I was checking my girls over tonight and found some mites and eggs on one gal so I thought I best bathe her and then dust her. I thought maybe that is why my LO was loosing weight and not very active. I did find a mite on her. It is hard to go through all her fluff. Decided just to go ahead and bathe her bottom like I did prior. I decided maybe I should bathe her whole body and when I got to her neck I found this tumor or abscess. I am stumped as I have checked her neck not too long ago and never saw this. ( I feel like a bad chicken mama- I told her I was sorry and I was seeking help) No wonder she has been feeling poorly.
I appreciate any expertise or advice from anyone. Thank you.
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Iris is an 11 month old Lavender Orpington and weighs about 3 lbs.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She has been lethargic and naps quite a bit.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
A couple of weeks.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I do not know.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She has been eating her layer crumbles and water. Also, she and the girls get a "mixed green salad and BOSS"
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal to loose but not runny.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
What can I do now, if anything, for her as I will call my vet in the morning.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
The coop has a sand floor over linoleum that gets scooped every morning. The nest boxes are excelsior nesting material.
Edited by Mama Hen Chris - 4/10/12 at 7:34pm