1) What type of bird , age and weight: Delaware, 2-3 months, not sure on weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly: not able to walk
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 15 minutes
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Dog had her cornered
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Irrelevant
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. None yet
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Just rest
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Whatever is best for her.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Raised coop, run enclosed with chicken wire.
The above questionairre didn't seem all that relevant, but I tried to answer anyway.
These types of emergencies tend to happen on off hours when the vet is closed, don't they?
Long story short, our dog got to one of our chickens. When I got there, he had her cornered. She was laying down and he was hovering over her (it happened so fast I don't remember if he was barking, nudging, trying to bite, etc). When I got him, pulled him out and got to her, she was still laying down. I picked her up and we calmed her for several minutes. We checked for any wounds and didn't see any.
We gently set her down and she flaps her wings and tries to walk, but her feet don't work. One seems like it MIGHT have a little strength, but the other seems to be completely unusable. She has not been showing any obvious signs of pain (do chickens show signs of pain?) I have moved the legs and felt around for any obvious broken bones or fractures, but couldn't feel anything.
She is panting a little (probably from shock, as this just happened less than 15 minutes ago) and we put her by herself in the coop and locked the others out. We're hoping maybe she's still in shock and rest will bring back some mobility.
Does anyone have any advice? We have offered food and water, she is uninterested.
The vet doesn't open until tomorrow at 8am, but I'd love any advice anyone can give until then. I feel so terrible about this and my husband is going over the coop again and again and doing his best to secure it so we don't have a repeat situation..