I finally am back to some chickens. I grew up on a farm in England and we always had chickens, bantams, geese (the best guard "dogs").
I found someone who had to move and needed to get rid of their coop, run and 5 birds. They are all about 14 months old and I have 2 easter eggers, a copper Marans, a Silkie and another that I think might be a red cross (but not sure about that). The kids love going out in the morning letting them out, feeding them and checking for eggs. So far in 13 days we have had 27 eggs (and most of those have come from the EEs and the unidentified one). The silkie is moulting (and at the bottom of the order) so the poor thing is looking very sorry for herself. The Marans is the boss lady and has only deemed to give us 1 egg so far. They are all really skittish (have not been handled very much) so I am slowly trying to get them more familiar with people and getting handled. They will finally eat from my hand (all except one) and one will let me pick her up.
Now my dilemma is that I ordered chicks (before I found the insta-setup) and I have to decide whether to cancel, or go ahead and raise them. I would like a couple more (Plymouth Barred Rock and a light Brahma) but then I have to worry about introducing the pullets into the older bird flock. The chicks wouldn't arrive until the end of June anyway so I have a bit of time to decide.
Looking forward to getting back to chickens.