Progress this weekend was great! The weather has finally started to be much more agreeable, which has helped a lot.
We got a lot done since the last round of pictures I posted: much painting, put up the run, re-made the nest box roof, and put up all the hardware cloth. Last night (in the dark) I put the door to the run on, added the hardware cloth to it and put the latch on which was thing needed to make the whole thing secure. I don't have pictures with all the hardware cloth and the door on, but the last picture is pretty close to where it is at now. We are going to pick up some sand (probably today) to add to the run and put up a couple more trim boards around the henhouse roof. We are also going to mix our own soil/peat/pumice for a lightweight substrate for the green roof that hopefully won't soak up too much water. We are tentatively planning on growing succulents but I will probably throw in a few lettuce seeds to see if we cant make some treats for the ladies :)
I am only working a half day today so when I get home (relax, I'm on morning break! ) we should be able to have it completely done. I am eventually planning on making a coop page with more detail on certain aspects and an extensive 'post-mortem' wherein I review all the mistakes I made so that a future reader may be able to avoid them!
They spent their first night in the coop last night. I did put the heat lamp out there just to be sure our runt salmon faverolles was OK as she is still recovering from a bout of cocci, is much smaller than the rest and is not as feathered out. Though I will probably take the lamp out in the next couple days as her back feathers are finally almost all in.
Enjoy the photos and constructive criticism is welcomed...I like learning from mistakes :)
I decided to throw in a pic of my home-made paint stirrer - four 1.25" dywall screws, one 3" x 1/4" carriage bolt with the head sawn off, two nuts, two 3" pieces of 1x1 and two 8x.75x.5 inch pieces of plywood...works like a charm...
Here is the nest box roof. I used number 4 cedar shakes which I had left over from re-siding a couple wall projections during my roofing project last fall, they are 20 bucks a bundle at home depot and I used no more than a quarter of the bundle. Unfortunately I used the wrong fasteners (I work fast and leave my brain behind too often!) and the shakes had black streaks from the nails after being rained on, so we decided to paint it. A post-paint picture will have to wait though :)
Run framing up and "battens" installed. The walls are just 3/4" plywood but I thought the faux batten look would add a nice touch and I like how it turned out...the run framing was really wobbly at this point which is why the middle one has plywood gussets, the reason only the middle one has them is that I wasn't too impressed with the added stability, it helped, but not much...
The plants on the roof are our initial batch of succulents my wife found growing on a sidewalk on the way to the park with the kids...sidewalks are an economical source of succulents! :)
My shoddy linoleum work!
First time eating at home...
Here is the last picture I took yesterday evening, our RIR led the way down the ramp, the light brahma followed with a jumping/flying escape and the other two required some assistance :) I think I am going to stain the ramp and sprinkle sand on it when the stain is wet to give them some traction, but I might just let them get used to it since the ramp really isn't that steep...time will tell :)
Since I mentioned the gussets on the run framing (middle framing member) above, I should mention that once the 'purlins' were on and the metal roof installed I can hardly move the run framing at all so I won't be adding additional support, it is quite sturdy.
My new babysitters - chickens and a cage! :) high startup costs, but I think it will pay for itself real quick at the going rate of daycare!!
Edited by PDXcluck - 5/7/12 at 7:37am