Originally Posted by Matthew3590
The earth gets most of its oxygen from the sea. Trees grow better under the effects of global warming. Either you are confused on the effects of global warming or I am not told the full details.
I hope this is helpful - You are correct Oxygen does come from water but it also comes from our plants and particularly our trees. Oxygen is not the only life giving eliment that our trees and vegitation give to the atmosphere. That is why it is so important to maintain the rain forests and not to destroy trees without good reason.
Atmospheric oxygen is an important part of the Earth's atmosphere and of the conditions that allow for life on Earth. The atmosphere is composed of approximately 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen, with trace amounts of other elements. The air we breathe has atmospheric oxygen in it, but the atmosphere also helps to make a protective envelope for the planet. There are two sources of atmospheric oxygen, but the primary way in which the Earth generates oxygen for the atmosphere is through photosynthesis. Photosynthesis accounts for 98% of the world's atmospheric oxygen, while the breakup of water molecules by ultraviolet radiation composes the other 1-2%.
Oxygen is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gaseous chemical element which appears in great abundance on Earth, trapped by the atmosphere. Many people are familiar with oxygen, because it is a vital component of the respiration process; without oxygen, most organisms will die within minutes. A number of forms of oxygen and oxygen compounds can be found in nature. Oxygen can also be isolated and sold in pure form for an assortment of uses, and was first isolated and identified in 1774.
Today, the atmosphere is about 23% oxygen and the remainder nitrogen. The necessity of oxygen from plants is another reason why we should discourage the destruction of rainforests worldwide, particularly in the Amazon.
Edited by oesdog - 5/30/12 at 3:00am