I don't remember if I ever gave an update, so just for good measure here goes! I tried caponizing 10 or so cockerels this spring, the last half with the help of MaggiesDad. In all, I ended up with 3 solid capons. Unfortunately, 1 completely disappeared with no trace of feathers or anything...he may have wandered off and then been picked up by a predator, 1 was killed by my own dog - apparently he decided to spend the night out on the deck, and 1 is still alive and well.
I did manage to salvage most of the one my dog killed - he had just barely gotten ahold of him when I got out there and only the breast showed any sign of trauma. Nothing like skinning a chicken unexpectedly before you leave for work...
My plan was to have the surviving one for Easter but I'm a little attached to the yard art at the moment so he probably has another month or so of life to enjoy. Also I've recently hatched chicks with plans to hatch a batch every 3 weeks so I'm interested to see how he takes to them. He's pretty skittish so he doesn't tend to pose well for pictures, but here he is yesterday in the yard!
My chicks are a week old tomorrow so I'll be dusting my tools off in a few weeks! I should get a ton of practice this summer!