Last week she started showing all these symptoms so while trying to figure out what it was we gave her yogurt. By the time we got Corid she seemed back to her old self and her poo was back to normal. We decided to treat the girls with Corid anyway just in case. Everything was great. Until two days ago the symptoms started coming back. Tonight she is back to having all the symptoms listed above. Tomorrow will be day #7 and the final day of the Corid.
I am new to all this these are my first girls. Does anyone have any clue what it might be?! I have some Duramycin 10 and some dewormer (no visible signs of worms that I can see), but I don't want to just start throwing a bunch of meds at her.
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others?
-Rhode Island Red, 4 months, not sure about weight but she used to be the biggest but now the others have caught up and have started to surpass her in size.
2) What is the behavior, exactly?
ethargic, has bright yellow runny poop, droopy wings and tail, and acts a little sleepy.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
- about 10 days.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma?
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation?
1. They switched from medicated crumble to un-medicated pellets.
2. They started free ranging in the garden in the evenings
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all>?
see #6 also, corn on the cob and apples every other day.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny?
- bright runny yellow that sticks in her feathers.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
-Corid (on day #6 today)
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I would like to treat myself but am willing to vet her.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
- run is 4' x 16' coop is 4' x 4' bedding in the coop is pine shavings. no bedding in the run, just grass.
Edited by MsPicklebottom - 5/15/12 at 7:53pm