Originally Posted by Arielle
I realized when I wrote my response that egg cleaning is a hot topic. Hence I started with "in my opinion" LOL
I think you have hit on the sanitizer to use. Ozine is a very strong and very safe sanitizer ; if I remember it is an oxidizer and bacteria and molds can't withstand the effects: damage to their cellular walls. Spores I'm not so sure about.
THe 90-100% hatch rates attest to the effectiveness of the oxine. Clearly there is value in killing the bacteria.
lol.. and that's why I said 'to each his own"
but for the record.. I LOVE Oxine.. and yes it does kill the spores too.. it's safe to use on eggs during incubation as well as in the reservoirs of the bator.. AND it's also safe to use on live birds
if you google you can find a bunch of info on it...
Basically though I use the Oxine WITHOUT the citric acid "activation crystals".. since using the crystals makes it unsafe to breathe and it isn't really recommended to use it for animal health once the crystals have been added...
you may find this interesting.. from http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm
"Oxine is known to kill every bacteria, virus, and mold it has ever been tested against and is 200 times more effective than chlorine bleach. But one of the most impressive things about Oxine for me is that it does it with such relative safety (when used according to label instructions). Environmentally speaking, Oxine actually biodegrades to ordinary table salt. And it is so safe to use on livestock that it is actually approved for use in the drinking water of ‘organically grown’ animals. I use it myself at the rate of 7-15 drops per gallon of water in our stock tank of drinking water for our own sheep. It keeps the water impressively clear and algae free, while keeping down the biofilm ‘slime’ that tends to develop on the sides of the tank"