I just got 2 ducklings (3 weeks old) and 4 goslings (9 weeks old). I have never owned fowl before, can someone give me some advice on how to take care of these things? I've been giving them lots of fresh water and starter feed for the duckies, grass and grain for the geese. The ducks stay inside the house, and the geese are outside.
- When do I switch ducklings from starter feed to adult feed?
- Are my geese alright outside in the rain? they have a house and a tarp over the pen but they won't use either!
- When can the ducks go outside with the geese?
- When do they(both ducks and geese) mature sexually?
- When is breeding season? (I don't want babies so I hope to separate them during breeding season)
- Do they need vaccinations?
- When can the ducklings start eating fruit/grass/etc?
- At 3 weeks old do the ducklings need a heat lamp? they seem to avoid it sometimes and love it other times.
- What kind of feed is best for my geese and ducks?
- Are there any common diseases or health problems I should keep an eye out for?
- Is it ok if there are non-poisonous (but prickly!) rose bushes in my goose pen?
- Any plants that could be harmful that I should remove from the pen?
- Is hay a suitable bedding for my ducklings?
- How often should I clean the swimming pool? (they have both a pool for playing as well as fresh drinking water at all times)
- I noticed my female duckling opening her mouth wide a couple times between eating and drinking. Was she choking? should I be concerned about this behavior?
Any and all responses are sincerely appreciated. I just want to give my birds a good home and ensure that I'm caring for them properly! Thanks everyone!