin Fluff View Post

Well, this is my first round with a batch of Cochins but in my experience with other breeds, the girls don't go red until they are close to point of lay.  That varies by breed but I think I remember reading the average is 24 weeks.  

I still can't see the beak very well in the pic but if the top beak extends over and below the bottom beak, some trimming might be in order.  I had a silkie that had the beak grow like that.  I've heard it called hook or parrot beak.  For some reason it over grows, especially as the bird is maturing.  It slowed down on mine when she was older but she still needed it filed down occasionally.
Thank you so much I will wait till I have back up he 😵 is sweet but not to excited about gooming lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General breed discussions & FAQ
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › General breed discussions & FAQ › Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!