We have six 2+ week old chicks living in a large dog crate/brooder in our house (2 buff orpington, 2 barred rock, 1 RIR, 1 leghorn).
My husband came home from work to find the cage door open, our 90 pound lab IN the crate (we are still not clear how this happened!) and wet, dead-looking chicks lying akinbo. So scary!
After inspection, it appeared that the chicks were indeed alive but very, very WET as they had been licked and slobbered all over. I put them on my lap and blew them dry with a hairdryer and put them back under the heat lamp, encouraging them to drink some water. We weren't very hopeful about 2 or 3 of them, as they were incredibly weak and limp, yet breathing.
End of story - we woke up the next day to six HEALTHY, dry chicks!!! Unbelievable. My new question is...how do I make them less skittish after such chaotic event? The rocks are pretty brave still, but the others want nothing to do with us anymore.