BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying › How Do You Stop a Hen From Crowing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How Do You Stop a Hen From Crowing?

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 

I have a 17 week old Welsummer pullet that recently started crowing.  Yes she is definitely a she.  I don't think she is the top pullet in the pen.  Her comb is small but red and she has red wattles.  I think she is getting ready to start laying.  Her crow sounds like a rooster crow but not nearly as loud.  However it happens quite often during the day and is annoying and if I can't get her to stop I will have to get rid of her.

post #2 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherland View Post

I have a 17 week old Welsummer pullet that recently started crowing.  Yes she is definitely a she.  I don't think she is the top pullet in the pen.  Her comb is small but red and she has red wattles.  I think she is getting ready to start laying.  Her crow sounds like a rooster crow but not nearly as loud.  However it happens quite often during the day and is annoying and if I can't get her to stop I will have to get rid of her.

hens do not crow, you can say yes its a she, but if SHE is crowing then she is a he LOL maybe you better post a pic of her/he so the experts here can tell you what it is.

post #3 of 30

Actually, some hens Do crow. We had a mutt hen that laid eggs and crowed every morning. She was an only, so that may have had something to do with it.  We got her as an adult from our local humane society (who foolishly told my youngest daughter "If you can catch it, you can keep it" - enough said).

I called the humane society where we got her (had no info for us - maybe she is really a he? - really? roosters lay eggs???)
 

Called Several Vets in the area. The farm vet told us "yes, hens can crow. Try giving her layer pellets as that may help with "rebalancing her hormones. This is only the third crowing hen I have heard of in my entire life." (they didn't)

Called animal control before the neighbors could to explain the situation (they were surprised that our "rooster" laid eggs)

 

Called the neighbors to explain that yes, she is a hen that lays eggs. we don't know why she crows or how to stop it, called animal control, several vets and the humane society and got very little help, but we will try. They didn't believe us either.

She finally stopped crowing when she was taken out overnight by feral cats. She would insist on roosting high up in a large oak tree and we couldn't get her into a pen no matter what we tried. She was a cagey bird for the most part.

 

 

Edited to add: Her crow sounded like the first crow a cockerel makes - a rather gurgly cock a doodle doo. (really more like err erooo)
 


Edited by Captain Cluck - 7/2/12 at 6:21am

One chicken. One duck. I think I need more.
[Plenty of Kids, dogs, cats.
[One loving, soft-hearted husband. I am rich!

Reply

One chicken. One duck. I think I need more.
[Plenty of Kids, dogs, cats.
[One loving, soft-hearted husband. I am rich!

Reply
post #4 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlamaria View Post

hens do not crow, you can say yes its a she, but if SHE is crowing then she is a he LOL maybe you better post a pic of her/he so the experts here can tell you what it is.


Welsummer hens and roosters have distinctly different feathering.  I am expert enough to tell the difference.

post #5 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Cluck View Post

Actually, some hens Do crow. We had a mutt hen that laid eggs and crowed every morning. She was an only, so that may have had something to do with it.  We got her as an adult from our local humane society (who foolishly told my youngest daughter "If you can catch it, you can keep it" - enough said).

I called the humane society where we got her (had no info for us - maybe she is really a he? - really? roosters lay eggs???)
 

Called Several Vets in the area. The farm vet told us "yes, hens can crow. Try giving her layer pellets as that may help with "rebalancing her hormones. This is only the third crowing hen I have heard of in my entire life." (they didn't)

Called animal control before the neighbors could to explain the situation (they were surprised that our "rooster" laid eggs)

 

Called the neighbors to explain that yes, she is a hen that lays eggs. we don't know why she crows or how to stop it, called animal control, several vets and the humane society and got very little help, but we will try. They didn't believe us either.

She finally stopped crowing when she was taken out overnight by feral cats. She would insist on roosting high up in a large oak tree and we couldn't get her into a pen no matter what we tried. She was a cagey bird for the most part.

 

 

Edited to add: Her crow sounded like the first crow a cockerel makes - a rather gurgly cock a doodle doo. (really more like err erooo)
 


I started them on layer feed about a week ago, hopefully that will help.

Her "crow" sounds like errRRR.  Not quite like a real rooster, definitely not as loud.

post #6 of 30

I wouldn't worry about it. Layer pellets may or may not help, but they certainly won't hurt.

A crowing hen is not that unusual, nor is it dangerous for her to crow. Just let her be.

 

If you have a rooster, she may eventually stop. If you do not have a rooster, she may continue her crowing. Or she may stop. Who knows?  

 

Some people think it is a dominance thing (alpha hen crows to establish her place in the world), but if this were true, all roosterless flocks would have a crowing hen (and we know they don't).

 

I'm not an expert by any means, but if you can stand it (and your neighbors don't complain) just let her be. Maybe post a You Tube video of her doing her thing.

Enjoy your birds.love.gif
 

One chicken. One duck. I think I need more.
[Plenty of Kids, dogs, cats.
[One loving, soft-hearted husband. I am rich!

Reply

One chicken. One duck. I think I need more.
[Plenty of Kids, dogs, cats.
[One loving, soft-hearted husband. I am rich!

Reply
post #7 of 30

I would like to see a picture please!!!

Proud owner of a Shih Tzu (Snickers), 4 cats (Peppy, Gizmo, Lil Kitty, and Lindy), 2 chinchillas (Ivory & Ebony), 4 guinea pigs (Ozzie, Freckles, Baby Girl, and Zack), 18 wonderful chickens, 5 quacking ducks, and a beta fish RIP ChiChi & Chia <3
Reply
Proud owner of a Shih Tzu (Snickers), 4 cats (Peppy, Gizmo, Lil Kitty, and Lindy), 2 chinchillas (Ivory & Ebony), 4 guinea pigs (Ozzie, Freckles, Baby Girl, and Zack), 18 wonderful chickens, 5 quacking ducks, and a beta fish RIP ChiChi & Chia <3
Reply
post #8 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenPerson View Post

I would like to see a picture please!!!


She looks just like the chicken in my avatar.

post #9 of 30

I've had a couple hens try to crow.  We went without a rooster for a while and a couple hens took it upon themselves to crow and "mate" the other hens.  The crows were comical at best, but I knew what was happening.  LOL  It was a very confusing time in our backyard.  

Rhonda--
USCG wife and mom of 2 kids
Reply
Rhonda--
USCG wife and mom of 2 kids
Reply
post #10 of 30
Thread Starter 

Update:  She now rarely crows.  I think she wanted attention from me.  I used to ignore her, thinking I would reinforce unwanted behavior if I gave her attention. So now I make a point of talking to her directly and giving her attention.  If she needs attention she lets me know. lol  SHE lays a very nice dark brown egg.  I changed the pic in my avatar so it is no longer a Welsummer hen.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying › How Do You Stop a Hen From Crowing?