BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › My chicken ate a large piece of rock - what to do?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My chicken ate a large piece of rock - what to do?

post #1 of 3
Thread Starter 

Hi everyone,

 

My 6yo was "showing" our 3-month old Rhode Island Red a large piece of a geode she just got and before she knew it, the bird had snatched up the rock and swallowed it.  Anyone know what's going to happen to that rock?  Will it just stay in her gizzard and help grind up food?  I'm worried about if she tries to pass it. 

 

We are totally new to chickens and have zero experience with this, so any advice would be great!

 

Thanks so much!

post #2 of 3

If it is not too big, I'd imagine it will end up in the gizzard until it smooths out and then passes. If it is too large, I'd worry about it causing a blockage or something.

 

I hope it will be ok!!!

 

Chickens swallow all kinds of horrible things - I once had one swallow a tarp string/piece.

Black Australorps, Easter Eggers, Buff Minorcas, and Nankins. 

“How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.” - William Shakespeare
 

Reply

Black Australorps, Easter Eggers, Buff Minorcas, and Nankins. 

“How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.” - William Shakespeare
 

Reply
post #3 of 3
Thread Starter 

My daughter and my husband said it was pretty big...but it's a fragile rock, so hopefully, it will break up easily.  I hope she doesn't get a blockage.  Thanks for your comment!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › My chicken ate a large piece of rock - what to do?