Hi everyone, I'm Kim. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my chicks, that should ship July 9! I my brooder is ready and my coop was built last weekend. I can't wait to dig in and talk with everyone and learn a lot!
Here are my answers to the questions template:
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I am new to raising my own chickens, but my grandparents had a farm that had lots of animals, including chickens, ducks, geese, goats, cows, rabbits, and pigs. I loved it there and spent as much time away from the city as I could! Four years ago, my husband and I bought a house on an acre of land - the first things I said was, 'now I can have some chickens!' It's taken this long to convince him. lol
(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I will be getting 5 next week. Naming them after characters in the movie The Color Purple. lol
(3) What breeds do you have? I will have 3 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Barred Plymouth Rock, and 1 White Plymouth Rock
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? I did a lot of online reading about raising chickens. This site was recommended on many sites.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I love to read, write (working on a novel now).
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I am married, my husbands name is Dave. I teach high school English and Dave is a mechanic. We have two daughters, Hannah, our oldest leaves for college in the fall - our youngest is 14 and is about to be a freshman in high school. We have five dogs - 2 dachshunds and 3 chihuahuas, we also have fish and a gerbil (I LOVE animals!)