Sorry shelbear, that just sucks!
Setting eggs on July 9th, anyone want to join me? - Page 6
Do yourself a favor. Run that incubator and monitor temps for an extra day and make sure it's steady. Too many excited people toss in eggs the second the have a bator. Sometimes that's a problem and temps skyrocket and cook eggs. Double check your run for 24 hours, the sanity you save will be your own.
hey i wanna join please :0 i set my 15 eggs from my backyard hens
(since it seems like they arent EVER gonna sit on em lol )
anyway, i set 15 eggs on july 10th so were basically on the same track ! :)
keep me posted with what goes on during ur egg incubation and ill tell u whats goin on ova here :D how bout that?
ok all!! Got my eggs in the mail tonight, so will set first thing in the morning!! I am so nervous and excited to start my first hatch... Have some question for my "hatching buddies" that have done this a few times...
1. I candled the eggs when I got them and there was a "bubble" that floated to the top no matter which way I turned it... is that a bad thing?
2. Should I do anything different because of question 1?
3. I am letting them set on the counter untill tomorrow morning, should I start them with the egg turner off for a period of time?
4. if the answer to 3 is yes, how long?
5. What should the humidity be?? I did research and everything I have read says 34% to 42% till day 18... is that right?
6. Will tomorrow be day 1 or like a preday 1?? because I don't wanna put em in lockdown too soon.... so will the 29th be day 18 or the 30th?
7. Last, but not least... What the heck was I thinking getting myself into this!?!
I am sorry for all the question but I feel like I am going crazy!! Who knew I would be this crazy nervous over chickens....
OH right, my DH!!! LOL
I'm really new and I saw your post on the other thread that you lost all your eggs Shelbear, sorry but!!!! After reading this I have to tell you flipping eggs end over end to candle them will knock them out of the hatching game. Eggs can be rolled side to side with the big end up, but NEVER flip your eggs end to end, little end to big end. Not sure if that is why they didn't grow?!?!?! You candle from the top looking down, through the bottom, around the sides, even lay it on it's side big end up, but never flip them end to end. And set date is always day zero, count the 1st 24 hrs as day 1. Someone has probably already told you this but just reading it now, lol....
I haven't gone through and candled all of mine..just a few, but I think the Sizzle eggs are goners. 1 looks like it might be starting to get a blood ring and the other two don't even look like they started. All the eggs from the same shipment...I'm not expecting much from =( The Olive eggers look good though. I just really wanted the Speckled Sussex