Yeah have a incubator yeh, ha.
Half the eggs are in the Incy but it's always a worry.
What a shame about the broodies but moving them would no doubt unsettle them. Will you be able to borrow an incubator or will half the eggs waste. Buff rocks are an interesting choice. Did you source the eggs locally? I'm always looking to add new colours to my flock and I don't have any buff. I had toyed with an Orp or two but Rocks would be another option I hadn't considered.
Yes Dave I know you are in Teesdale... your location is displayed on your profile at the side of each post you make... just like mine says Consett Co.Durham.
I'm not into buying and hatching shipped eggs, so was hoping you had got them locally .....too much uncertainty when I can pretty much guarantee a better success rate from local eggs and would rather give a local breeder the trade...Durham Hens will be getting a visit as soon as I have my next broody.
Great to hear the broody has settled to her job again though. Good luck with your hatch.
Can't believe how big the blacktails are already. I rather like the look of the cockerels and I wonder how much meat they will put on. Yes, I think you are right about that pekin being a roo. Shame the Tolbunts aren't quite what you hoped for colour wise but I'm sure with your experience you will be able to improve on that with the next generation.
Yes, lots of riding. We had all 3 out yesterday despite the weather....got caught out in three hail, sleet and rain storms and it really was a bitter driving wind. Lads were hyper, which made it even more challenging but we all got back safe and sound, if a bit damp and cold! Jo brought Jack over again on Wed and I look MeMe out with her and we had a really good ride including jumping over a few logs (MeMe's first attempt at jumping!) and a bit of a gallop afterwards!!! She also went into the river first and although there was some hesitation, the important thing is that she didn't need a lead into it from another horse or a person. And we had several short stretches of canter where she went into it on request rather than falling into it from a fast trot, so I was absolutely delighted. Riding again this afternoon with Helen. Hoping the fun ride is still going to be on, on Mon but the land is very wet and 100+ horses galloping across wet grassland will make a mess of the farmers fields, so may be cancelled if ground doesn't dry up. If it is on, then we will be spending the day tomorrow building and dressing jumps and the horses will get a day off.
Chicks are due to hatch Tue/Wed. Poor Frances has terrible diarrhoea and her broody poops are just liquid splats. Thankfully she is holding it OK so not soiling the nest. I've tried mixing some bio yoghurt into chick crumb for her, but I'm not seeing an improvement.... got any suggestions?
My two older girls with respiratory infections are holding on. I've been daubing them with eucalyptus oil at night and Henrietta, who was the worst, seems to be improving. Anna appears to be having problems swallowing (a big problem for her as she is a gannet) as well as raspy breathing, so I think she may have an infection in her throat. I draw the line at vets and Anti Bs for chickens, so I may need to bite the bullet and euthanize if she doesn't pick up soon. She's still up on the highest roost (6ft) on a night though, so not a gonner yet. A bit of warm weather and sunshine would certainly help her.
Anyway, gotta go ride. Have a good weekend and hope you manage to get Harry out for a ride too.