We found Henny Penny laying in the coop yesterday evening, looking dead. She was breathing, but totally floppy when I took her into the house. We gave her some water with antibiotics with a turkey baster, and she perked up slightly - she had her head lifted. She mostly sits around with her eyes closed, randomly twitching (do they normally twitch slightly in their sleep?). This morning, she stood up and was alert for a few seconds when I put her in the car to take her to work with me. I didn't want to leave her all day. She spent most of the ride laying down with her eyes closed, until she started arching her neck back and swinging her head back and forth with her eyes closed (kinda like Stevie Wonder). She settled down for a minute and then started kicking her legs and flapping her wings for about ten looooong seconds. Then she stayed on her side, her head flopped down, and she again looks dead, minus that she is breathing.
Does anyone know what could be wrong and what I can do to try to help her?
Here are questions I've seen asked before:
1) What type of bird, age and weight? Americana hen, medium size, 2 years old.
2) What is the behavior, exactly? Can't/won't stand, eyes closed, opens eyes when startled, neck/head swaying, major seizures. No eye, nasal, or cloacal discharge. No coughing or sneezing. No lesions or anything abnormal in appearance.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since 1800 EST yesterday (15 hours), potentially longer, as I let the chickens out in the morning without checking inside the coop, and when picking eggs in the evening, found her.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No birds, out of the ducks, turkeys, and chickens that we have, are acting out of the ordinary at all.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma? No, just the usual partial baldness from being one of the roosters' favorite..."friends".
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation? No idea
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all? I have "forcefed" her water w antibiotics via baster and by dipping her beak into a dish. About 12 "sips" total since last night.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal. Vent not clogged. No poop since we took her inside.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Water, quiet, dark.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat by myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it: nothing
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: Same coop we've had for 2 years, pine shavings, straw in nesting boxes. Shavings and straw are same batches used in communal area, duck house, and turkey house.